Regulator problems in my Maverick

Peashooter

Apr 9, 2021
Denmark
So i ran into some problems.
I put a Huma REG in my Maverick a while back and that was uneventful, but i have problems getting a flat shot string with it.
So today i wanted to put the original FX regulator back in the rifle.

That also easy, but it leak thru the atmosphere hole, the regulated pressure are fine ( 100 bar ) but over night it will empty the rest of the rifle.
So for the hell of it i tried to put the Huma one back in, and now it also leak.

In the FX one i have tried to replace the bottom O-ring in the housing, that i understand that if thats no good it will leak thru vent hole, but it seem something else can also make that happen.

Anybody have any ideas for me to try ??

No those 2 i have not touched, from watching a few videos it is my understanding that if the top one are bad it would leak out the top of the regulator, and if the bottom one are bad the reg pressure would creep ( up i assume ) but the regulator part actually work fine it will lie the night over bleeding 500 CC air in the tank but still have 100 bar behind the last regulator.

The only O-ring i have not changed today is the 10 mm one below the thread in the hole the REG screw into, i think it would also make the gun leak out the venting hole.
The problem is that is so deep i do not dare mess with it as i dont have the proper tools for O-ring work,,,,, at least not inside deep holes.

so tools for that ordered.
Ill be damned if i can find anyone in EU that sell a FX regulator, at least if i also want to pay with CC, EuropeAirguns do have repair kits with all but the housing, but i can not be bothered making a paypal account again.

If you are for sure knowing it’s coming out the reg vent hole then it is for sure that 10 x 1.5 D90 o ring inside the tunnel- tip: don’t try to pry that o ring out, as you’ll risk scratching the groove or fubar’ing the threads if you use metal pic tools, and plastic tools just don’t cut it in that tight a spot. Too thick at the points on plastic pics.

Go get one of your wife’s sharpest and finest sewing needles(@ least 3” in length)and slightly bend a 15-30 degree angle about 1/4” up from the point. Stab at the o ring, then lever it over to pop it out. So, stab, not pic.

Clean out that tunnel and o ring groove of all lubes with acetone and a large q tip, then blow out with shop air or bottled air so that tunnel is spotless.
When you go to install the new o ring, install it dry! If you prelube it, the o ring will keep sliding out of its groove, and then that clean tunnel will be filled in short time with all the hair you’ll be pulling off of your scalp. Trust me on installing the o ring dry.

I save chop sticks from Chinese restaurants for two reasons- mixing of epoxies and also to lather on silicone grease over an o ring in a tunnel, which is what you’ll do after you get that o ring installed.

Some folks don’t lube the reg washer springs, some do. I like to apply a thin coat of treadmill mat lube, which is 100% silicone oil, but of a thicker viscosity. Viscosity wise it appears to be exactly as thick as what Huma uses in the syringes that come with their regulator reseal kits.

Lastly, if you haven’t contacted FX and bought the upgraded brass piston, I recommend doing so. It is much superior to the plastic reg pistons and the recovery rate of the plenum is way faster with the brass pistons. Pay close attention to not only the factory washer stack orientation, but also which different thickness washers go where

Last edited:
I feel i have been generous with the grease, there was a serious use for paper towels at my living room table, that is also my living room work bench

it is fairly obvious the rings are dried out. Mavericks should be less than 3 years old, call fx and they will send you a rebuild kit. If it is older than 3 years then follow @Bigragu's advice and replace the oring or buy the rebuild kit from FX.

Reactions: Ex.Magnum and 2L8
If you are for sure knowing it’s coming out the reg vent hole then it is for sure that 10 x 1.5 D90 o ring inside the tunnel- tip: don’t try to pry that o ring out, as you’ll risk scratching the groove or fubar’ing the threads if you use metal pic tools, and plastic tools just don’t cut it in that tight a spot. Too thick at the points on plastic pics.

Go get one of your wife’s sharpest and finest sewing needles(@ least 3” in length)and slightly bend a 15-30 degree angle about 1/4” up from the point. Stab at the o ring, then lever it over to pop it out. So, stab, not pic.

