• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Replacement Piston Seal - FFL?

Hello All,

Yes I'm new here and fairly new to modern airguns. Please be kind if I'm posting in the wrong area but general discussion area seemed right for the question I'm going to pose.

For those that don't want to read through the entire text here........Why would you need an FFL (Federal Firearms License) to purchase a piston seal for an airgun?

I have a 2012 Gamo Hornet break barrel that is about as accurate as a feather falling from 20K feet. After ordering a new airgun I decided I would tinker with it a bit replace the breech seal and piston ram seal. After having extreme trouble trying to figure out the right seals I contacted Gamo directly to ask about a part number for each.

Here is the response I received........

Thank you for reaching out to GAMO. The breach seal is 22060. The piston seal cannot be purchased without and FFL.

Thank you,

Katlyn

Consumer Service Representative

What am I missing here, I wasn't aware that airguns were regulated in any manner other than 18 years of age restriction for purchase and use.

Thank you in advance for the help and understanding with this.

Could they possibly be doing that just as a barrier of entry, so that they don't have to deal with the consumers/the public when selling parts, just distributors, dealers, and airsmiths? 

But to answer your question directly, no there is no lawful reason why you need an FFL to transfer that part. Outside California where you need an FFL to transfer ammunition as well, you only need an FFL to transfer the serialized parts of a firearm. You can buy every single part of an AR15 or Glock handgun (just two examples) excluding the serialized receiver without an FFL. 

If you wanted to be snarky, I'd respond with "what is the serial number on the piston seal?" or something equivalent to that. Really though, what is the point? That is the response of a company that wants you to get lost, so you may as well buy it elsewhere as it'll probably both be cheaper and they won't charge you out the nose for shipping. 

The piston seal cannot be purchased without and FFL.

Thank you,

Katlyn

Consumer Service Representative

What am I missing here, I wasn't aware that airguns were regulated in any manner other than 18 years of age restriction for purchase and use.

Thank you in advance for the help and understanding with this.

Seems like a misunderstanding maybe, as Gamo obviously knows no Federal Firearms Lic is needed. Can't see a rep of theirs making that claim in writing. So maybe just as she used incorrect grammar or spelling she might have used the wrong letters (FLL) and meant that the seal was only available with other accompanying parts in some type of seal kit..? Maybe find a parts diagram and see if there is anything close to FFL for a part or kit number. Just a guess....

jmo

So sent a follow up Gamo.....

Seems it's an internal policy with Gamo.....strange they would want government control and intervention over an industry that is not.

I can only believe they don't sell or want to sell this part to the public so people will believe parts aren't available. So people can't do their own repairs then might have to buy a new gun. Just speculating.........

Follow up Question:

Katlyn,

Thank you for the information.

I’m lost though as to why I would need an FFL (Federal Firearms License) to purchase a seal for an airgun I own and isn’t a regulated item?

Thanks for the help

Reply:

That is just our company policy. Some internal parts cannot be purchased without an FFL, even though it is for an airgun. I do apologize for that.

Thank you,

Katlyn

FROM the 1st time I remember hearing about gamo and I'm almost 70 now, I decided to stick to daisy, crosman, benjamin,and at the time a new comer called sheridan. I've never regretted that decision for it was often reinforced by shooting friends and acquaintances. That's why I cannot say anything against 'em. I never owned any of their stuff, seems like the first thing I saw sold by gamo was a sling shot. I wonder if this blog will be here 2 days from now. I can't remember what country they originated from, seemed like south america some place.

Well finally got what I needed from Gamo customer service regarding part number for the replacement Hornet piston seal. I'm glad I didn't blast her in the interaction as I had to contact them again on another issue.

I received my new airgun today......another Gamo got a great deal on a Swarm Maxxim in .22 caliber, $118.00 free shipping. Opened it up and when mounting the scope found the reticle to be rotated 45* off center. Guess who I got to contact on the scope issue......yup same customer service person I've been interacting with on the part numbers.

I will say this, she was very helpful with the scope, gave her the requested information and within about 10 min had confirmation she was sending out a new replacement scope. No hassle and appreciated her quick help and response. Yes it shouldn't have been bad and should have been a good scope.....reality is there are bad products out there and I get them now and then. Shame that I have to wait on a replacement scope now but happy that it was not a hassle to get it replaced or any additional cost to ship the old one back.

. gamo has always been difficult to get parts from , in my experience . i just use air rifle headquarters for gamos. i wish target tunes india was still around . some of the crosman parts work for gamos , too. but i have broken a few star key wrenches trying to get the barrels off. gamo wants you to send it to them for service , i guess. - raneman.