HW/Weihrauch Resealing an early HW70

So one landed here this weekend. Says HW70, made for Beeman’s. Serial 104527, no idea how old. Has a nice HW medalion on the grip and no safety.

It was non functional, all dried up. I will clean it up and put it back together with this seal. It has some marks in it and may be a little brittle.

I would like to find a new seal.

View attachment 418968

20231225_215150.jpg

20231225_215325.jpg

20231225_215247.jpg

20231225_215231.jpg

Reactions: Bandito
that is the second version of the seal
and both non safety pistols have 2 different style seals and both are not available as of now
When Mark Knibbs from Knibbs gets back to me i will know more
but i think that the pistol will have to be upgraded to the new style piston and seal and the rear of the piston has the same look new and old but it will be 40-50 bucks at Chambers get a breech seal also
hw70a.jpg

Had a very busy pre Christmas period so have not been in to have answered this.
I have tuned a few of these.
You can usually get hold of the Teflon seal for these from Chambers. it is best to spin it down (in situ on the piston) in the lathe, or make yourself a little adapter bung to fit a battery drill if you do not have one. Polishing down the seal (they always come over size) until it starts to slip in to the piston chamber. Do not worry about going under size, indeed it's beneficial, as these type seals will grow out to fit during the first few 100 shots and Teflon seals always fit better if having growed out, rather than squeezing in.
Teflon fails to seal correctly without using the correct lube. Make sure it gets a smear of Silicon lube and use some Superlube on the rear of the piston.....Superlube will do at a pinch on the seal also, but avoid moly.

Alternatively, for the skilled, you can make your own leather cup, after drilling and tapping the piston face for a 4mm countersunk screw..

I used a Nylon washer for a slip ring on the guide, but again make your own on the lathe and get about 470 fps and 1/2 inch 10 yard groups with AA Express ....about the best pellet in this gun ...Strangely it did not seem to like Hobby.

Last edited:
Interesting how mine says “Beeman’s” with the ‘s. My medallion is fancy, as is the custom link pin.

So the new style piston will fit? What about the rear sight assembly?
I was going to buy a sight, may as well order the piston.

Nice, I will have more into it than a new one. I will buy a new one just to spite myself.

Then I will have two…

IMG_3204.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

Interesting how mine says “Beeman’s” with the ‘s. My medallion is fancy, as is the custom link pin.

So the new style piston will fit? What about the rear sight assembly?
I was going to buy a sight, may as well order the piston.

Nice, I will have more into it than a new one. I will buy a new one just to spite myself.

Then I will have two…

View attachment 419083

View attachment 419082

I have found that's the beauty in buying vintage airguns, you have the opportunity to amass impressive cost overruns and discover innovative modifications by previous owners!
I can't stop though.
My HW70 is marked Made for Beemans also.

Had a very busy pre Christmas period so have not been in to have answered this.
I have tuned a few of these.
You can usually get hold of the Teflon seal for these from Chambers. it is best to spin it down (in situ on the piston) in the lathe, or make yourself a little adapter bung to fit a battery drill if you do not have one. Polishing down the seal (they always come over size) until it starts to slip in to the piston chamber. Do not worry about going under size, indeed it's beneficial, as these type seals will grow out to fit during the first few 100 shots and Teflon seals always fit better if having growed out, rather than squeezing in.
Teflon fails to seal correctly without using the correct lube. Make sure it gets a smear of Silicon lube and use some Superlube on the rear of the piston.....Superlube will do at a pinch on the seal also, but avoid moly.

Alternatively, for the skilled, you can make your own leather cup, after drilling and tapping the piston face for a 4mm countersunk screw..

I used a Nylon washer for a slip ring on the guide, but again make your own on the lathe and get about 470 fps and 1/2 inch 10 yard groups with AA Express ....about the best pellet in this gun ...Strangely it did not seem to like Hobby.
AA Express?
I have been shooting RWS R10 7gr., and RWS Basic 7gr, and mine doesn't like Hobby's either.