Removing Pressure Dings on Wood Stock?

This guy explains it......30 seconds is too long, better to do it several times. Don't burn the wood.
What does it do to the finish? Thinking about refinishing it to high gloss finish (TruOil) next winter but haven't firmly decided. Concerned about it staining or marring the finish it now has. Thx for your help.
EDIT: Just watched what was said in video about finished vs unfinished wood. I'll wait til I'm refinishing it (IF I do).

Reactions: scottblair
What does it do to the finish? Thinking about refinishing it to high gloss finish (TruOil) next winter but haven't firmly decided. Concerned about it staining or marring the finish it now has. Thx for your help.
The finish will be destroyed during the steaming process......You must strip the finish, remove the dents then refinish the stock. TruOil is good stuff.

Those dents would have to be real unsightly for me to do the work.
Minor dings add character? LOL

Here's a pic. This is after 6 years of hunting & tramping through the brush & hills. Probably looks fine to anyone but me.
20240406_115247.jpg

They're only noticeable to me. If you hold it just right in the light you can see the 5 or 6 dings. That's how anal I am 🤪.
Look at it as the first ding on a new car? HaHa

We all see guns go up for sale, "never shot, or only one half can of pellets down barrel"......These folks never got a chance to use and enjoy it for fear of marking it up?

Keep enjoying it brother!

This is why I use Danish oil finish on my stocks. Super easy to remove, apply, touch up. Of course you have to strip the wood and steam and sand it which takes days or weeks to do properly, in my opinion. But once done.... 👍 my process is to use mild stripper, set for day or two, sand with something like 300 grit. Use brush to get finish out of stipling. Steam to get grains to rise. Wet sand with 400, dry. Wet sand with 600, dry, then start sanding in the oil working to finer and finer grits, letting the oil and sealant set up between each sanding. Then a few coats with no sanding. Probably unecessarily lengthy and time consuming. But I'd rather spend too much time than too little. I originally used un-stained oil on my fx crown stock and it looked WEIRD. Wish I had photos. I went back and repeated the process and used a dark walnut stained oil instead.

130029815_10158774528469034_1522156157427919869_n.jpg

Last edited:
Like you, I walk and shoot my guns, (mostly fine walnut furniture) in the woods, and am obsessive about keepimg them in perfect condition. If I scratch or dent one, it gets repaired soon after. I use Maccari Royal Lundon Oil, which is easy to spot repair, and never know it happened.
That looks like an oil finish to me. Which is my method for refinishing all stocks.
If it is just a rubbed oil finish, which many FX and other European models often use on the higher grade guns, and not a satin urethane or similar hard finishes, you can steam without problem, as long as you head the advise of just short duration iron contact. Approx 10 seconds is my typical max, and repeat.
I think you might be able to make the small marks disappear, and reduce the larger ones by 50% or so.
Just my 2¢
Good luck,
Have fun

Like you, I walk and shoot my guns, (mostly fine walnut furniture) in the woods, and am obsessive about keepimg them in perfect condition. If I scratch or dent one, it gets repaired soon after. I use Maccari Royal Lundon Oil, which is easy to spot repair, and never know it happened.
That looks like an oil finish to me. Which is my method for refinishing all stocks.
If it is just a rubbed oil finish, which many FX and other European models often use on the higher grade guns, and not a satin urethane or similar hard finishes, you can steam without problem, as long as you head the advise of just short duration iron contact. Approx 10 seconds is my typical max, and repeat.
I think you might be able to make the small marks disappear, and reduce the larger ones by 50% or so.
Just my 2¢
Good luck,
Have fun
It's the FX typical walnut "satin" finish. I'm waiting for next winter when I'll have plenty of time to do it right & patiently. Gonna go with TruOil as the stocks I've seen done that way have turned out beautifully. Want to leave stippling as is so I'll carefully tape it off. Thx for your suggestions.

Reactions: scottblair
I think both your guns are beautiful the way they are.
Thanks! The 1st picture is my Royale 500 (.25). 2nd picture is someone else's gun (FX Crown). My stock has a bit more intricate design around the stippling & prefer it more than the Crown's stock. The Royale, for me, is beautiful in form and, especially, FUNCTION. It's Smoothness, accuracy & feel always make it a pleasure to shoot. I'm a classic rifle styling kinda guy. I just love gun "furniture" & tactical style guns have no warmth or character to me. Had it for 7 years now & it's capabilities STILL blow me away. I think FX is making a mistake by not still actively marketing this platform. They are a dream! Nary a bad word to be said about them.