• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Required reading for field target competitors and Match Directors

At least the information you are about to read should be required reading. Certainly for every FT shooter that has protested a target (function), and especially for every Match Director that has had to deal with such protests. Trust me, this information is not only extremely enlightening, but intensely interesting!

As an FT competitor for over a decade and Match Director almost as long, I have experienced target protests from both perspectives. Matter of fact target protests can be the difference between championship titles won or lost. So yes, it is THAT important a subject.

I’ll preface this discussion with the declaration that those who know me very well also know that, although I make liberal use of Texan exaggeration/BS for humors sake, otherwise I have utterly NO tolerance whatsoever for untruths or dishonesty. Believe me, the epiphanies in this report are totally devoid of Texaggeration or BS. The truths contained herein, shocking as they will seem to some, were even more-so to me.

Sometimes when a target doesn't fall, inexperienced and experienced FT competitors alike are predisposed to believing they’ve made a scoring shot when they see a pellet mark appear on a kill-zone paddle. Especially if the paddle was freshly painted. Count me among you, sometimes even to this day. This despite the fact I’ve often been the Match Director called to inspect suspect target(s). So with the objectivity born of years of first-hand experience with target-function protests, from both shooter and MD perspectives, I venture to state that in at least 80%, to as much as 90%+ of such apparent target malfunctions the target functioned exactly as it was supposed to. SAY WHAT?! That brings us to why I always tell the protesting shooter to accompany me to inspect the offending target.

On close inspection a freshly painted field target displays graphically and in no uncertain terms when a pellet nicked the inner edge of the kill-zone hole in the face-plate; the deflected pellet registering what the shooter wants to believe a good hit on the paddle. Terms for this are a ‘pellet split’, ‘split pellet’, or just ‘a split’.

To add insult to injury, the compromised pellet sometimes center-punches the paddle, to even more closely mimic a perfect shot. However when the match director, aka- “I”, point to an obvious nick on a freshly-painted face-plate that couldn’t have been there before that “perfect shot”, the best course of action for the MD is to apologize to his shooter for having to point out the undeniable indication of a pellet split. “I’m sorry, but that’s a legitimate zero.”

Only if there is argument is it appropriate to then state, “I’m sorry, but that’s the reality of the situation” while still pointing out the inarguable pellet-split mark on the face-plate. Some of you have seen this; all with much FT experience have. And as previously stated, that is the reality in a majority of failed-to-fall target protests. Again, I’ve been on the giving and receiving end of this more than a few times.

Having taken up Extreme Field Target competition and EFT match directing within the last year, it has been quite an interesting transition to the bigger, heavier targets, calibers, pellets and exponentially higher projectile energies. There is much to learn regarding similarities and differences in EFT target idiosyncrasies, and tuning them for consistent reliability. That being the case, now that I am hosting and directing Extreme Field Target matches I’ve vowed to become intimately familiar with the quirks of the overgrown (and overweight) targets required to withstand and function with near-rimfire terminal ballistics.

For my Inaugural TEXtreme Field Target matches in March I left the target placement and tuning to shooters from Arizona experienced in such matters; including my event sponsor, who generously donated several (expensive) targets to my cause. Thank you Robert (Buchanan), it couldn’t have happened without your support!

That there seemed to be quite a few issues that weekend with my 15 brand-new extreme field targets came as no surprise. Would be the same with brand-new regular field targets emplaced and used for the first time. However I knew from vast experience (with regular field targets) that continuing experience with each target brings better familiarization with individual target personalities, foibles, and tuning requisites required for consistently-dependable function. Left on my own after that Inaugural TEXtreme Field Target weekend, I am obliged to become intimately familiar with some $3000 worth of extreme field targets in order to serve my PAYING competitors as conscientiously as every match director should.

In preparing to host my second EFT match (last Saturday), target tuning was high on the list of priorities. Unlike most regular field targets, thankfully my new extreme targets have sear-engagement screws (bolts, really). Good thing!

