Reflections on recent posts about pellet shortages, FX availability, etc.

There has been a trend I have noticed recently, with many topics discussing pellet shortages, FX airgun wait times, and just general rants about the times in which we live.

I have been in international businesses all my adult life and I am constantly amazed by the relatively low level of knowledge that most folks (not just here in the USA) have about just how complicated and interconnected all of our supply chains and economies are. I find it amusing to read the simplistic answers to what is a very complex problem. For example, a common one is “If only people weren’t getting unemployment then they would rush out to fill all those jobs”…or “its the governments fault”..etc. A number of states have actually cut off the extended unemployment benefits. Did it make any difference in their EMPLOYMENT rate? Nope. If things were as simple as some folks believe this all would have been solved by now. 

We have a whole set of problems, each complex in their own way, and the interaction between these creates even more complexity. At some point enough complexity leads to chaos in any system. That’s kind of where we are now. Not only are we facing supply side chaos from pretty much every reason (largely, but not exclusively, due to Covid) but we have our own logistical challenges, often brought on by short sided policies from companies here in the US.

We are seeing the end of a long chain of decisions from companies, large and small, which placed cheap and easy (normally good things) ahead of sustainable and resilient. The companies that managed to balance these two ends of the spectrum are doing better than those who abandoned one side for the other. If your products are not competitive on Price/value your company will die, soon. On the other hand, if you do not have a sustainable/resilient supply process then your company will die, maybe after a little longer than the first example.

At the same time, we have unprecedented demand for some goods, but more importantly, for some types of DISTRIBUTION services. The pandemic has lead to an explosion of demand for online shopping and associated delivery services. The demographic which used the least amount of these services, those 65+, have suddenly become complete converts to remote purchasing. This was initially driven by existential threat of Covid (No one wants to die in order to go out and buy a new airgun) but has been embraced because of the convenience and “Christmas in July” feeling when stuff just shows up at home. Similarly, we should not be surprised that people are somewhat less than eager to go out and do public facing/traveling jobs, like driving delivery trucks, in the face of the same existential pressures. Couple that with the fact that these workers now have many other options, especially since “Work from Home” has suddenly not just become viable, it has been PROVEN to be viable by the experiences of the last 18 months. This means that if you want them to choose driving a truck, or working in a distribution center, then you are going to have to offer them a package that is attractive, or at a minimum, more attractive than the other offers they have. Given that some of those offers probably do not include a commute, the need for child care while they are away from home, etc. you’re going tp have to put up more cash to compete. This is then hard to do when your margins are already being squeezed by the supply disruptions and shortages and cost increases from suppliers and other workers.

Like I said, its not simple.

And, its going to take a while to resolve itself. It will eventually resolve itself, but one thing is for sure: however it resolves itself will not look like the “Old Normal”.

Just one man’s opinion folks, so don’t get your knickers all in a twist.

Chris

The market will eventually level out. PA had FX brand (JSB in disguise) this morning in both .22 and .25. They will probably sell fairly quickly, but you are seeing stock. If JSB can't keep up, others will enter the field and provide. Or, we'll find another brand like H&N that can ramp up and fill the void. It simply takes time.

Apparently, JSB was close completely for over 2 months at the height of Cove, so is still catching up. That takes time.

Patience, but since I don't have any, still frustrated.

In the case of pellets, people often come here to AGN and post, “pellets are in stock at Utah Airguns” or wherever. Then a few people that happen to be on AGN at the time go there, buy 30 tins each and within a couple hours, or sometimes much less, they’re sold out again. I get it, we’re helping each other out and if we can’t get pellets for months at a time, we’d better stock up when we can. The problem is that if we’re at work or wherever and don’t check AGN every half hour, we’re out of luck. It’s happened to me over and over and over again because I’ve been working a lot more since Covid started.

It kind of bothered me when I’d see “pellets in stock” posts 6 hours after the fact. I’d think to myself…Why not let people do the work and find their own pellets! But then I’d also think to myself…If I would have been on AGN and seen that post, I would have been grateful, I would have gone to UA and bought 30 tins too! Basically, how I felt was based if I got some of the pellets or not!😜😂 

People trying to help each other…Cool.

People wanting to stock up on pellets because they’re hard to find…Cool.

People complaining about every little thing, long delays, out of stock products, long shipping times and lost parcels…Not cool but I totally understand and have been guilty myself!

It’s the new world we live in, things may calm down a bit in the future but it will certainly be a while and will never go back to the “normal” that we were all so accustomed to before Covid struck. It’s a very difficult time for many. Try and stay optimistic, thankful for what we have and not angry for what we don’t have. It’s hard for all of us but not being able to order pellets, have to wait a little longer for a scope or have some shipping delays isn’t the end of the world! I’m guilty of being negative at times too but I’m working on it. 😉

I hope you all have a great week!

Stoti

We are seeing the end of a long chain of decisions from companies, large and small, which placed cheap and easy (normally good things) ahead of sustainable and resilient. The companies that managed to balance these two ends of the spectrum are doing better than those who abandoned one side for the other.

Chris

Arguably the best analysis of the problem I've seen to date. I've cut out the single most salient point in my own mind.

We would do well to remember the customer drives many of the business and logistics decisions. IOW some of this is on us.

Thank you for your expertise.

