• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Removing Scott SCBA Tank Valve and Knob Modification

EDIT: Using a wrench on the flats indicated in the photo below and striking the end of the wrench with a dead blow hammer as suggested by others in the thread below worked very well and is what I would recommend. Remove the hanging bracket first to make the flats accessible. Obviously, make sure the tank is completely depressurized before removing the valve by slowly opening the valve until nothing more comes out.

1669556197322.png

I picked up a very good condition Scott 60 min SCBA that was hydro tested fairly recently, for $80 delivered. There is only one small scratch on the entire tank and it doesn't break through the fibers on the outer fiberglass protective layer. It is bigger than I imagined it being. I am glad I didn't get a 9L for my haul it around tank. I will be filling it myself with a dual filtered Yong Heng, since there is no filling service near me, plus I don't like the idea of having to drive somewhere every time I need air.

Valve Removal

Before I fill it, I would like to inspect the inside of the tank with my USB inspection camera, but the valve assembly doesn't have what looks like wrench flats intended for removal. The best place I can see to place a big wrench is on the two flat bars on either side of the gauge. They are solid metal with just a tiny hole drilled in each one to hold the plastic protective cap in place. If my wide reach Monkey Wrench won't fit the flats, I might put the valve in my vise and turn the tank with a big strap wrench.

For holding the tank and moving the wrench, some suggestions I have found are to wrap a rubber floor mat around it and secure it with ratchet straps to a solid object like a picnic table bench, 2x6 in a vise or a Workmate table. Please chime in if you have any suggestions that might help. (Edit: As noted above, I ended up just putting my knee on the tank and hitting the wrench with a plastic mallet.)

Alternative place to put a large wrench - Note: I used the location at the top of this post, not this one.

1667681502179.png

1667682093334.png

Knob Modification

The knob has notches on it and a spring that pushes the notches against some tabs on the valve body, that prevent it from accidentally being turned off unless it is pressed in before turning. I see no need for that feature and it in fact seems like it makes adjusting the valve more difficult for PCP filling use. Some have suggested removing the spring to disable that, but on this valve I found that if I just tightened the nut holding the knob in place, the lockout would eventually be disabled with no need to take it apart and no increase in the amount of force needed to turn the knob.

Once that was done, adjustment seems very smooth and easy to control, but I won't be able to test it with air in the tank until next week when my fill station arrives.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys.

I ended up putting a large crescent wrench on the smaller flats where the hanging bracket attaches. No need to remove the knob to get the wrench on there. The flats are 1 1/2" apart. 2 Smacks with a dead blow hammer in my right hand, holding the tank with my correct hand, and it was free. No damage to the valve body. The inside of the tank is pristine. Clean and shiny with no pitting, corrosion, scratches, cracks or any sign of water ever having been in there. Whoever owned it previously took good care of it.

1667746147281.png

I couldn't tell any difference between removing the spring under the knob or tightening down the nut until the knob turns freely in either direction, so I left the spring in there.

1667746452026.png

On the O-Ring, I found the specs for the Scott replacement. It looks like it is a number 212. Searching AGN, a post by Centercut said that 22 x 3.5mm should also work.

Scott Valve P/N 804723-01​

Replacement O-ring P/N 5865200​

O-Ring # 212​

Datasheet​

Cross-sectional Height: 0.139 inches
Center Hole Diameter: 0.859 inches
End Application: Fire fighting scba
Hardness Rating: 90.0 shore durometer A
NIIN: 015878959
Manufacturer Cage: 15927

Reinstalling the Valve Assembly

When I put the valve assembly back on the tank, I put some O-Ring grease on the O-Ring, tightened it as tight as I could by hand, then gave it a light tap with a deadblow hammer on a wrench on the flats. It was easily loosened with a tap in the other direction with my knee holding the tank on the floor but would not undo with hand pressure. The tap probably isn't necessary since fittings tend to get pretty tight on their own with O-rings and 4500 PSI.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on removing the tubing from the valve assembly? My understanding is that it is there to prevent water from entering the SCBA apparatus, since the tanks are worn with the valve down. I see no need for it with PCP filling use other than if you carried, stored or used your tank upside down. A possible benefit to removing it would be that you could easily check for water in the tank without removing the valve, by inverting it for a while then purging some air through the valve to check for water. It appears that the flat bottom of the threaded portion of the valve is recessed about 1/2" inside the threaded neck of the tank, so any liquid would settle down into that cavity to be easily purged.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on removing the tubing from the valve assembly? My understanding is that it is there to prevent water from entering the SCBA apparatus, since the tanks are worn with the valve down. I see no need for it with PCP filling use other than if you carried, stored or used your tank upside down. A possible benefit to removing it would be that you could easily check for water in the tank without removing the valve, by inverting it for a while then purging some air through the valve to check for water. It appears that the flat bottom of the threaded portion of the valve is recessed about 1/2" inside the threaded neck of the tank, so any liquid would settle down into that cavity to be easily purged.
Curious minds want to know: Why would you introduce moisture to your tank in the first place???
And even if you let out 99% of the accumulated water the saturation would still be above 100% and for every filling you'd transfer 100% water saturated air to your airgun. Good luck with that!

Curious minds want to know: Why would you introduce moisture to your tank in the first place???
And even if you let out 99% of the accumulated water the saturation would still be above 100% and for every filling you'd transfer 100% water saturated air to your airgun. Good luck with that!

Obviously no plans to ever introduce moisture, but it is a good idea to inspect the inside of your tanks regularly. Moisture might be introduced unintentionally when you have the tank filled at a scuba shop, or if your filters / traps are not working properly. The DOT regs are to inspect and hydro every 5 years. If you care about your guns, more often wouldn't be a bad thing. Water in the tank is probably the number one cause of corrosion / problems inside a tank as well as inside your guns. With the tube removed, you could check for condensed moisture inside your tank within a few seconds with no need to remove the valve and replace the O-Ring. With the tube in place, you won't ever see water coming out of the valve since its job is to prevent that from happening. If you find any signs of water coming out then you can open up the tank and inspect the inside, clean and dry it out thoroughly and if there isn't any damage, put it back into service, being sure to figure out where the water was coming from before you refill it. A simple process that could save you a lot of grief down the road.

I've never seen any signs of moisture in the air coming from my 45 minute SCBA so I haven't inspected it. Nice to know how, however.

I pulled the spring from the valve on mine and I am very happy with how it works for filling my guns. Very easy to control. I see no down side.

After playing with the knob a bit both ways, I think there is slightly less resistance to turning with the spring removed..... I may take it out.

I kept looking at that tube and trying to decide if there was any benefit to leaving it in. I can think of two. If you ever wanted to use the tank for an SCBA setup to get you or a loved one out of house fire or you might want to sell the valve to someone else who planned on using it for an actual SCBA, the tube might be worth keeping. Otherwise, I couldn't see one. For most, removing it might not be something they would do, but I do like the idea of being able to instantly check for water in the tank without emptying it and removing the valve. It takes a long time to fill that sucker!

EDIT - 7/23: I decided to leave the tube in place and will be doing my own visual inspection every 2 or three 3 years.

Last edited: