Daystate Redwolf .22HP - When they are all flyers????

My Red wolf hates and I mean hates JSB RD!!!!!!! And that's 3 different barrels!!!! The last barrel I am using is off a Daystate Pulsar and it shoots JTS 25.3 like a laser at 50yards...then it's Shoots the 18.1/ 21/22 grain JTS great on mid power!!! That gun loves the JTS pellets....
My Red Wolf shoots the better the H&N Baracudas 21.14 grain.

Make a recoil trigger and you will never miss a shot, well maybe if you have a heavy gun and are getting down to 12 ft/lb. You could map out the radar beam using SNR and make a device to aim perfectly accurately that always works and aligns perfectly on the unit all the time. I did that and have never had one problem since. Once that is taken care of, you can then just use the doppler trigger to trigger every shot, aiming a labradar is super critical. Literally a 1.5 foot error of true center of beam at 110 yards on my range drops SNR on initial pickup of 22 projectiles from 40+ to just over 30(I have a range with lots of radar noise scatter and yours likely does too with a wall of trees that close). At your range with the thick woods just 50 yards downrange, try setting the labradar on the low power setting, get it aimed correct and see if your SNR improves. With the low power setting you will usually get a better signal to noise ratio at shorter ranges with a background so close to scatter a lot of radar noise back, as long as you are aimed accurately every time.
I'll have to try it on low power or at least double check which power it's on. I tried to make one of the Recoil Trigger. I can't say I had much success using it. I think I'll just buy one and be done.

How did you map out the Labradar?

Smitty

I'll have to try it on low power or at least double check which power it's on. I tried to make one of the Recoil Trigger. I can't say I had much success using it. I think I'll just buy one and be done.

How did you map out the Labradar?

Smitty
I'll write something up and PM you, it will be a long read, but not too bad in practice.

Must probably:

1.- Loose barrel or loose scope rings.

2.- Out of order scope.

3.- Inside barrel o'ring lost.

4 - Scope out of focus on the rear ring.
I second checking the inside barrel o-ring. Even a worn o-ring can leak air and severely affect accuracy. You can do a tissue paper test to see if the breech o-ring is leaking.

Also, check the o-ring on the barrel that contacts the shroud. If it is missing or worn/hardened, that can also cause accuracy issues.

Reactions: Smitty911
I second checking the inside barrel o-ring. Even a worn o-ring can leak air and severely affect accuracy. You can do a tissue paper test to see if the breech o-ring is leaking.

Also, check the o-ring on the barrel that contacts the shroud. If it is missing or worn/hardened, that can also cause accuracy issues.
I had my shroud off yesterday and noticed the front oring was worn and didn't think nothing of it but I didn't notice it just seemed off for some reason thanks for the tip I'll have to try new orings out

I had my shroud off yesterday and noticed the front oring was worn and didn't think nothing of it but I didn't notice it just seemed off for some reason thanks for the tip I'll have to try new orings out
Those o-rings can get stiff or worn out over time. Let us know whether a change of o-ring fixes the problem!

Ok, back at it.

This morning I took the scope off - It was tight. Took the barrel out and removed the shroud, Barrel was tight. Got out the cleaning fluid, some patches and my new Carbon cleaning rod and some patches. Well the new rod wouldn't enter the breech with a patch, grab old brass one and start the process.

OMG - It was disgusting.

I didn't think it was that bad, so about 2 hours later to get clean patches through I was done. Ended up using a brass brush about 1 hour into it to scrub it a little. Finished up with wet patches with cleaning solution and a bunch of dry patches.

Lubed up all the o-rings for the shroud and barrel and re-installed it. Set the scope back on and moved it about to where it was. Took out the LabRadar, Shooting Table, etc. etc. I set the LabRadar to Low Power instead of Normal, get it aimed as best I could. Instead of starting at Power Level 12, I started at Power Level 1.
Power Level 1 Average - 599
Power Level 2 Average - 665
Power Level 3 Average - 755
Power Level 4 Average - 814
Power Level 5 Average - 845
Power Level 6 Average - 887
Power Level 7 Average - 927
Power Level 8 Average - 949
Power Level 9 Average - 956
Power Level 10 Average - 980

Also found the PRS Rail/BiPod mount was loose.

Well that's much better, Power Level 2 was 4 pellets in the hole, the one just outside was me. Power Level 5 was used to set the scope after moving it. The lower power setting on LabRadar captured all the shots. I also used the Single Shot Tray for all of the shots.

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like a dirty barrel and a loose mount can make you loose it all.

