Regulated or unregulated?

I apologize if this has been approached before but being new to the site, my search capability is less then stellar.

I am looking into getting into this sport, and there are many viewpoints on this I am told, between different rifles.

I understand the power curve between the two, but what is the general consensus for most people.

Do I buy one that is regulated for more shots per cylinder or unregulated for more power and less shots.

I have determined that for my type shooting, 25 caliber would be best.

Are the rifles which are regulated the only ones with an adjustable power setting?

if I’m being to broad with my question, let me know and I’ll try to narrow it down.

I like both, but it can be rather difficult to get the kind of accuracy that a regulated gun can easily produce. Most times I think regulated is better. But as noted, it is another fail point. That's not to say regulators cannot be reliable. They absolutely can be. 

Best use-case for regulated is precision long range shooting. Or something you want to squeeze a really high shot count out of. 

It's also usually easier to extract more power from an un-regulated gun. But useable shot count often suffers. 

I’m replying to both of your replies as I can’t reply to individual replies from folks yet since I don’t have 5 posts, but I have many questions, so 5 posts won’t be an issue.

I was looking, rather leaning towards the Umarex G2, but after reading some “concerns” others have, I decided to do more research.

Now, I’m looking into the regulated models as I want more consistent at a bit longer ranges.

I like precision, (retired from career involving some tactical sniper/observer type stuff), and am wanting to do squirrel shooting around 75 yards to 125 yards around barns, equipment lots, and possibly Coyotes closer in.

Any suggestions on PCP’s that I can research in that type would be outstanding.

Thanks for the replies-

from my view point theres a coupe of ways to go .. generally with anything but a high end gun regulated is geared more towards paper targets/bench type shooting only imo .. theyre gonna be lower power .. and especially if you try to regulate an unregulated gun without doing alot more mods to it .. but ... with an external regulator you can conceivably have the best of both worlds imo ... the catch22 for me is i want to regulate my midrange gun at max power at THE most efficient spot .. that really dont happen with an internal reg ... but it can with an external ...

. the catch22 for me is i want to regulate my midrange gun at max power at THE most efficient spot .. that really dont happen with an internal reg ... but it can with an external ...

Thats a bit confusing. Why can't an internal do this?

I'd recommend looking at either a dreamline or taipan veteran in 25 cal. I know the Dreamline should come with a larger plenum now (more power) I know the vets can accommodate an added plenum as well. Not sure if they come with them or not.

But both excellent, accurate, potentially powerful platforms.

I appreciate all the input on the subject since I know little to nothing about PCP’s except they are quiet, usually, and require patience to get close to animals.

I was a bow hunter but job related injuries cured that. I know powder burners very well, but the PCP world sounds fun and being retired, what the heck!
I don’t want to spend 3K for a complete setup, meaning rifle, tank and or compressor, but will start around 1500.

I’m doing the research now, so in the early spring, I have a plan and what type of shooter I want.

I’ll go with regulated, and .25 caliber at this point, but the brands and models are many and living where I do, there are no shops that are too be had to look at rifles or other things. Central Idaho is a bit remote.

I have been watching “many” videos on YouTube, so I’ll keep watching reviews and will have more questions.

I appreciate all the input on the subject since I know little to nothing about PCP’s except they are quiet, usually, and require patience to get close to animals.

I was a bow hunter but job related injuries cured that. I know powder burners very well, but the PCP world sounds fun and being retired, what the heck!
I don’t want to spend 3K for a complete setup, meaning rifle, tank and or compressor, but will start around 1500.

I’m doing the research now, so in the early spring, I have a plan and what type of shooter I want.

I’ll go with regulated, and .25 caliber at this point, but the brands and models are many and living where I do, there are no shops that are too be had to look at rifles or other things. Central Idaho is a bit remote.

I have been watching “many” videos on YouTube, so I’ll keep watching reviews and will have more questions.

Smart man.

I'm retired and did the same and yes it can get expensive, surprisingly more so than center fire. BUT being retired has me sitting at my gun range with coffee nearly every morning so feel some justification. 

BTW....my sister has been sending me a steady diet of photos from Moab and Salmon Idaho, beautiful country out that way.

Squirrels @ 125yards (and if on the Barn missing it?) will be a challenge at least. 75 yards with a decent .25 and you will likely have it down fairly fast. Wind is not your friend as distance increases, as you know. 

Total budget of $1,500 for everything (but congratulations, you WILL have fun) leaves a .25 RAW out as well as most rigs I might recommend if spending your money. All airguns can be quite -and if he will work on what you own one of the finest turners and king of silence is in Idaho-, out of the box long range accuracy will be your #1 concern.

Have you finished reading everything in the https://www.airgunnation.com/forum/accessories/air-tanks-pumps-compressors-filters/ section of the forum yet? There is good cost savings information there.

Dan gave you the best advice, get to a Field Target shoot. Contact ahead! Excellent people who all aim small. Let them know you , are new, seeking information, and naturally you would love to shoot if someone might (likely) have some old loner you could use. Also there's not an FT shooters I have met who one..........One....hahaha , airgun. And you'll meet local to you shooters, lot's of people do not post and meeting face to face once is nice.

http://www.gatecityssa.org/calendar.html

That would be THE best money you could spend moving forward.

How many shots do you need? Might you have your scba with you in the truck or not? Don't suppose you going for the joy's of hand pumping in the filed? (that one is doable and is fun, for a bit).

Ammo supply? Keep in mind a .22 or even .177 will take squirrel at 75, buy you said perhaps yoke and you do want power for that.

I purchase an airforce escape UL (after avoiding the line for 20 years) in .25 last year only to kill 7 yellow bellied marmot who felt the Fruit orchard was a nice new home. It took care of that w/out the worries of a flat rock and an rf. A "blem" factory direct under $600. LW barrel but I never really shot it until a couple of weeks ago when I 1st discovered it will not miss a 2" spinner at 107 yards.. Turns out the tiny thing is indeed capable of groups at range. 10 excellent shots from a 2,700psi fill then repeat (tiny bottle). For your staed purpose some af rig new or used may be your best introduction to airguns.?.

Do attend an FT fun shoot.

John

I am four months in and shooting 25 m , 50 yd , and Bench rest silhouette. It seems to me unregulated is another variable that you have to compensate for over a couple dozen shots. Anytime you can eliminate a variable you will help your accuracy. I do not hunt of kill but I would imagine hi power low shot count would be more suitable for those activities. My initial $600 dollar investment has turned into $2000 real quick, but I a!so enjoy doing the work myself. That little dot on a sheet of paper will get you to open your wallet real quick. Good luck, have fun. The guys on here know slot more than I do, so keep seeking their advice.

Greetings from a fellow Idaho air gunner, Some guns shoot well and Don't need a regulator, others need a regulator to shoot well. Depends on the build quality ,and is not limited to higher end guns. Shot count, and power. etc. Less is more sometimes, when it comes to this sport.. 

I have both and prefer regulated for many of the reasons stated above. I also like that I can partially fill a regulated gun and still be in the sweet spot. I like the fact that I don't have to count how many shots I've taken, I just watch the regulator gauge and refill or partially fill my gun depending on how much air is in my SCBAs.