• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Researching my first PCP... I think I'm ready.

Vance

Dec 20, 2017
PA
Hello, I've been reading through the forum and I'm almost ready to jump into the deep end. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. Back yard hunting is primarily what I'm going to be doing, I need the power to kill possums and large raccoons. My primary concern after that is noise, I have really close neighbors. Also needs to be as short as possible.

The Hatsan AT P2 QE .25 looks about perfect for my needs. It gets 22ft/lbs which should be enough for a large raccoon, I'm not shooting anything past 40 yards, most shots will be 20 or less. From what I can tell its very quiet. A compact size is very important for how I'll be shooting. Bonus, the P2 is easy to fill with a hand pump. Only downside is I'll eventually want a "better" gun for shooting longer range.

Also looked at the AT44-10 QE TACT. Its not as short as the P2 but it has quite a bit more power, more than I probably need for now. I think its louder than the P2 QE but I'm not sure.

I really want the Kral Puncher Breaker but its just not quiet enough for me. Anything much more expensive is out of my price range for now. I can go up to a $750 if there is another super short, dead silent gun I'm unaware of. I haven't looked at used guns yet.

Should I consider getting a Hatsan Gladius instead? It would be pushing my budget for now but I might not feel the need to upgrade in a year or two. I'm worried it might be too loud and/or overkill for shooting small game at close ranges in my back yard. I am aware that you can turn down the power but I don't know how much that effects the sound.

tl/dr- is the AT P2 QE good enough for killing raccoons close up in my back yard with neighbors near by or should I get something better?

First pre-charged rig?

Personally 20 shots on a fill with a fps spread of 180fps would NOT suit me. A 10 shot sweet spot spread of 80fps isn't good either. You will have a very hard time learning the poa/poi on any given shot. 

If you want light & short - but the ap isnt that short really- maybe try a marauder pistol?

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy but sometimes esp. when starting out a popular rig works out better than the cool looking rig.

How far to your closest airgunner or match?

John

Sounds like he might be pesting to me......If those pests include tree rats, real rats/mice you might in the area of too much oomph.

In reading your OP, it did not sound like this is hunting, just taking a shot to remove something doing damage and that is it....so really shot count would not come into play IF that is what you are looking for.

For a while I was doing a lot of pesting in barns.....over penetration was a real issue for me, It was denting my building, and even hitting the glass on tractors....NOT GOOD.

IF, and again IF you are going after other critters that are smaller and lighter built, you might find yourself needing more then one tool for the job, or something that you can real easy dial down the power, and have an excellent idea on what that does to your shot.....In my experience even the real high end guns did not have that perfect....dialing the power around will not put you right back where it was before you started messing with that wheel.

"spysir"First pre-charged rig?
Personally 20 shots on a fill with a fps spread of 180fps would NOT suit me. A 10 shot sweet spot spread of 80fps isn't good either. You will have a very hard time learning the poa/poi on any given shot. 
If you want light & short - but the ap isnt that short really- maybe try a marauder pistol?
I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy but sometimes esp. when starting out a popular rig works out better than the cool looking rig.
How far to your closest airgunner or match?
John
I already know if I get the P2 or any other pistol I'm going to want another PCP rifle in the future. I need something just good enough for the large pests to hold me over. Ideally I will save up and get a really nice bullpup like the FX Impact in a year or two. 

Just starting out, I'm going to use a hand pump. I heard the Taousa pump for $100 isn't that bad. Sometime next year I'd like to get a booster pump or compressor before I move on to a rifle with a big tank.

I honestly have no idea where matches are held around here. I don't know anyone that's into airgunning. How can I find out?

"fpgt72"Sounds like he might be pesting to me......If those pests include tree rats, real rats/mice you might in the area of too much oomph.
In reading your OP, it did not sound like this is hunting, just taking a shot to remove something doing damage and that is it....so really shot count would not come into play IF that is what you are looking for.
For a while I was doing a lot of pesting in barns.....over penetration was a real issue for me, It was denting my building, and even hitting the glass on tractors....NOT GOOD.
IF, and again IF you are going after other critters that are smaller and lighter built, you might find yourself needing more then one tool for the job, or something that you can real easy dial down the power, and have an excellent idea on what that does to your shot.....In my experience even the real high end guns did not have that perfect....dialing the power around will not put you right back where it was before you started messing with that wheel.
I wouldn't really consider this hunting. I have a problem with raccoons and possums getting into my garbage. I'm a contractor so I save up garbage bags from work in my yard until I have a full load. Theses animals like to tear into them so they need to go. 

