Diana Resealed my first springer!

Pale_Rider

Feb 16, 2019
US
A while back I saw a post saying there was a Diana Model 6 for sale on eBay. Not many people were bidding on it, probably because it needed new seals. I ended up winning the auction for a great price. I bought new seals and researched how to disassemble this old gem. New seals came in and I started the disassembly. Came to a halt when I couldn’t remove the cog caps. Seemed like they were epoxied on there. Put it away for a few weeks as I contemplated sending it off to David Slade or trying to remove them with some leather and channies. Said to hell with it and was able to remove the caps without marring them. Luckily the cogs were in excellent condition.
IMG_0018.jpeg

Next, I Jerry rigged an old dewalt clamp to be my compressor as mentioned in one of the tutorials. Removing the spring revealed a decrepit front seal that was stuck to the front of the tube. I let it soak in acetone then used a sharpened plastic cleaning rod to scrape it out. Smoothed out any sharp edges in the tube, replaced the seals, applied a little krytox and buttoned everything back up. The rear seal didn’t look too bad but I replaced it anyway. I noticed it doesn’t have a parachute like the new seal.

IMG_0019.jpeg

Took the first shot and couldn’t help but smile as the pellet travelled out of the barrel with no recoil. Shooting a recoilless springer is something that must be experienced by every airgunner. It’s like a magic trick. You pull the trigger and it doesn’t even feel like a pellet came out.

IMG_0106.jpeg

I dont have many .177 pellets on hand but it’s showing some good accuracy. I bet it could get even better with the right pellet. Here’s 5 shots at 15 yards with 10.3 JSBs. Shot off a split log.

IMG_0104.jpeg

None of this would’ve been possible with out the knowledge shared from @Motorhead, @Feinwerk, @marflow and @Bigragu. These guys shared the tutorials and tips I used to get this done. Also, thanks to the guy (sorry don’t remember your handle) who posted about it being on eBay. Without that post I wouldn’t have this unique piece.

*don’t know why my pics are not coming out.

Last edited:
the gear cap are easier to take off when you put pressure on the rear piston
that takes the pressure off the cap pin but they can be a problem
as a owner of 9 or 10 model 6 pistols and 4 10's i know them well
if done again just use rubbing alcohol less stinky
the rear cap at the end of the job is always fun how did that go for you
they make spacer but i started using Teflon material in .3mm and .5mm thicknesses with those two sizes i can make any thickness i need

well glad you got it done so enjoy and pellets
i would use 7gr only for best FPS, i use RWS R-10 and Meisterkugeln
and thank you for buying that pistol i am sure i had it marked and i didn't need another one

and i will say this again they are a gun that takes time to rebuild and you cannot be in a hurry

Mike

the gear cap are easier to take off when you put pressure on the rear piston
that takes the pressure off the cap pin but they can be a problem
as a owner of 9 or 10 model 6 pistols and 4 10's i know them well
if done again just use rubbing alcohol less stinky
the rear cap at the end of the job is always fun how did that go for you
they make spacer but i started using Teflon material in .3mm and .5mm thicknesses with those two sizes i can make any thickness i need

well glad you got it done so enjoy and pellets
i would use 7gr only for best FPS, i use RWS R-10 and Meisterkugeln
and thank you for buying that pistol i am sure i had it marked and i didn't need another one

and i will say this again they are a gun that takes time to rebuild and you cannot be in a hurry

Mike
I was applying pressure to the spring but the cog caps were very hard to remove. Could not remove them by hand. The rear cap was easy to put back on I did it without the compressor. There was a shim there that was labeled 0.8 mm thickness. I used Motorheads advice on adjusting the rear cap. Worked like a charm. Thanks for not bidding on it. The price was right.

You feel better when you diy .

Ya gain the knowledge, experience, and satisfaction . A bit of pride as well..
One hundred percent! It’s more rewarding when you shoot a gun that is shooting because you fixed it. I try to do as much things myself from changing my oil to fixing my airguns. Looking back through the decades of man’s evolution it seems society is hell bent on making man less self sufficient. Relying on the govt like a baby relies on its mamas tit. A lot of guys my age would be lost if they didn’t have the conveniences of modern society. I’m not saying I’m better than them but if the time comes when society can’t fulfill my needs I know I’ll be ok.

Nice job on the 6. I'm setting here looking at a giss gun that needs a reseal. I'm about to dive into the deep end with it. I've resealed a ton of standard springers but nothing like this and i'd like to think i'm a pretty smart guy but i've been proven wrong before, lol.
It’s one of those things where you think it’s much harder than it actually is. Go for it👍

Reactions: muddydogz
@Pale_Rider ,
Congratulations on your rebuild. It's a nice to hear that you found information we posted to be helpful. It helps make that effort seem worthwhile when others benefit and report the results here .

Your pistol is beautiful as configured.

It's actually time to redo my own, my version is branded a hyScore 816 m with the molded plastic stock.

DIANA 6 HY-SCORE 816 WINCHESTER 363 ARH MANUAL 00 COVER.jpg

I used to like to hang soda cans from the pull tab at 20 yards. I would bend the tab up 90° and tie strings to them and then shoot for the tabs using the iron sights. When you finally nailed one right on the tab the can would go flying off the string - very satisfying.

Regards,
Feinwerk

@Pale_Rider ,
Congratulations on your rebuild. It's a nice to hear that you found information we posted to be helpful. It helps make that effort seem worthwhile when others benefit and report the results here .

Your pistol is beautiful as configured.

It's actually time to redo my own, my version is branded a hyScore 816 m with the molded plastic stock.

View attachment 450057

I used to like to hang soda cans from the pull tab at 20 yards. I would bend the tab up 90° and tie strings to them and then shoot for the tabs using the iron sights. When you finally nailed one right on the tab the can would go flying off the string - very satisfying.

Regards,
Feinwerk
Without the info you posted I would’ve been a lost. I like the iron sights on your pistol. For the range I’ll be shooting it is more appropriate on the pistol. Although, I have no complaints about the beeman scope that came with the pistol. It’s got some good glass.

I’m gonna have to try that soda on a string, paper punching is getting boring.

Looking forward to the post on your reseal,

Michael