• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Regulator tuning under pressure

How is clockwise and counter clockwise determined in relation to the gun's aspect? If the gun is upright, in shooting position, you are turning the screw from underneath while looking down on the barrel. In that case clockwise would be turning the screw to the left (if normally threaded that would be loosening the screw.. If the gun is in a vise "upside down" and you were looking directly at the screw, clockwise would be turning the screw to the right, you would be tightening the screw. Which way is correct?

@mike4406 It totally matters which way the gun is facing. Spin a globe and look at the north pole, now (while it is spinning) turn it and look at the south pole they spin in opposite directions!

I know all about righty tighty/lefty loosey - but it depends on orientation. When the instruction manual says turn counter clockwise, counter clockwise is clockwise when the gun is upside down.

Stand up straight and tighten a bolt - turn it to the right. Now reach under a table to tighten a bolt, that is bolted into the underside of the table. While still standing up, you will have to turn it LEFT to tighten it. Try it, You will see. If you lie on the floor and look up at the bolt, righty tighty applies.

So yes, I assume that you flip the gun upside down, look directly at the screw and turn it in the prescribed direction. If it is on a rest (barrel up) and you are reaching under it to access the screw, you have to turn it in the opposite direction to achieve the same results. Most of my tuning is done from a rest so I can tune and shoot as I adjust the regulator (and release pressure by cocking and firing). Therefore, I turn in the opposite direction.