Tuning RedWolf hp / Heliboard

Here you go. Hope this helps.

From Jack G

Calibration menu has changed recently , the manual has not been updated yet.
If you need any other info let me know.

https://odysee.com/@jameslaskaris:5/Level-Calibration:a

TYVM !!! I recieved no manual or instructions with my board. Everything I know about it I learned from 2 yr. old videos on YT. Hopefully I'll be able to find and implement these features.

Thanks again.

Well, I had a very "interesting" experience with my RW this week. I produced a tune that I believed would become a permanent fixture on the Heliboard.

Shot count: 50
Low: 944
Hi: 958
Avg: 951
STD Dev: 2.9
Spread: 14.0

The above was a product of a long manual tuning session ( even after several hours of trying to decipher Jack's manual and video, I still can't figure out how to get the guns "AUTO TUNE" to work) and I was very happy with it. Unfortunately upon returning to the range the next day, even though the Rp values and the voltages of all the set points hadn't changed, the gun shot about 30fps slower! WTH???

Well this lead to more hours of scrutiny of Jack's materials, which lead to NO FURTHER understanding and subsequently another 3.5 hour manual tuning marathon of shooting, adjusting, refilling, test shooting, readjusting, retesting (rinse and repeat) of all 20 adjustment points in this, one of 12 programs. This time, once I was finished, I went back, refilled to 250b and ran the entire 50 shot string to verify it. This is what I ended up with:

Shot count: 55
Low: 944
Hi: 960
Avg: 953
STD Dev: 3.6
Spread: 16.0

Hopefully when I return to the range tomorrow, the FPS will have held true. Fingers crossed.

Well, I'm pleased to report that although the program didn't return 100% of the same results, it did hit at about 95% and with some very minor fine tuning I was able to get this:

Notes
verification 249b to 149b
Pellet: JSB rd
Weight: 25.39 gr

Shot count: 83
Low: 942
Hi: 958
Avg: 949
STD Dev: 3.2
Spread: 16

The gun remains supremely accurate (much better than me) although it is, like all hex barrels, very sensitive to getting dirty, simply running a couple of patches through after every tin (200 shots or so) keeps flyers at bay. Now on to programming a 960 fps set.

Cheers.

Reactions: turbospud
have you deviated much from the standard adjustment points and what voltage did you settle on

I created the tune from scratch as none of the default tunes were anywhere close to the level of consistency I wanted.

Even the tune I've created has its sweet spot from 210 bar to 150 bar where it's uber consistent.

If you're interested in a starting point, this is where I landed.

Screenshot_20230401_180228_FDB free.jpg

Screenshot_20230401_180212_FDB free.jpg

Hey Michael, do you have a firm grasp on how the Heliboard fixed tuning points effect the shots in a string. I began by thinking any given "R" point effects only the shots above it and below the next higher "R" point. However, after a couple thousand tuning shots, I'm leaning towards the idea that each "R" point effects half the shots between both the next higher and the next lower "R" value.

Any thoughts or insights on this?

Hey Michael, do you have a firm grasp on how the Heliboard fixed tuning points effect the shots in a string. I began by thinking any given "R" point effects only the shots above it and below the next higher "R" point. However, after a couple thousand tuning shots, I'm leaning towards the idea that each "R" point effects half the shots between both the next higher and the next lower "R" value.

Any thoughts or insights on this?
You are correct. The points above and below your calibration point will also be affected. Thats what makes it so tricky. To get the most of your new HeliBoard "tune", make sure you use weighed pellets that are all the same +/- a grain. I have rarely got results better than those that come with the board when you buy it, even after many hours and thousands of pellets spend tuning...

Reactions: JoePolanco
It has been a while but nothing much has changed. I continue to be a bit mystified by this gun. One day it's amazing, the next it's a shotgun.

Two days ago I took the gun out for the first time in a couple of weeks. It remained on the last program I been using which had delivered very good results shooting JSB 25.39 Monster RDs at 944fps. However, on this day, the velocity had dropped dramatically to a very consistent 907fps, but with the POI of a shotgun!

I gave myself a couple of days to decompress, mainly to keep from smashing the damn thing over a fench post, and returned after the weekend to the same mess. Well, I had already tried everything from 860 thru 980 so before giving up on the Heliboard, I decided to go UP in speed. I hadn't heard of anyone having success at 1000+ with 25.39s, but what did I have to lose?

To make an already painfully long story a little shorter, 1040 tightened things up from softball sized groups to tennis ball size. 1020 further improved things to halfdollar sized groups and finally, 1004 got me the sub MOA results I had been looking for.

At these speeds things dramatically changed. The gun went from being able to give 70+ shots at 944fps to only 30 useable shots at 1004.

The 2nd pic below is of the 25 shots used to shoot the top target in picture 3. The 1st pic shows what happens at exactly shot 25 as velocity drops until I refill at shot 40. BTW - Virtually everything I shoot is always at 100 yds. as are the targets shown here.

One thing is certain, this gun has not been easy to figure out and continues to keep life interesting.

Screenshot_20230601_052705_FX Radar.jpg

Screenshot_20230601_052720_FX Radar.jpg

RW 22 HP 100yds @ 1004fps.jpg

Last edited:
I've had batches of pellets that were fairly consistent at the moa level at 100 yds and 980, then new batch is 950 and softball sized. Our 3 Red Wolfs have been extremely solid other than crappy batches of MRD's. All have Heliboards. The 940 area has been the minimum good shooting velocity pretty consistently.
Not sure of any other reason if all is healthy.
A reasonable test would be to see if other ammo... say 16s or 18s normally shoot well and try those when you have some uncertainty.
We use Gunzilla as a lube and also to clean. At 980 wihout lube, less than 100 shots to lead up the barrel. With lube, around 300. Leading shouldn't affect velocity though.
Bob

Reactions: JoePolanco