I already have plenty of guns for hunting but I can't use them in my back yard. I need a really quiet air rifle that has the power for these larger pests. Ill be using night vision and shooting at night so I don't want to wake the neighbors. My yard is tight and I'll probably have to shoot off a small back porch, so I need a compact gun.

I'm not worried about round count or weight and smaller tank is appealing because I'm just getting a hand pump.

.22 will generally be quieter. .22 will be fine to take care of most of those critters as long as placement is good. So that being said, Accuracy will trump more power. You also have to consider that it will require more power from the gun to push a bigger pellet out of that 10” while a lesser caliber will require less and fly flatter. 
Consider buying used. You can get more quality for your price point. 
Consider waiting about 40 days or so. Shot Show is coming, along with new models, and a bunch of us that absolutely positively must have the latest and greatest and will sell lightly used guns for much less. 
Consider your air source. Don’t underestimate your air source. It’s more important than the gun. 
Beware of those Krals, I have read a lot of quality control issues with them. It will cost you more than what you spent on it. 
Good luck. 

"Vance"So I'm looking at the Air force TalonP and I really like what I see. Are moderators from Talon tunes good or should I keep looking? They have a 9" moderator for $175. Would this setup be more or less quiet than a P2 QE?
Call Donny FL and see what he recommends. His moderators are generally better and cheaper than the others. 

I really want the Kral Puncher Breaker but its just not quiet enough for me. Anything much more expensive is out of my price range for now. I can go up to a $750 if there is another super short, dead silent gun I’m unaware of. I haven’t looked at used guns yet.

you can can buy a .25 Kral puncher breaker from annihilator Airguns with in your budget...with his quiet kit installed and his valve set up all done,it’s super quiet 

You mentioned night vision, one problem you might have is with scope height. The air Force guns with their design already have the scopes riding high, add a weaver-picatinney adapter and a scope like the ATN xsight and you'll probably be higher than the 100 mm/ 4" ? max I believe they have for their calibration. A Marauder with the BKL adapters put a Yukon 2.5X50 at 3" over the bore. I very successfully used a Disco able to use the cheapo UTG mount shooting at 10-12 yds I wacked 8 raccoons in my crawl space. I later hooked up the Yukon on a .25 Sumatra, shooting 44 grain at 20 yards consistently did pass thru's On another occasion 8 pumps from a 1377 and a 8 foot shot to the head on a large male in my attic, he flailed and sprouted blood. The new Maximus has users raving about accuracy, at 2000 psi it's very easy to pump. A threaded barrel add on are 50-60 and you should be good to go at distances of 30 yds and less

"Vance"
"fpgt72"Sounds like he might be pesting to me......If those pests include tree rats, real rats/mice you might in the area of too much oomph.
I wouldn't really consider this hunting. I have a problem with raccoons and possums getting into my garbage. I'm a contractor so I save up garbage bags from work in my yard until I have a full load. Theses animals like to tear into them so they need to go. 
I already have plenty of guns for hunting but I can't use them in my back yard. I need a really quiet air rifle that has the power for these larger pests. Ill be using night vision and shooting at night so I don't want to wake the neighbors. My yard is tight and I'll probably have to shoot off a small back porch, so I need a compact gun.
I'm not worried about round count or weight and smaller tank is appealing because I'm just getting a hand pump.
I always chime in with this and it might be a broken record....but if you are in town please check with your local laws....make sure you are ok shooting an air gun where you are.

Past that I agree and would go with a 25.....there are a few spring guns that are 25's and one 30 i think, but these are monsters....and it will take practice to shoot well. going with pcp will have a much more shallow learning curve....and shoot more like the rifles you are use to.

Good luck.