• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Results Heflin, AL 7.24.21

Hi everyone!

Man what a great shoot!! We had the Field Target course set up, as well as Bench Rest. Two shooters shot Bench Rest only. Four shooters shot the One Gun Aggregate.

The Aggregate is a work in progress right now. We will be adding other disciplines to it, probably a speed component with silhouettes like the gunslinger or perhaps standard airgun silhouette for more offhand practice.

So here is the basic premise of the One Gun Aggregate. You shoot both Bench Rest and Field Target with the same rifle, scope, pellets, etc. By definition, you will be limited by 20 foot pounds because of the power level limitations in FT. We all shoot 50 yard Bench Rest cards to better learn the wind for the FT course.

if you shoot HV Bench Rest (20fpe) then you would most likely compete in AFFTA Hunter or AAFTA Open. If you shoot LV (12fpe) in Bench Rest, you would shoot WFTF or UKHFT. Of course, you can also shoot AAFTA Hunter or AAFTA Open at 12fpe but you'll be shooting against more power rifles.

The purpose of the Bench Rest portion of the Aggregate is to help a FT shooter learn the effects of the wind, timing heart beat impulses, etc. It removes some of the variables inherent to FT so the wind and one's heart rate can be more easity observed and planned for. Any events added to the Aggregate will further support self improvement. 

Of course, anyone can shoot just Field Target (or a full course of both FT and BR).

Last Saturday we shot one 50 yard Bench Rest Card and then a 48 shot FT course. Normalizing everything to 25 shots worked out math wise but was unnecessarily complicated. So what I decided to do was show each shooter's percentage on each leg of the course. Then I added each percentage together and divided by 2 for an overall course average. . As it stands right now, your percentage is your score. To be a 90% shooter you would need a FT score of 43/48 and a BR score of 225/250. Everyone shot better bench rest averages than FT.

I'm also not a math major so if there is a better way, I'm all ears. I'm just trying to put both disciplines on the same scoring plane. However, I think this will be a good way to look at the match as a whole and it shouldn't matter how many shots are taken because we'll be looking at each match leg as points scored over points possible.

I'll list the raw scores and everyting multiplied out. Please check my math. If anyone has a better way of scoring the match, please let me know.

Bench Rest/ Field Target Aggregate

Rod Bradley: LV BR 172/250 (.688%). AAFTA Hunter FT 28/48 (.583%) Score (.634%) 

Mike Loar: HV BR 193/250. (.772%) AAFTA Hunter FT 29/48 (.604%) Score (.688%)

Dan Ward HV BR 202/250 (.808%) AAFTA Hunter FT 38/48 (.792%) Score (.800%) 

Paul Oswalt HV BR 215/250 (.860%) AAFTA Hunter FT 37/48 (.771%) Score: (.816%)

Bench Rest

Light Varmint

Sam Hunt 590/750

Michael Montgomery DNF

It was good to shoot some FT again. Everyone that shot the One Gun Aggregate really liked it. We will be adding to it, probably something timed. Looking forward to next time!

Paul