In the case of every target that seemed to need tuning after the inaugural TFT match, the sear engagements seemed too rich. In some cases I reduced sear engagements by two revolutions of the adjusting bolt, to achieve what seemed the best compromise between the target dependably falling to paddle hits, but not falling to face-plate hits. In a few cases it seemed a difficult compromise to find; again no surprise based on years of tuning regular field targets. It quickly became obvious that the most overgrown extreme targets were the also the most obstinate. Believe me, those sear-engagement adjusting bolts are a God-send!

For mechanical reasons too difficult to convey here, by Saturdays match I was wondering if large, tall, and/or heavy extreme field targets can actually be tuned to levels of consistently dependable function. Even began to seriously doubt if some could.

Saturdays competitions to consist of two 32 shot matches, with all 11 shooters shooting each of the 16 targets four times with powerful PCPs, I was more than a little n-n-nervous about dependable function of my targets. Each target to sustain over 700 hits from airguns averaging 60 foot pounds of muzzle energy would be a very revealing, and potentially embarrassing, test. Thankfully my shooters are a forgiving bunch, and not disposed to whining.

Nevertheless during and after the matches many, if not most shooters, including myself, felt they’d had targets fail to fall to good hits on the paddles. But all had a great time, writing off some target failures to the nature of the Extreme Field Target game. I even witnessed what I could only explain as a clear failure from a good hit by a squad-mate; leaving me then convinced some large, heavy targets might not could be made dependable (enough).

In my opinion the worst of the lot was a very heavy, large bison target that I’d invested the most time and effort trying to tune to dependability. It so happened to also be the target I witnessed fail to my squad-mates shot, and the most difficult to find a good sear adjustment.

So with yesterdays matches behind me, this morning I checked the bison to try to ascertain if my suspicions about its issues were correct. Initial inspection suggested yes. But during that inspection I noticed very few face-plate hits out of 704 shots taken on the bison (and each target). Then came an epiphany that it might be pretty easy to compare the (few) face-plate hits on the bison to the total number of bison zeroes on every shooters score-cards. 

The next leap of logic came easily enough. I could conduct a forensic investigation of every ‘problem’ target to get some idea of each targets dependability (to fall to paddle hits, but not face-plate hits). However, to insure as much accuracy of results as possible, the investigation must be free of influence by personal opinion(s), bias(es), or agenda(s). In other words, unlike so-called ‘independent investigations’ so common and meaningless nowadays. My investigation protocols would insure, for lack of a better term, a ‘blind taste test’, devoid of nefarious influences.

So BEFORE counting face-plate hits, I counted every miss on every shooters’ scorecard on each of the six suspect targets, and recorded those numbers. Only then did I leave that information in the house to carefully count faceplate hits and splits on the suspect targets scattered around the field target course, with the aid of my now-omnipresent 3x reading glasses (go ahead and have a good laugh; I can't see you). Aforementioned protocols insured unbiased and unskewed results of the investigation. And though I hoped to get at least enough quantification of target failures to approximate the severity of the problem, I had little expectation of the extent of the problem coming into better than fuzzy focus.

But one-by-one the number of misses on the scorecards agreed with the number of hits counted on each suspect-target's face-plate. In fact, even to the extent that EXCLUDING MINOR SPLITS, BUT INCLUDING MAJOR SPLITS brought the numbers into 100% agreement! On only two of the six suspect targets did the counts not agree; one target by 1 miss, the other by 2. I was stunned that the numbers agreed so closely; more stunned at the evidence that target dependability far exceeded all expectations.

Confident in my investigation protocols and the accuracy of all counts, my surprise turned to shock. Then, epiphanies. One epiphany led to another. Within minutes, multiple epiphanies. That hasn’t happened since I lost my virginity!

Upon calling the winner of all Saturdays matches to explain my investigation and results, Derrick exposed the hit-miss count discrepancy on the target with a single discrepancy. He had taken an extra shot on that particular target because the target was already down when he took his first shot at it! Yes, sometimes FT shooters shoot a target they don’t realize is down. In fact, on Saturday I took two shots at a target before realizing it was down (I’d already figured that into the count of pellet strikes on that face-plate before Derrick exposed the reason for the counts discrepancy on the downed target he shot). Derrick's information brought all but one suspect target into 100% counts agreement, and me into a deeper state of shock.