Smitty

20240227_134910.jpg

Cool hope it stays figured out for ya I tore my redwolf apart the other day drop in a new 22 hp valve with the transfer port maxed out at I think it was .217 drill bit also took the throat to .217 and about a 1/4 inch deeper . Took the poppet stem down to .090 where it's in the valve . The barrel I funneled out the transfer port in it but didn't go deep enough to change it inside the barrel a whole lot took added a ounce to the hammer as well on level 12 with 700 cc bottle shooting 34 gr pellets at 980 fps they did alright but I was pushing the gun to hard tried level 10 with 25 gr 22 cal redesigns they were at 1025 fps set it to level 8 25 gr are running 945 and recoil isnt as noticable as it was with 34 gr pellets also installed a blue chassis PRS I got off of the classifieds kinda blown away by the numbers it was putting up for a 22 cal

Reactions: Smitty911
I just fixed my best shooting PCP today after it shot several poor 30 yard challenge targets. Turned out to be a little bit loose scope mount. My score improved almost 20 points with the screw tightened. I cleaned the barrel first but it didn't seem to do anything. This is my P35-22 which loves H&N Baracuda Match pellets. Speed doesn't seem to make much difference. Shot a 197 today at 795 fps and it's best is a 200 at 835 fps.

Congratulations on fixing your redwolf.

Reactions: Airgunmann
Ok, back at it.

This morning I took the scope off - It was tight. Took the barrel out and removed the shroud, Barrel was tight. Got out the cleaning fluid, some patches and my new Carbon cleaning rod and some patches. Well the new rod wouldn't enter the breech with a patch, grab old brass one and start the process.

OMG - It was disgusting.

I didn't think it was that bad, so about 2 hours later to get clean patches through I was done. Ended up using a brass brush about 1 hour into it to scrub it a little. Finished up with wet patches with cleaning solution and a bunch of dry patches.

Lubed up all the o-rings for the shroud and barrel and re-installed it. Set the scope back on and moved it about to where it was. Took out the LabRadar, Shooting Table, etc. etc. I set the LabRadar to Low Power instead of Normal, get it aimed as best I could. Instead of starting at Power Level 12, I started at Power Level 1.
Power Level 1 Average - 599
Power Level 2 Average - 665
Power Level 3 Average - 755
Power Level 4 Average - 814
Power Level 5 Average - 845
Power Level 6 Average - 887
Power Level 7 Average - 927
Power Level 8 Average - 949
Power Level 9 Average - 956
Power Level 10 Average - 980

Also found the PRS Rail/BiPod mount was loose.

Well that's much better, Power Level 2 was 4 pellets in the hole, the one just outside was me. Power Level 5 was used to set the scope after moving it. The lower power setting on LabRadar captured all the shots. I also used the Single Shot Tray for all of the shots.

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like a dirty barrel and a loose mount can make you loose it all.

Smitty

View attachment 440158
Glad it was an easy fix! The new/old Redesigned with shallow skirts are hitting the shelves as we speak....you should definitely get some! They also have the new 20gr & 28gr FYI if you didn't already know 👍

Reactions: Airgunmann
Glad it was an easy fix! The new/old Redesigned with shallow skirts are hitting the shelves as we speak....you should definitely get some! They also have the new 20gr & 28gr FYI if you didn't already know 👍
I picked up a couple tins of the 25.4 grain JTS, I'll be tying them soon. I also picked up some of the 20 grain JTS as well. I'll have to get some of the other redesignes.

Smitty

OMG - It was disgusting.

I'm glad to hear you got it figured out but I just wanted to say my spidey sense was tingling at the prospect of a barrel so difficult and time-consuming to clean. A bore that has been smoothed with J-B is usually very quick and easy.

Approximately how many pellets had been put through it since it was last cleaned (or since the J-B treatment, if those are the same), and what was the cleaning solution? Just looking for clues because that sounds so far outside the norm...I must be missing something.

I'm glad to hear you got it figured out but I just wanted to say my spidey sense was tingling at the prospect of a barrel so difficult and time-consuming to clean. A bore that has been smoothed with J-B is usually very quick and easy.

Approximately how many pellets had been put through it since it was last cleaned (or since the J-B treatment, if those are the same), and what was the cleaning solution? Just looking for clues because that sounds so far outside the norm...I must be missing something.
Nervoustrig,

The whole rifle may have 4-5 200 count tins through it. Pellets since a polishing maybe 100 pellets. I normally pull that green Weed Wacker thing with the 22cal plug through it with a patch after shooting. It appears that it doesn't do a good enough job removing any build up that a better job must be done. I just started using Frog Lube Extreme, supposed to be non-toxic and doesn't damage O-rings. It may have been starting at PL12 and fouling the barrel and it just got worse as I went down in power. The bore "feels" smooth until you get to the choke and there is a very noticeable reduction in size there. I bent my brass cleaning rod getting it through there. My new Carbon Fiber won't even fit with a patch past the Viton O-ring at the breech.

Looks like I'll be cleaning a little more often and maybe trying a the Frog Lube on the pellets. I seem to recall reading that someone had some success with that in reducing the fouling.

Smitty