Tuning RedWolf hp / Heliboard

1597671814_11771876155f3a8986d09a77.12862121.jpg

This is my helliboard but my rifle was rated at 50ftlbs from the factory 

Makes sense. 

Yah the guy that gave me the board has a safari so that's probably where the 'issue' lies. I have sent Jack a mail and hopefully he'll confirm. Pity as I'd have bought direct from Jack had I known that they weren't necessarily a one size fits all type thing. I did get it for a great price though 🤷‍♂️

I guess I'll just run the voltage at the 81v minimum, shorten up the pulse lengths and be sure to never run the gun beyond the factory max power. I wanted the heliboard for the low end flexibility anyway. I'll chat to Jack and make sure of exactly what's safe regarding avoiding hammer peening etc. 

Thanks for your insight 🙏🏻 at least I'm a bit more comfortable with the voltages involved and not waiting for a wisp of smoke and the smell of burnt out electronics 😆

Lol there would be nothing worse than seeing wisps of smoke coming from a redwolf ! 

Jack may be able swap them for you and reprogram the board ,seeing as the helliboard is quite light , the shipping shouldnt be much.

I set my board up to run a .25 ,38g slug at 859fps ( 66ftlbs) at power setting 10 and a 25.39g jsb king at 920fps on power setting 6 .

I have tried seeing what the lowest end setting does and it was giving me 15ftlbs with a 25g pellet but accuracy was horrendous, i guess i could try different pellets at that setting and maybe tweek the boards settings but i generally use it at the higher power settings only .

Let me know how you get on 

Thanks 

Paul 

This is what the HP HeliBoard looks like below the factory GCU2.0 board, and a typical shot string level 8 with RD Monsters. The two columns have pressure from n “r” values and FPS. This is with standard HeliBoard programming and capacitors at 90 vdc. I tried for many hours but ended up back at the factory HeliBoard settings. The red jumper on the right is removed in the HeliBoard setup. 

1597679310_13091992015f3aa6ce928863.28801034.jpeg

1597679349_3485233925f3aa6f521a880.68191612.jpeg

Thanks for the post. You are convincing me to purchase one for my Red Wolf .22 HP.

Question: have you done any shot strings on medium and low power. I'm looking for using low power to practice with but I'm having issue with the shot string using medium and low power with JSB 18.1. I'm getting a standard dev of 6.5 or higher and the spread of 30. I'm curious on what you see with the Heliboard.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Hi Scott, on level 3 my gun shoots the JSB 18s at 890 to 900 FPS. However, my specific gun doesn’t really like the 18s much and for 25M BR the RD Monsters are much more accurate at 760 FPS on level 3. ES for 50 shot string on both is approx. 12 to 15 FPS. 
Try the JSB KO .217 slugs on level 9 at about 990 FPS. Very accurate...

So Jack confirmed the board I've got is a safari board.

Also confirmed there's no harm in using it so long as I don't overpower the internals. I suppose running the capacitors at their programmed minimum will be good for overall longevity, the opposite of what I was initially worried about. 

I guess I'll probably need to do a bit of extra tuning to get the shot strings flat but so far the first 5 power levels with the voltage at 81v are already in pretty good territory both in terms of useability and consistency and should do quite nicely for now.

Thanks Centercut

Have you found any pellet other then the JSB monster redesign that works good for you on medium or low power. I also am having accuracy issues with the JSB 18.1s. I do think the JSB 15.89 work better on low power. I do a lot of practicing in my backyard. I have 40 yards. I just don't like using the monters at 50 ft/lbs in the backyard. Too much power for the neighborhood. 

Thanks

Scott

Thanks for the post. You are convincing me to purchase one for my Red Wolf .22 HP.

Question: have you done any shot strings on medium and low power. I'm looking for using low power to practice with but I'm having issue with the shot string using medium and low power with JSB 18.1. I'm getting a standard dev of 6.5 or higher and the spread of 30. I'm curious on what you see with the Heliboard.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Hey @svhopta

I saw you had several questions about the lower factory settings and comparing them to the Helliboard. I have the gen 1 22HP, but here is some info. 

I must have deleted my 18.1gr shot strings before I installed the Helliboard, so I cannot confirm exactly what I was getting before the swap, but I think my speeds on low were around 890 and similar spreads to yours. It was not that great at 50 yards. One thing I found is that starting around 230 BAR makes a big difference with my rifle. Starting at 240 or 250, my spread doubles, so I try to start at 230 (even though box says 250 BAR).

