• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Resin printed baffles

I may be wrong but a solid core could be more efficient?

revers flats.JPG

In my testing different designs and machining out the baffles on a lathe a mono core would be noisier than a simple flat washer design. The only way the more involved baffle designs out perform a simple hollow tube or simple two or three washer design is if they are much longer and larger in diameter. Of course this all depends on the power output of the pcp. A mono core like you have pictured would work pretty good on a low power tuned pcp but would be louder on a higher power pcp. That design just eats up to much volume and has chambers that are to small. When the chambers are to small they fill quickly and the majority of the main air blast continues to pass thru to the end of the device. When that happens the velocity of the air is still fast enough to create a louder louder report than you would want if you were using a silenced air rifle.

M quietest design so far has been a 1.5" od tube with a 2" blast chamber, flat baffle, 1" chamber, flat baffle, 1" chamber, flat baffle then a final 2" chamber with a coned end cap. Adding more baffles made it louder and making the baffles more exotic than a simple flat faced washer also made it louder. Take a look at hugget and other moderator designs that are basically a hollow tube with some felt material and no real baffles. They are considered some of the best at sound moderation. The design has more volume to allow the main air stream to drop in velocity before exiting. If you stuck a mono core or a bunch of baffles in that tube it would be louder.

My design that I just explained works very good and sounds as good as a hugget I have but I believe I could improve it even more. I am going to stick with my large volume chambers but I will be trying different baffle designs to try and improve on it and trying some sound dampening material as well. It will be fun to play around with the design. Using a printer instead of a manual lathe for baffle production will cut down on time allowing me to try more designs and play with layout more. Thats been my experience so far making moderators and other people may have different experiences.

Reactions: OldSpook