Clean out that tunnel and o ring groove of all lubes with acetone and a large q tip, then blow out with shop air or bottled air so that tunnel is spotless.
When you go to install the new o ring, install it dry! If you prelube it, the o ring will keep sliding out of its groove, and then that clean tunnel will be filled in short time with all the hair you’ll be pulling off of your scalp. Trust me on installing the o ring dry.

I save chop sticks from Chinese restaurants for two reasons- mixing of epoxies and also to lather on silicone grease over an o ring in a tunnel, which is what you’ll do after you get that o ring installed.

Some folks don’t lube the reg washer springs, some do. I like to apply a thin coat of treadmill mat lube, which is 100% silicone oil, but of a thicker viscosity. Viscosity wise it appears to be exactly as thick as what Huma uses in the syringes that come with their regulator reseal kits.

Lastly, if you haven’t contacted FX and bought the upgraded brass piston, I recommend doing so. It is much superior to the plastic reg pistons and the recovery rate of the plenum is way faster with the brass pistons. Pay close attention to not only the factory washer stack orientation, but also which different thickness washers go where
Bigragu has nailed it both in his advice and in the warning lol. If that area is scared it could mean a new housing for you depending on your skill set which I am not aware of lol. When you make 15-30 degree a little less than 1/4 inch up as he describes I usually use a calculated controlled stab not going threw the oring to avoid a scrape situation and then a twist motion to remove the old o-ring . you will also want to take his excellent advice on cleaning in this matter as the last one I saw done by another individual ( Pro ) haha he had to redo it due to a very tiny and I mean small piece of trash that was hiding inside the groove where the o-ring sets and outta sight . After this it was a total success haha. It is a lil tricky the first 3 times .

Good luck (y)
:coffee:

Got the MAV when it came out, so just a couple of years old, no FX USA to call over here, just FX the factory.
After my Maverick being at the dealer for +4 month with a broken cocking handle, well lets just say i am not going that route for parts.

I am also leaning on its the 10 X 1.5 mm O-ring deep down the hole, so tools to tackle that problem are in the mail.
I have a complete rebuild kit for the Maverick, so have O-rings, but will of course need to replenish that now i opened it up.

There is just 1 thing in the world that scare me, and that is politicians.

I just think it is a little freaky that O-ring could die so easy, i mean i have removed old REG, put in new REG ( huma ) and then now upon wanting to put back in original REG again it is toast.
Also think here as i other places design from FX are poor, i mean that 10x1.5 mm O-ring. why is it way down there in the hole, when a slight redesign of the reg housing could have it mounted on that instead, and so very easy accessible.

But ! it seem my lot in life is to curse engineers and fix their damn work.

I am inclined to get one of the new REGs with the brass piston, just they aint cheap and i am burning thru money ATM when i should be saving for a new rifle,,,,, CUZ the Rubicon have been crossed and i am looking to get a new main rifle.

My AGT Vulcan 3 is ready for service, it is the "AK" of my small collection, just work.

Reactions: swNCsw
. . .
I am inclined to get one of the new REGs with the brass piston, just they aint cheap ....

Just now saw your latest post.
Because all in life is relative, consider contacting Mundilar Airguns. (in case you re still out to purchase an FX upgrade replacement kit for your reg of course)

I ve just purchased one there.
A complete upgrade reg kit with brass piston + an alternative (slightly different) brass piston : 60€ in all. (+ shipping fee of course, whatever that is for shipment to Denmark)

And no, these items are not advertised on their website. You will have to mail them and specifically ask for it. You might send this below photo with your mail, they will recognize it, because it's their photo they have sent me.

Hope this helps to get your Maverick back on track, the way you want it.
Good luck.

1691678086873.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Peashooter
THX.
I might get in touch with Mundilar, CUZ my upgrade to a new rifle might have to take a back seat for a few months at least.

I have tried hard the last 2 times i have been shooting to get a flat shot string, but i just can not get to 1 digit with a 21 shot magazine on the Maverick, something i have easy been able to do before.
As a slight + to that problem, the heavy liner i got that just would not shoot well with 13 grain i mainly shoot, well for reasons unknown to me it work now, and i am also going to shoot with that barrel tomorrow.