With the gen 1 HP Helliboard, setting 7 is the closest to factory low setting. If I stick with starting around 230, In 3 20 shot groups, I averaged an ES 7-9 and SD 2.5-2.7.

I found that setting 8 shot better at 50 (not tons better but less fliers), but speeds jumped to 944 range with similar ES and SD. Wind didn’t seem to affect it as much (but very limited testing).

I have only tested it at a little with 18, as I focused more on 25RD. I plan on spending some more time on the 18, to confirm what it likes.

My rife shot great at 50 with 24RD at around 919 average, so I’m hoping that that accuracy stays at 50 and improves at 100. Same for the 18. That is why I got the Helliboard, to dial it in and give me options. 

Thanks Smok3y

I appreciate it. I'm basically looking for 3 things.

1. Lower the spread for the shot string. 30+ is just too much. 

2. Lower the STDEV. I like what I'm seeing from the Heliboard posts. 

3. Most important. Accuracy. The JSB 25.4 redesigns are shooting pretty good. About .375 center to center at 40 yards (backyard range). The JSB 18.1 where doing similar for a while then started having way too many flyers. A friend told me I probably had a bad tin so I switch to a different lot that I had and that improved it. It is just frustrating to see flyers from the gun at 40 yards. 

I did some shooting at 75 and 100 a couple weeks ago and the JSB 18.1 at 955 fps where hitting a 1.5 inch spinner most of the time at 75. I'm still working on the 100 yards. But I'm just working on consistency.

I have a Pulsar .177 for field target that is spot on great with JSB 10.34 at 870 FPS. At 40 yards I can do 5 shots better then .25 inch center to center. I just want to get the Red wolf .22 HP the same. 

Thanks Centercut

Have you found any pellet other then the JSB monster redesign that works good for you on medium or low power. I also am having accuracy issues with the JSB 18.1s. I do think the JSB 15.89 work better on low power. I do a lot of practicing in my backyard. I have 40 yards. I just don't like using the monters at 50 ft/lbs in the backyard. Too much power for the neighborhood. 

Thanks

Scott

My Midnight Wolf has the Helliboard does not like the 18.1 jsb but loves the 15.9 I have noticed a few guns the same. On P2 they shoot at 960fps lights out and 820 on P1.

Try some 23 grain H&N slugs on P6 at 960 fps there pretty good looking forward to trying the Knockouts in a couple of weeks.

Try the H&N Barracuda Match at the largest diameter you can find, like 5.55mm. You can also shoot the RD Monsters on level 3 at 35 fpe and they are accurate at that speed.

Thanks for the tip on the Barra's I have tried them a few times but they have spiralled badly but i only have the 5.50 I will try the 5.55 it is a pellet I would like to use.

And good to hear the Knockouts work.

Hi Smok3y

I just purchase the Helliboard for my Red Wolf .22 HP. Question for you. Do you have any long shot strings for either the JSB Monster 25.49s or the JSB 15.89s. 

My original Red Wolf .22 HP board shoots the 15.89 good at low power about 960 FPS.

Any info you can send me I'll appreciate it.

Thanks

I don’t have any shot strings over 20. The only time I have had the chrony on it was when testing. 

What info are you looking for? Do you have the Safari board version of the HP or the prior version. I have the prior version, but it shoots great. 

On that board, mine likes the 25RDs at power 11. avg 988 FPS. It likes the FX 25s on power 10 as well, around 955.

It also likes the JSB 18gr on power 8, which is around 950. The FX 18s like power 7 and 8, but I think they do a touch better on 7, around 880. The JSBs hate power 7, at least the current batch does.

I just shot 5 shot strings (or less) with each pellet as I tested each power level to get an idea of speed. Then I tested them more on the speeds that made sense. And then tested some more. I took notes to help me remember which it liked

Hi Smok3y

Thanks for the info. I was just looking to see if you had a long shot string. With the original board from Daystate, I have the JSB 25.49s at 955 FPS. The spread is about 20 - 25. I get pretty good accuracy. I tried JSB 18.1 on medium power but it's really picky and I see flyers about .5 inch off my group at 40 yards. On low power the JSB 15.89 are pretty good. .375 to under .5 at 40 yards. BTW 40 yards is what I have in my backyard. 

My issue with the original board is the Stdev is around 6 - 7. Too high for me. I have a programmer and tried many times to reduce the Stdev but can't seem to get it lower, especially on low power with the JSB 15.89.

I ordered a Helliboard and am waiting for it to be shipped. 

Thanks for your help.