Ive never done it but you can if you make the diy trap and put clothes behind the cardboard, mite work better also with .22 and bigger would be my guess. I never had a problem with a shortage of pellets but if i did definitely be a research topic for me! My only draw back would be the mold and where to make a fire, i live in the city LOL cant do too much here but for my shoot time i go to my brothers house in NH.

it 'is' simple .. people have been taught that its ok to be a pathetic unproductive pos ... then (without getting political) 'some' people give them unlimited opportunity to be a said sorry pos and get away with it and thats exactly what the majority is doing.

MOD EDIT: removed some content. Anyone intellectual person knows that Governments revolve around power and control. AGN is not the place to discuss this.

it 'is' simple .. people have been taught that its ok to be a pathetic unproductive pos ... then (without getting political) 'some' people give them unlimited opportunity to be a said sorry pos and get away with it and thats exactly what the majority is doing.

MOD EDIT: removed some content. Anyone intellectual person knows that Governments revolve around power and control. AGN is not the place to discuss this.

Did you actually read the original post? It really is a well thought out analysis.

Did you actually read the original post? It really is a well thought out analysis.

Thanks OldCrow.

Not sure what dizzums posted had to do with the content of the original post.

We’re still not getting to the root of the problem though. It’s like going to the doctor with flu like symptoms and the doctor only cares about your cough. Gives you cough medicine and sends you on your way. Two weeks later you still feel like crap, but you’re not coughing (I’m not a doctor in anyway so this may not fit perfectly, but I think y’all get the idea). The root of the problem is probably worst at this point than before you went to the doctor.

Not getting political to one side or the other, I think they’re both evil, and we have a major issue with the power structure in our country. They control everything we do outside of our private lives, by controlling our businesses which is the lifeblood of our economy. They’ve ruined our schools, universities, religion and family structures. We’ve seen this happen many times in history. Every issue for me goes back to them, or our pseudogovernment (social media). I don’t think we’re going to see anything except this problem getting worst.

We’ve all been tricked, as George Carlin said “it’s a big club and you and I are not in it.

We’re still not getting to the root of the problem though. It’s like going to the doctor with flu like symptoms and the doctor only cares about your cough. Gives you cough medicine and sends you on your way. Two weeks later you still feel like crap, but you’re not coughing (I’m not a doctor in anyway so this may not fit perfectly, but I think y’all get the idea). The root of the problem is probably worst at this point than before you went to the doctor.

Not getting political to one side or the other, I think they’re both evil, and we have a major issue with the power structure in our country. They control everything we do outside of our private lives, by controlling our businesses which is the lifeblood of our economy. They’ve ruined our schools, universities, religion and family structures. We’ve seen this happen many times in history. Every issue for me goes back to them, or our pseudogovernment (social media). I don’t think we’re going to see anything except this problem getting worst.

We’ve all been tricked, as George Carlin said “it’s a big club and you and I are not in it.

The problem I see in your analysis though is the idea that there is some "they" (whoever and whichever side they are on) out there who have somehow engineered this. There is a power structure in every human society, but I have seen no evidence in my reading and experience of history to suggest that it is all "planed" somehow. The communists tried it for 70+ years. Didn't work, or at least, certainly didn't go as they planned. So. from my perspective, lets look at the more probable causes and changes that we can identify, rather than looking to shadowy figures behind the curtain.

We have had a major disruption in the world's economic system. Any system subject to enough shocks can be destabilized. The effects of this destabilization are not always predictable, and generally not evenly distributed. Reactions to the initial shock, or series of shocks, leads to further instability until a new equilibrium is established. That's really the point I am trying to make. We can identify some, not all, of the effects and after-effects and counter effects. Given the points I can identify it is not surprising (at least not to me) that we have the current logistical nightmare.

And, by the way, I LOVE George Carlin and that's a great quote.

So you’re thinking on this, is the current logistical nightmare which is happening almost entirely worldwide is because of covid?

I don’t see it that way. When we have all figure heads spouting the same obvious lies I have to think it’s for a reason. Passing bills to print more money so inflation will go down is an obvious lie to me that has motives that do not include helping our financial struggles. Printing money raises inflation, always has always will. That just an example, one of many.

How about the lockdowns and stripping of rights? Do you see it as a coincidence? How about closing small businesses while allowing major organizations to flourish? There’s just to much lining up for me to say we got here naturally. People in power will always seek more power, I believe that’s what they are doing now. The they I refer to is the upper hierarchical class in the world. The people who are not only rich, but also have influential power. 

I always saw George Carlin as an angry old man until the last few years. I think he takes a little more maturity to really get a love for. I’d sure like to see what would be on his special today if he was here with us.

Well, I am going to stay away from the whole discussion about "lockdowns and stripping of rights", both because I don't think that its productive in this context and also because I don't think this is the place for it. After all, this is an AIRGUN forum.

I agree with you on Carlin, so that's a good thing :)

The current logistical nightmare certainly had it's initial impetus because of Covid. The real issue NOW is that with that initial shock there have been a number of other things which have happened and which have had a multiplier effect of that initial shock. The growth in Work From Home (WFH), the surge in demand for some items, the extreme surge in demand for online shopping, etc.

Bringing it all back to AIRGUNS and associated accessories, the current disconnect between extreme demand and highly disrupted supply, especially given the distributed and international nature of our hobby/industry is pretty easy to relate to these factors, rather than any others, like a ruling class around the globe (regardless of ones view on whether or not it exists).