• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Replica airguns- especially pistols

I have the Umarex Colt .45 SAA. For the low cost they do pretty good as a replica. I just bought mine for fun plinking in the back yard and camping. When I pull it out everyone wants to handle and shoot it. Reminds me of the westerns. Next replica is a "James Bond" Walther PPK. I would like to pick up a first generation Walther lever action 1894 style gun also.
The real Colt SAA is on my next powder gun list. I'm just trying to find the right one.

The only one that turns my head is the Colt .45 SAA that has been aged. The reason is that my Great Grandfather was a Sheriff in the late 1800's and early 1900's and carried one. It would have been mine but was destroyed along with all my Grandfathers guns, powder and reloading equipment when my Grandmothers house exploded and burned to the ground (I lost my Grandmother too at that time). I don't have the Umarex though. I would rather have a "New" Colt .45 from the Colt custom shop but that is a $1500 experience.

Thurmond

I bought the replica mini Uzi co2 gun because it was full auto and I thought that would be fun. It was for a few weeks until it broke. That was my last replica. Never again. 

I got into to PCP guns after that and now I prefer air guns to look less like firearms so I don't get shot by mistake like that guy in Walmart. 

When I used to buy replicas though, once of the criteria was similarity to the PB version in both looks and function. I wanted it to cock like the real thing and to have all the same safety switch functions etc.

I'm with Blackdiesel on this one. The only reason they sell in the numbers they do, is because they look like the real thing! And, they're cheap to purchase. 

They're often sold with tag lines like "indoor practice when it is cold outside, or "they have the look and feel of the real thing". The truth is, even as a 10 yards, they're more like a shotgun than an airgun. They may have the look and feel, but they sure don't shoot like the real thing. Fact is, serious firearms instructors abhor them. And the little orange/red rings sometimes required? They're easy to remove—some even unscrew!

While air gunners can use any excuse they wish, they're typically not the ones buying the vast majority of these look alike weapons—it is nefarious thugs because they know common folk can't tell the difference. Just ask yourself the question.... What would you do when a thug comes in to rob you with a look alike pointed at you?