Relieving Eye Strain

Nope not about optics or peep sights. It's about the monitor you are viewing this forum with if you are using a PC.

For years I have been using a 22" Dell flat screen high resolution 1080 monitor. Last week I got a 27" Samsung Odyssey G5 2560x1440 144hz refresh rate curved monitor which is one of the lower end gaming monitors.

Holy cow what a difference. My eyes never had it so good. It's so crisp and sharp with absolutely no flickering and my poor old eyes love it. Bet it's just looking through a $5,000 scope which is as close as I will ever come to that.

So, now that I can see it let me critique AN's screen format which is pretty good.

I like the fact that the scroll is at the top and out of the way when viewing the posts. Not much worse that seeing scrolling or flashing things while trying to read IMPORTANT stuff.

Most of my forum viewing is at night so keep that in mind.

I like the neutral carbon fiber design around the screen even thou it is a little too bright for me, and with a 27" monitor there is a lot of it. The main text page could be toned down a little also.

Wonder if Michael could add a night mode?

there are some browser plugins that do this, but they sometimes mess up the web page (for example the dark mode plugin for chrome makes the menu bar when submitting a post invisible so you can't change text or add images)

what i have found to work the best/most consistent is using a native chrome feature that forces chromes dark mode:

if you are using chrome in the address bar enter chrome://flags

search for dark

enable!

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 6.08.13 PM.1643332132.png

then AGN will look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 6.09.05 PM.1643332157.png

Reactions: Feinwerk and Mg616
WOW Bio that works great - Thanks!

I just downloaded it and set it only to work with the AN forum. Hopefully I will be able to tweak it a little after a little research.

I am curious thou as to why it wants to store my history. Don't think I like that. Reminds me of Google or Apple. They want to know where you are every second of the day, what you are doing, your heart rate and who you are with.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Sticman77 - a most excellent tip about hidden experimental features in chrome. Accuracy plus-up vote for you.

Especially useful for mobile devices to reduce eye strain and battery drain. I have enabled this on my Samsung Android phone and tablets. I chose the last option in the drop down box: "enabled with increased text contrast". So far, on a variety of pages, this has worked extremely well.

I have always preferred dark backgrounds for work on displays, especially drawing in AutoCAD. Even though I have dark theme selected in my devices, Chrome was still delivering white background websites.

Cheers!