replacing the breech o ring, why so difficult /

Not knowing what gun you're struggling with, my guess is it's so difficult because the o-ring is small and hard to reach; much less without using a sharp implement likely to inflict damage to the o-ring groove. Most likely easier to replace it with the barrel removed (sometimes a whole 'nother can of worms); how much so varies from gun model to gun model.

Gun? 

I used to replace the one on my Compatto all the time. But it was a task of patience. (Never removed the barrel, but would have been WAY easier that way.

How often did you replace your breech seal. Did it blow out? I’ve yet to replace the breech seal on my Compatto and I have over 5K pellets through it.

A few times. I think the bolt would not close properly, or it would creep up. It would blow out after taking a shot. I may have been careless, it was my first PCP. 

John, I don't know what rifle you have, but it would almost for sure be easier to remove the barrel. At that point, squeeze the O ring and place it in the breech, trying to get the squeezed end in, or close to the O ring groove. Then take something small, but not sharp (like a small hex wrench), and move the O ring towards the groove. Might take a few tries, but certainly easier with the barrel off.

Sorry your having problems, but when you get on to changing them it becomes relatively easy. The trick is a wood dowel the right size and silicone grease. Lube the barrel and o-ring groove up really well with the grease and a Qtip. Then lube the O-ring up and just stuff it in the barrel. Don't worry about the orientation. Close the pellet probe enough to push the o-ring past the groove. Then slide the dowel in the barrel and push the probe and o-ring back to the groove. It should go right in. After you catch on it becomes a non issue. Good luck sylvan