• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Refinishing gun stock ideas?

Not liking the feel and wanting a weaver rail up front, I placed the stock on a table saw and sliced the belly out. Putting the flat top side against the fence I cut till the gauge was flush with the stock. The blade still runs higher, and passes over the trigger area. I then tightened up the fence and cut to about 3/4" of the gauge. I removed about a 1/4" placed a hand sawn cut, and removed the remaining wood with a chisel. I've seen videos of the use of ammonia to bring out the grain. It provided a more vibrant grain and that was the first time I saw that method. Joe did the mad rock star burn with some great results. A butane torch is a more subtle method the grain will rise and you will loose some color as you sand it down. Another approach is a multi layered stain, take the finish sanded stock and add a series of stains- colors starting with the darkest and then additional layers with lighter contrasting colors. One combo that yields contrasting results is to start with ebony, Jacobean, or black oil paint like Rustoleum. Lay it on in areas you want to highlight. The grain lines do not accept color as easily or as darker as the softer open grain in between the grain. Using a cheapo 1/4" brush and painting the line will give you good results. Using strait stain it takes multiple applications, with the paint added and letting it set for a couple of hours. Now take mineral spirits, and old tee shirt and rub it out. Next layer take something red-orange like a cherry-mahogany stain and cover the whole stock, you might be done. If the look suits you, now top off with something to gently roll all the colors together like an Ipswich pine. As far as a finish Polyurethane, boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits will get you there. I finished a couple of Disco and Marauder stocks with a very old crusty caked up gloss poly that had two inches of hard skim on it. Initial mix was about 4 parts poly 1 part BLO 1 mineral spirits. Tee shirt rub on 0000 steel wool repeat, added more mineral spirit two coats with steel wool, added more mineral spirits 2 more coats. A good trick is to cut the additional coats and you'll end up with a glass finish. It's human nature people are cautious with things they are not familiar with. I stripped and sanded the original stock with a good 5 inch orbital and 4 quality pads, and about 3 foot of 1 inch sanding roll in various grits in 20 minutes. So it's not the end of the world if you don't like it. With that said I have 6 LW blanks and an atlas lathe sitting in the garage that I am reluctant to try.