Shortly thereafter I called another buddy to discuss my investigation and findings. Upon telling him of my surprise that only one target still displayed a count discrepancy (of 2 hits/misses), Paul replied that he and his squad-mate had each taken one practice shot on the face-plate of that very target after their shots for record! WHOA! That piece of evidence, stumbled upon by pure, dumb luck, brought the count comparisons into 100% agreement on every suspect target!

I'd have never believed it; neither before nor after the match. But the investigation was righteous, and the numbers don’t lie.

Epiphany #1- Every target functioned flawlessly throughout both of Saturdays matches.

Epiphany #2- Despite near universal agreement among the competitors that we’d experienced several target failures to fall to good hits, NOT SO! The target problems were all in our minds, imaginations, and egos.

Epiphany #3- This agrees closely with my experience(s) in regular field target, from both shooter and match director perspectives.

Epiphany #4- My extreme field target tuning was not only better than I’d thought, but better than I could have hoped!

Epiphany #5- My dread of endless yet futile extreme field target tuning ended as quickly as a seventeen year-old’s virginity in the back-seat of a '70 Chevy Nova! WAIT…

Perhaps I digress.

Reactions: Beginner
I sure think the higher power splits have more of a tendency to deflect to the center of the paddle than 20fpe guns. Perhaps the extra kinetic energy? 

At one of Ben's matches last winter there was nobody on the 2 lanes in front of me, and I was the first shooter in my "squad." That situation resulted in me being the first to shoot at 6, freshly painted targets. 

Sometimes Ben's targets are hard to see kzs but the light and my scope were working in my favor that day. I had three, dead-center of kill zone pellet marks on targets that did not fall in those first 3 lanes. BUT, I could see the pellets that day, and I watched them fall right into the edges of the kill zones, splits. Had I been shooting at shot-up targets, or the light been less favorable, I would have blamed those three as faulty targets. 

Thank you for your post, although I struggled to get through the entire thing. I know nothing of extreme FT but AAFTA FT I have over 30 years with including shooting and running matches. Your investigation is absolutely correct based on my experience. We have over around 13 or 14 different kinds of targets and they ALL work very well, of course assuming that they are checked and maintained. Most usually a target protest is the result of a split pellet that ends up marking the kill zone to look like a really good hit. Unfortunately we do, on rare occasion, get a target failure. These are due to a pull cord getting tangled, debris in the target, or the target being set/placed incorrectly. 

I like most, have been on both sides of this issue but, sorry guys, 99% + of the time we just missed the target!

Incidently, when I have a new target I put it in a match and let the actual shooters test in under match conditions. I let them know it is a new target at the shooters meeting and then check to see if they have any issues. I have yet to have one that has had any serious issue.

Thanks for the efforts on your part, Ron👍

As part of the setup crew on your first event, I was pretty embarrassed at the number of failures on the targets. I'm glad you have found a good setting for them and REALLY glad you found the evidence that your efforts were effective. As multi time course creator, this is my greatest peeve... malfunctioning targets.

Looking forward to the next chance to attend ! GREAT venue and GREAT group there !

Bob

Great reading Ron, and lots of time put into the evaluation and analysis. I do have one question, is the below a local rule that is allowed at TexTreme FT?

"Shortly thereafter I called another buddy to discuss my investigation and findings. Upon telling him of my surprise that only one target still displayed a count discrepancy (of 2 hits/misses), Paul replied that he and his squad-mate had each taken one practice shot on the face-plate of that very target after their shots for record!"

Responses, answers and comments so far, in chronological order-

"I sure think the higher power splits have more of a tendency to deflect to the center of the paddle than 20fpe guns. Perhaps the extra kinetic energy?" 

With limited EFT experience so far, I'm not qualified to give an answer beyond speculation, FL. But it seems to me that many splits in AAFTA field target have an uncanny way of nearly center-punching the KZ/paddle. However I'll speculate that it stands to reason that extreme FT paddles typically being farther behind EFT face-plates would have to allow the same angle of dispersion on EFT splits to land closer to paddle-center. Thank you for the personal-experience anecdotal evidence supporting my experience/findings, Frank.

