• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Report card for first NRL22 match

Long story short, I had a lot of fun and got my butt handed to me. I used a 10/22, not an airgun, but the results would have been the same whatever I shot.

Match prep - A-
I got to the match an hour early and I brought everything I need and was dressed appropriately for the weather. I watched videos of the stages and practiced what I could. The reason for the minus is that you can always have more practice time.

Gear - A
I had the right gear with me and used the right stuff on each stage. I never had a thought that I should have used a different bag. Gun didn't jam, scope was good.

Time management - B-
I only timed out on one stage on the last shot. The issue was that I had too much time left on the other stages. This tells me that I can shoot slower and get more solid on some of the sketchy positions. I'm going to need to practice with a timer to get a better feel for a 10 or 12 shot sequence.

Shooting - D
First issue was that I didn't spend enough time confirming my zero. It was impossible to see your misses so I didn't figure out that I was half a mil to the right until the fourth stage. As soon as I realized something was off, I should have started shooting the left and right edges to figure it out. Sure, it wastes some shots, but when you are only hitting 2 or 3 per stage you have shots to waste. If you are going to miss anyway, at least get some info from the misses.

Second issue was on the 5th stage. There were 2 targets at 70 yards and 2 targets at 95 yards. My plan was to zero to the 70 yard targets and hold .6 mil on the 95 yard targets. However, I forgot to zero the scope to 70 yards and I didn't write down what the actual hold overs were. I knew it was around 1ml for the 70 and around 1.5 mil for the 95. My guesses didn't go well. I think I hit 3 or 4, but this should have been a pretty easy stage.

Third issue was on the pyramid. You were supposed to shoot from 5 different positions on the pyramid. My plan was to shoot the bottom 3 rungs (prone, low kneeling, kneeling), skip the 4th rung and shoot both sides of the top rung (standing). My reasoning is that the 2nd rung from the top is a crouching position that is the least stable. I didn't think I would be fast enough to shoot prone on both sides of the bottom rung because it's a 6 foot shuffle from one side to the other at the base (turns out this was correct). In the heat of the moment, I found myself on the rung that I meant to avoid and it took forever to try to get steady. I wound up timing out on my last shot on the top rung. Option A would have been to stick with the original plan of shooting the top rung twice. Option B would have been to shoot it the way I did, but shoot the second rung last. If you are going to time out, time out on the worst position.

Outside of the 3rd issue, I shot everything in the right order and felt pretty solid on everything except the sawhorse. I had two mags loaded for every stage, and except for the brain fart on the 5th stage I had the scope dialed for every stage. Honestly that was my biggest concern, I didn't want to flail around shooting the wrong targets or timing out on every stage. I didn't plan on the shooting being the hard part. So lessons were learned and there is plenty of room for improvement. And this thing is much tougher than Youtube would have you believe.

Reactions: Bernie7
Some advice is.\;

Use holdovers and holdoffs as much as possible. This saves time that can be used for different priorities that could increase your hit ratio. Only dial if its a distinct advantage to do so. Hopefully you are using a FFP scope. I found that .2 hash mil reticles helped me excel using holds.

Also just because you are using a 10-22 don't compromise on taking the time to execute good shooting form. I say this because my friend would win our local NRL22 matches with his 10-22 by doing just that. He took that extra time others used to cock their rifles to make a better shot without being so rushed.
I did too using a Fortner action which is almost as fast as a 10-22.

Use great ammo. It needs to do 1/2" at 50Y and not much more than moa at 100Y otherwise you are at a disadvantage from that aspect alone.

Get or borrow all those nicer different sized bags that you see the higher scoring shooters using.

I don't shoot NRL22 anymore but I never got to the point I was happy with my shooting every stage the whole match - in spite of winning it. I just sucked less than the others, lol.
Grrr I hated zeroing a stage, like a KYL, and screwing up a easy win, lol.

Lots of highs and lows in this sport.

But hey you didn't get an F so that's a good start.

Reactions: Centercut
Some advice is.\;

Use holdovers and holdoffs as much as possible. This saves time that can be used for different priorities that could increase your hit ratio. Only dial if its a distinct advantage to do so. Hopefully you are using a FFP scope. I found that .2 hash mil reticles helped me excel using holds.

Also just because you are using a 10-22 don't compromise on taking the time to execute good shooting form. I say this because my friend would win our local NRL22 matches with his 10-22 by doing just that. He took that extra time others used to cock their rifles to make a better shot without being so rushed.
I did too using a Fortner action which is almost as fast as a 10-22.

Use great ammo. It needs to do 1/2" at 50Y and not much more than moa at 100Y otherwise you are at a disadvantage from that aspect alone.

Get or borrow all those nicer different sized bags that you see the higher scoring shooters using.

I don't shoot NRL22 anymore but I never got to the point I was happy with my shooting every stage the whole match - in spite of winning it. I just sucked less than the others, lol.
Grrr I hated zeroing a stage, like a KYL, and screwing up a easy win, lol.

Lots of highs and lows in this sport.

But hey you didn't get an F so that's a good start.
Thanks, I am currently doing all of that except for taking more time on shots. The dialing I was referring to was dialing for the closer target before starting a stage. I held over for everything past the first target, I didn't dial between targets.

Myself and two of my sons shot an nrl22 match for the first time recently. (Shooting Airguns) It was a lot of fun and we plan to continue doing it. I was somewhat unprepared as I hadn’t had time to fine tune my dynamic and work out the trajectory of the ammo/tune I was using. I look forward to beating them guys shooting hi dollar 22s😂 ha-ha

• Haha
Reactions: steve123