I assume that is a complete regulator, or at least with the O-rings, the the washers i am OK moving around

I assume that is a complete regulator

Complete kit, yes.
Here better to be seen on another Mundilar photo.

1691749761611.jpeg

Bagnall & Kirkwood sell the exact same kit too. (see screenshot below)
However, their UK price tag for a complete AMP2 reg kit + an additional (and slightly different) brass piston model is
92€ + 30€ = 122€ ,
hence more than double of Mundilar's price for the same.
Sometimes you do get to wonder . . .

1691751281540.png

1691754243842.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Peashooter
Why not just . . . savour the opportunity...
Why not just 'rejoice' ?

Fom outside EU and i get slammed with a 160 DKkr / 21.5 EURO handling fee, and then come sales tax ( 25% ) and customs.

Don t see how that could be of any argument in this particular context. You asked for assistance. You got it.
Ill be damned if i can find anyone in EU that sell a FX regulator, at least if i also want to pay with CC, EuropeAirguns do have repair kits with all but the housing...

You were provided with an option to -within the EU- acquire a complete reg kit. The lesser expensive one in the EU. Not to say the very cheapest one.
Want to avoid getting slammed with taxes and customs?, then why not simply buy where you re at? If buying 'around your home corner' proves not an option, and there 's no alternative but buying abroad, then why even mention it? Does that help you forward in any way?
Don t see how that could be of any argument in this particular context.

Btw,
If there hadn't been Mundilar's offer for a complete reg kit + one more additonal brass piston at a total of 60€,
and i were forced to purchase this same complete AMP2 reg kit including 2 types of brass piston in Brexit UK, it would not only go doubling up the price tag to 122€ as priced at Bagnall & Kirkwood's site...

I know so because it's not the first time -since Brexit- I have ' imported ' airgun parts from the UK .
But then again, when there 's no other alternative, that's what one does. It 's either that, or staying empty handed.
Reckon the same options apply to you. Getting what you need. Or not.

So,
Ill be damned if i can find anyone in EU that sell a FX regulator, at least if i also want to pay with CC, EuropeAirguns do have repair kits with all but the housing...
You today not only know where to find a complete reg kit within the EU, but you now also know where to find the very very cheapest one.

You 're most welcome to use that to your best interest, fullfilling the soothing hobby given to us all, airgunners at heart.
Or not.

Choose as you see fit.
But in either way, rejoice !
For we practice a formidable hobby.

Last edited:
Yeah i just can not get a shot string worth bragging about, tried for that again Friday and Saturday.
Still had good wholesome fun even if i had to click a little around to chase my 80 M shots, but then i started to shoot at a piece of board at 25 M.
And i was shooting at 4.5 mm holes already there, and the board was just thrown up against the earth berm, so me shooting it sounded like i was just hitting dirt.
And i was, but not before sending pellet after pellet thru the same 4.5 mm hole, so shooting 5 shots at the same hole and it was enlarged maybe to 6 - 7 mm but thats also it.
But for a while i was totally freaked out that i dident even hit the 80 X 80 CM large piece of wood, but i did so very much hit it or rather the holes already in it.
So i of course also had to put a paper target up, one of those with 5 targets on, and 3 shots to each of the 5 targets and the inside of the 10 ring was gone on all 5.
Sadly i forgot to take a picture of that paper.

I am still going to hit up Mundilar soon, CUZ on the long range i prefer, well chasing holes on every 2 - 3 shots, thats not sustainable for me.
Still never knew i could have so much fun shooting 25 M, might well try that some more on windy days.

Also think new rifle are back on track, seem like i was richer than i thought i was, something that happen now and then when you dont have home banking or stuff like that, but paying dentist bill in the bank on Wednesday i got the lady there to give me the numbers on my budget account, and it was more than expected. :) 💵
BUT ! New rifle ( epic airguns TWO ) do not start selling before maybe September, and i am also contemplating that maybe i should not be a day #1 buyer.

My problem with the handling fee it equates to a hourly pay of the person that do the customs, and i am pretty damn sure he dont do only 1 parcel a hour, so i think its a outrage / highway robbery they are allowed to take that much.

Last edited: