RedWolf heavy pellets

What are the heaviest pellets you guys are shooting with the RedWolf? Have a Wolf with the heliboard in it, so can tune things a bit. Have been curious about some of the larger weight slugs for hunting.\

So what say you guys?

Chris,

I just authored a post on Friday, asking the same question. Mine question was specific to slugs and experiences using over 25G; really in the 30G-40G range for my Safari .22 HP. My interest was oriented towards Bench Rest use. I will let you know if I get anything back.

Here is my post.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/redwolf-safari-22-hp-question-using-heavier-slugs-for-n50-benchrest/?referrer=1

Missed that one... will take a look there as well.

I am curious if the RedWolf system even has the ability to push pellets this high at a reasonable velocity to be effective. Worse case scenario I can always get some and see what happens.

Me too.

I am thinking ( guessing really ) that since I can shoot the KO 25g slug at 940 FPS on Medium power with v.g. accuracy, I should be able to shoot heavier slugs on High power. I was trying to avoid buying all sorts of slug weights to test and perhaps get some experience from others shooting in the 30-40g range. Like you, I think the ability to push higher than 35g slug may be too slow, but I’m not sure either. 

I shoot 25.4s at 980 on pl8 in 22, 16.1s at 980 on pl5 in 177, 33.4s at 900 on pl9 in 25, and 50.1s at 900 in 30 on pl12. The 30 might be able to do a little more but not much. I did use 49 gn NSA's in 30 cal at 1 point near 900 fps on pl12 and they were great. I think I've run 33.4s at 980 on pl11 but can't remember for sure. All of these were the same in Wally, my RW w Heliboard, or my Safari. There is power available, regardless.

Bob

I shoot 25.4s at 980 on pl8 in 22, 16.1s at 980 on pl5 in 177, 33.4s at 900 on pl9 in 25, and 50.1s at 900 in 30 on pl12. The 30 might be able to do a little more but not much. I did use 49 gn NSA's in 30 cal at 1 point near 900 fps on pl12 and they were great. I think I've run 33.4s at 980 on pl11 but can't remember for sure. All of these were the same in Wally, my RW w Heliboard, or my Safari. There is power available, regardless.

Bob

Good info Bob.

Re. .22 HP Redwolf testing - Have you shot/tested slug weights greater than 25 grain?

Tom 

I have shot a few slugs in a great variety of weights, so probably .... in 22, the 20.2s have been a universal standout but I'm not very interested in slugs. I can't recall any short tests showing promise with heavier Zans or NSA's. I f it doesn't show promise, I don't continue the test.... again... really not very interested in them. The 49 gn NSA's were brought to a hunt that I was invitedto to and I set my Safari up with them for another person. They were stunning, but I've not pursued it further.

The only slug I'm interested in developing further is the 177, 20.2 gn. Initial tests were incredible but I've not had time for more development yet.

Bob

I have shot a few slugs in a great variety of weights, so probably .... in 22, the 20.2s have been a universal standout but I'm not very interested in slugs. I can't recall any short tests showing promise with heavier Zans or NSA's. I f it doesn't show promise, I don't continue the test.... again... really not very interested in them. The 49 gn NSA's were brought to a hunt that I was invitedto to and I set my Safari up with them for another person. They were stunning, but I've not pursued it further.

The only slug I'm interested in developing further is the 177, 20.2 gn. Initial tests were incredible but I've not had time for more development yet.

Bob

OK Thanks Bob. 

Bob

Good info Bob.

Re. .22 HP Redwolf testing - Have you shot/tested slug weights greater than 25 grain?

Tom

my "to go" slug is the H&N 23g .217 @975fps (mid power), but also tested 27 and 30gr (also .217 H&N´s) on high power and they were flying at 975 and 950 fps... very good accuracy but nothing like those 23´s.

Bob

Good info Bob.

Tom

my "to go" slug is the H&N 23g .217 @975fps (mid power), but also tested 27 and 30gr (also .217 H&N´s) on high power and they were flying at 975 and 950 fps... very good accuracy but nothing like those 23´s.

Thank you for your post. Appreciate your input and I think I will give them a try.

I’m trying to avoid buying the Heliboard and just try some different slugs with current Hi, Medium and Low power settings. I’m not seeing anyone using / testing slugs in the 30-40g range with the .22 HP, which actually surprises me. 

Thanks again!

I have no experience with slugs of any weight, but I'll offer an observation. Most .22 RF barrels are 16 twist, and are designed around the 40 grain bullet. I believe mist air rifle barrels are closer to 18 twist, as well as having a different groove profile. So, it seems unlikely to me that the typical pellet barrel is going to shoot these heavy slugs very well. I would expect stabilization to be relatively poor. But, volumes have been written about stuff I don't know! Good luck.

I have no experience with slugs of any weight, but I'll offer an observation. Most .22 RF barrels are 16 twist, and are designed around the 40 grain bullet. I believe mist air rifle barrels are closer to 18 twist, as well as having a different groove profile. So, it seems unlikely to me that the typical pellet barrel is going to shoot these heavy slugs very well. I would expect stabilization to be relatively poor. But, volumes have been written about stuff I don't know! Good luck.

This could be why we are both ( Chris and I ) not seeing much experience using the heavier slugs in the .22 HP Red Wolf. Seeing pretty good results with some .22 caliber slugs under 30g, but not seeing much if any user experience with heavier slugs in the 30-40g range. Thanks Ed.

Have been thinking about that as well.

I know my sako and cz love the 40 grain rounds, and are quite fun to shoot out past 300 yards. I have some old rounds that I wont shoot through them, and try and get some pictures of the powder rounds next to the ZAN slugs. Got some smaller weights as well to play with, the 40's are just a curiosity more than anything

Last post was over a year ago; nobody is working with the H&N HP 30gr 22. It is coated with a something plastic like perhaps like some 22LR rounds. It is a heavier slug. FX recommends the heavy barrel liner for .22 projectiles over 23gr. I have the 700mm barrel, the twist is 1:16 according to FX. I don't think my liner is choked and the .218 slug was recommended. I'm still messing with dialing it in. I'm starting to wonder if the slug rabbit hole is worth running down. I'm told they can get 1MOA or below at 100yrds.