And thank you too for your hugely-experienced observations supporting mine, Rich. That you struggle to get through my LONG-ASS post tells me I'm not as good a writer as I thought I am, though. "99% + of the time we just missed the target!" Funny you should mention that! I was being purposely conservative with my statement, "in at least 80%, to as much as 90%+", in order to (hopefully) avoid attacks from FT-inexperienced armchair quarterbacks! But I agree; the real number is closer to "90+" than it is to "as much as 80%". 

"I let them know it is a new target at the shooters meeting and then check to see if they have any issues." MoF in the shooters meeting I asked my shooters to note any perceived target issues and let me know about them. They did so (very well) after the first 32 shot match, but voted to not address those issues or repaint targets for the second 32 shot match (probably due to time constraints). I felt bad about that; but in retrospect, both decisions proved to be blessings.

"It is just a game." Agreed, FiF. However as you probably also realize, the higher level the game, and the more $$$, time, travel, and emotional investments, the weirder competitors become; and the more pressure and obliged Match Directors to get it right. In my case that means doing everything possible to maintain a fair and level playing field for all; including ENFORCING ALL RULES. In my long shooting-competitions experience (almost 40 years) I've seen too many MDs fall short on that last part (a strong spine). It ain't easy to enforce ALL rules, especially at the expense of friends. But it MUST be done; otherwise non-enforcement of a single rule renders EVERY rule moot.

"this is my greatest peeve… malfunctioning targets." Peeve certainly, Bobby. I might go so far as to say "fear"; at least in my case on this first solo effort not attached to your, Robert's, and Larry's apron-strings! But to put matters into proper context, if I recall correctly you guys had only one afternoon to assemble, paint, detail, place, and tune 15 brand-new extreme field targets! And if you'll recall, I also had a 35 Foot Pound (maximum) class at Inaugural TFT. It took me all of about two minutes of first-hand experience in extreme field target tuning to realize making a 50 pound, three-foot tall steel bear target (and others) function reliably with hits from -20 to 60+ foot pounds was nothing more than fantasy. And abandon a 35 FP class altogether! Heard a little disappointment about that, but sometimes reality sucks. As far as I'm concerned you guys did a near-superhuman job with the targets. I still can't believe you got it done in such a short window of opportunity. BTW, you look GOOD in that little pink glitter super-hero outfit! I like the little spandex thong most. 😳

"I do have one question, is the below a local rule that is allowed at TexTreme FT?" Thank you for that question Mike; I expected it. In fact, from you. You don't miss much, do you?

Be aware that very few questions to Ron Robinson can he answer concisely. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to address that very subject, that will also be addressed soon in an email to my Ranchito Robinson TFT/BRS list. Also be aware that your question addresses other important points that all shooters and MDs need to be aware of, including how I handle new rules situations. I am going to attempt to answer your question as succinctly as possible, using Saturday examples rather... than decades of countless examples.

I mentioned in my original post that I took TWO shots at a downed target before realizing it was down. No; believe it or not, I wasn't on drugs like I was at Inaugural TFT. After those two shots as I was casing my rifle my squad-mates suggested I should just reshoot that target. Since at that point in the match I was doing pretty well, it was quite a temptation. However I told them no, mark two zeroes.

Recall that when I called Derrick after my investigation he mentioned he'd shot a downed target once, also. He being the least experienced FT shooter in his squad, when an experienced squad-mate told him to reshoot the downed target, he did so and got an X on his score-card. I was right to NOT reshoot, and he was right TO reshoot. No, I haven't lost my last two surviving brain cells.

This shooting downed targets situation having never come up before at my place, much less been addressed in any way, honesty and rules of fair play DICTATE I accept my zeroes, and Derrick get credit for his X... because I am aware of and agree with (most) AAFTA rules, Derrick is not oriented to AAFTA rules, and I have not addressed shooting downed targets in my matches. Also, I must set an example and precedent for (now) informing my shooters of a new rule- they'll have to swallow zeroes from now on if they make the same stupid mistake I made by shooting a downed target! 

About the two shooters in Saturdays matches that took one practice shot each on face-plates that did not count on their score-cards. There was no penalty for that; rightly so. Though (probably) prohibited in AAFTA rules, neither does EFT operate under AAFTA rules, nor had I made any mention to my shooters of practice shots during a match. So they didn't violate any rules... that don't exist. But that rule WILL exist now. And trust me, it WILL be enforced.

