• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Removing CO2 cartridges

I was given a Sig Sauer MCX pellet gun for Xmas. I love the concept, but the design not so much. It is designed to use a 90 gram CO2 cartridge, which is good for something like 200 rounds.

I do a little target plinking, but mostly use it to provide fresh rat carcasses for the raccoons around here. So I often don't shoot more than a dozen rounds in a sitting.

The problem is, leaving the cartridge in destroys the seals. I found this out the hard way. But I'm afraid removing an expensive 90 gram cartridge and having it blow cold CO2 isn't good either. And wasteful.

In another thread, I asked for and recieved suggestions for a 12 gram cartridge conversion device. I have ordered one and hopefully it solves the problem.

Meanwhile (sorry for the lengthy post) I have a nearly full 90 gram cartridge in the gun that needs to come out. Can I just remove it without damaging anything, or do I need to get it as empty as possible first?

The ONLY way to remove it is to drop the lever and lower seat to lower the cartridge out of the socket where the cartridge top seals, and let the pressure leak out. No other way of removing them. No way of "saving" the co2.

The use of a spacer to use shorter cartridges is an interesting thought. Just make sure that it is securely seated, and won't accidently come out and hurt someone...like you..!
Maybe someone with a 3D printer can make you a "cup", with tall sides to hold tightly to the cylinder walls .

Mike

Sounds like a faulty or poor seal problem to me!
If everything is up to snuff you should have no problems keeping it charged for extended periods.
And another thing about C02 is keeping the internals lubed with lite oil. Automatic transmission fluid is one of the best I've ever found for keeping the valve and seals in good operating condition. Just a couple drops right on the port every other cartridge change will do the trick!

Sounds like a faulty or poor seal problem to me!
If everything is up to snuff you should have no problems keeping it charged for extended periods.
And another thing about C02 is keeping the internals lubed with lite oil. Automatic transmission fluid is one of the best I've ever found for keeping the valve and seals in good operating condition. Just a couple drops right on the port every other cartridge change will do the trick!
It is apparently a design problem with this particular airgun. I have read that nearly everyone has the same problem. Deep within the owners manual I found a warning to not leave the cartridge in or it may damage the seals. This should be in bold red letters in a large font somewhere more obvious.

I'm also wondering if taking out a nearly full cartridge is going to spray a a large amount of CO2 and also damage the seals?

Last edited:
It is apparently a design problem with this particular airgun. I have read that nearly everyone has the same problem. Deep within the owners manual I found a warning to not leave the cartridge in or it may damage the seals. This should be in bold red letters in a large font somewhere more obvious.

I'm also wondering if taking out a nearly full cartridge is going to spray a a large amount of CO2 and also damage the seals?
It's nothing more than a disclaimer to cover there own asses! And a way to avoid warranty issues!
I dabbled in C02 guns for a number of years back in the day! They do have more short comings over PCPs but if you take the right precautions and preparation they perform pretty well in warm temperatures!
Oil is the key with C02 and you'll have nothing but problems with out it!
And rather than try and remove a full cart your better off shooting it down even if just dry firing.

Reactions: rainbowbob
It's nothing more than a disclaimer to cover there own asses! And a way to avoid warranty issues!
I dabbled in C02 guns for a number of years back in the day! They do have more short comings over PCPs but if you take the right precautions and preparation they perform pretty well in warm temperatures!
Oil is the key with C02 and you'll have nothing but problems with out it!
And rather than try and remove a full cart your better off shooting it down even if just dry firing.
Goood info...Thank you!