BTW, as my Match 2 went haywire on Saturday I also took several practice shots on face-plates during the match in attempts too see where the hell my rifle was shooting. However I instructed my scorer that each of those shots COUNT on my score-card... as it should be for the Match Director aware of AAFTA rules and setting a precedent/example in preparation for (now) instructing his shooters, "Yes, you may take practice shots during a match. Each shot that doesn't drop the target scores a zero on the score-card."

As you may be aware, there is general consensus in Extreme FT that we make as few rules as possible. I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY AGREE! Perhaps that's why I did not foresee the need for the (new, additional) rules I am going to impose now, despite my vast AAFTA expeience. Or perhaps it was just wishful thinking on my part to imagine Extreme FT might be able to avoid eventually having a rules-book rivaling or exceeding AAFTA's. Moot point either way; because whether composed because someone had enough forethought/foresight to make a rule addressing foreseen issues, or new rules become necessary to address unforeseen issues when they do arise, and MANY WILL, rules are a necessary evil (to avoid chaos and/or maintain fairness and a level playing field).

A match director CANNOT make up new rules during a match that adversely affect a shooter after the fact. Why? Because I say so! Not really, The real reason is because it is impossible to break a rule that does not exist! That's inarguable fact. That my shooters broke rules that did not exist (Saturday) bothers me not at all. Guess I'll now have to make some new rules.

Thanks again for the opportunity to mount my soap-box, Mike. 

Open question- Should I put a lot of fore-thought into possible future problems/issues, and make rules in advance to pre-empt as many future problems/issues as I can imagine? Or should I just be my lazy self and make rules in response to problems and issues as they arise? Or perhaps a compromise to those approaches?

Uh huh…It is like when we used to shoot archery field target and the squad ahead of you would tell you to shoot first because the wind was blowing too hard for them.

Oh the horrors.

Outside in the wind.

They might not win that $2.75 pin…

The operative word is “Field”.

Two months ago my squad mate (a world class WFTF shooter) shot after me (HFT).

I knocked the first target down twice but the 2nd would not budge.

My squad mate was stacking pellets on the KZ of #2 and still no movement. (He shot seven times.)

Then he reset the target and fired again (twice).

Down it went.

By stopping the match you are affecting not only yourself but the shooting rhythm of the entire fraternity.

Great explanation Ron, and I totally agree. We don't have a rule in AZ for shooting plates after the scoring shots either, its just never came up, probably because the vast majority shoot AAFTA Field Target also and just kinda know that isn't allowed. And if they did it on their last target of the round, what does it matter?

I only asked because it MIGHT have been allowed at your range since it IS EXTREME and it is out to 100 yards. 

I agree with you, less rules is better. And no way you can anticipate everything that comes up. I'm assuming neither of the guys that dd it have much experience with AAFTA FT. I think saying 32 (or 40) record shots (for 32 or 40 target shots) is all that really needs to be said.

I also agree with the "standing shot" allowing a bipod. After all, we're all out there to see who shoots best in the Hunter style position, not standing off hand or kneeling. I honestly don't see the point in having any forced position lanes... When I shoot 100 yard Benchrest, I don't have to stand up or kneel to shoot the last row of targets... And when we shoot BRS at your place, we don't have to shoot the Pigs standing or kneeling either... These aren't AAFTA rules as you said, why add something that doesn't really make sense when you don't have to?

PS., I think the way you handled the situation couldn't have been done better and shows lots of experience and wisdom in doing the thankless Match Director job. ;)

I will add to the split observation. I was shooting well in a grand prix event and could watch my pellet into the target. Two shots on the second day, first target, pellets went straight to the kill zone, marked the center of the paddle, where I thought it should hit from watching the pellet, but no target fall. I didn't want my fellow competitors to be out of luck with the target, so we called a cold line to have it checked. Turns out to have been a split on the low side. Even though it looked like a good shot, the pellet dropped low at the end and split on the bottom. So it could look like a good shot, but just falls a bit low at the end. For AAFTA targets, most of them lock up tighter with a split, so more energy is required to knock them down.

Just my 2¢.

Daniel Putz