RedWolf .22 HP update

So did some tuning on the RedWolf .22 HP with the help of Michael who kindly provided me his spreadsheet of the settings he used to tune his...

I changed the pulse lengths through the power ranges now averaging 965 on high, 952 on medium and 940 on low all with the JSB Redesings.

Did some experimenting and seems the 940-mid 950 range is the sweet spot and am still amazed at the accuracy of this thing!

Barrel needs a bit more cleaning but small price to pay!!

I also ordered the heliboard from Greece so have that on the way to give me even more adjustability....

Will keep you posted!

Thanks again for the help Michael!

Dr. Mike,

How do you order the Heliboard, and if I may ask - How much?

I have a RW .22 HP and would like the finer adjustments of that board.

I am currently getting 988 fps on average from my medium setting (with JSB RD Monster 25.39 gr) and getting good accuracy - but think that's a little hot for the pellet. Like to tune it down a bit, but LOW is only 880 fps.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am a bit nervous to install it....Any tips or tricks I should know of??

Thanks!

If you can change a blown fuse in your car with the tweezers than you are fine.

1596696596_20201896165f2ba8140ac2c1.53986796.png

Email Jack in Greece:

[email protected]

Cost was about 300.00 (He only accepts Euros as payment via PayPal and was 228 Euros).

He sends you detailed instructions for installation as well...

Figured might as well try it for the price and with the .22 HP he says on the highest power setting the 25.39 Redesigns run roughly 970-980 FPS and there are 12 power settings so can shoot the 18 grains as well on lower power or slugs etc.

I plan on competing with mine someday so wanted as much adjustability as possible though I will say just using the programmer I was able to get all three power levels tuned solely for the Redesigns....

I agree with Spray1Mark. We have 3 set up as 22 right now and all 3 seem best at 100 over 970 fps and do very well to 1020. Not sure why Jack would quote 980 on pl12. I run both that I have HB's on at 980 on pl8. I can put my 30 cal barrel on and get 900 with 51 grain pellets on pl12.

His production programming is really pretty good so you should be able to get good performance right away. For instance , with my 30 barrel, it gave 36 shots from 250 bar to 195 bar with an ES of 5 , pl 12 and 51 gn pellets. Pl 11 was 910 w 44 gn and ES of 8 for 45 shots over same pressure range. 580 cc bottle.

On the installation, pay attention to static electricity and touching the components and proceed with real care and you will be fine. The 2 areas I've seen that are most delicate are the safety actuation lever and solenoid wires. If you stress the tiny lever sideways , it can pop off but can be reinstalled. The wires on the solenoid can't be repaired if you break one, so just handle them with care. Also, his boards retain the charge once the battery has been connected so handle with care.... generally. .....

Hope this helps ,

Bob

Just wanted to add.... I have more issues going LOW ENOUGH in power and Jack has given you a voltage control on the menu. Don't be afraid to change it. You can raise or lower the voltage from 81 to 96 but he recommended staying below 93 to me. A .5 V change yielded from 10 to 20 fps change pretty much across the pl you're in without doing much to the curve... depending on where you are in the power range. Pretty handy for accuracy testing in fine velocity increments and VERY handy for lowering the velocity when I've put the 177 barrel on.

Just wanted to add.... I have more issues going LOW ENOUGH in power and Jack has given you a voltage control on the menu. Don't be afraid to change it. You can raise or lower the voltage from 81 to 96 but he recommended staying below 93 to me. A .5 V change yielded from 10 to 20 fps change pretty much across the pl you're in without doing much to the curve... depending on where you are in the power range. Pretty handy for accuracy testing in fine velocity increments and VERY handy for lowering the velocity when I've put the 177 barrel on.

Is the voltage setting by PL? If you set pl 10 voltage to say 85v do other pl settings remain where they were or is the voltage up on all pls

So with mine the 970 max on setting 12 is just a starting set point...

Can go up or down from there, I just didn't see a need to go higher but if I change my mind can easily go up.

I will solely be shooting the 25.39 pellet (.22) and can easily go over 1000 FPS if desired so don't take the 970 as a set in stone setting and hope I didn't confuse anyone to much with that!

It is interesting that folks see good accuracy at the higher speeds as at 950ish the shoot amazingly well for me but excited to try!!

Thanks all!

HeliBoard below stock GCU2.0 board (installed) for reference. The tricky part is the plug with red, pink, and black wires. You can see on stock board it is upper left. On HeliBoard it is lower left. And fits under those two black and white wires which must carefully be bent out of the way. Also be careful when removing the red jumper wire on the plug at the right. 

With RD Monsters and board at stock settings level 8 is about 975 to 980 FPS. Power level changes about 40 FPS per step up to level 9 which is about 1020 FPS. Further that that you’re getting near the guns porting and valving limits so level 10 is 1040, level 11 is 1055 and level 12 and s 1065. Anything past level 9 has a drastic reduction in efficiency. But it will shoot the JSB KO slugs on level 9 at about 990 FPS just about as accurately as the RD Monsters at 980 FPS. 

1596733521_5621698975f2c385166d4c7.95394590.jpeg

Also, Arzrover is correct about just changing voltage on a given PL. It only affects that specific PL and raises or lowers the curve for that power level. The stock settings for each PL are about as linear as you’re going to get. All set points (20) within a power level are interrelated. Changing one can have subtle affects to the one or two above and below it. I spent many hours and hundreds of pellets trying to better the stock settings, only to end up going back to them. You’ll get about a 12 to 14 FPS ES over a 60 shot string from 250b to 180b. That’s about the same as the stock GCU2.0 board. So don’t go thinking the HeliBoard is better in that manner. It’s the easy power adjustability that is the major benefit. 

HeliBoard below stock GCU2.0 board (installed) for reference. The tricky part is the plug with red, pink, and black wires. You can see on stock board it is upper left. On HeliBoard it is lower left. And fits under those two black and white wires which must carefully be bent out of the way. Also be careful when removing the red jumper wire on the plug at the right. 

With RD Monsters and board at stock settings level 8 is about 975 to 980 FPS. Power level changes about 40 FPS per step up to level 9 which is about 1020 FPS. Further that that you’re getting near the guns porting and valving limits so level 10 is 1040, level 11 is 1055 and level 12 and s 1065. Anything past level 9 has a drastic reduction in efficiency. But it will shoot the JSB KO slugs on level 9 at about 990 FPS just about as accurately as the RD Monsters at 980 FPS. 

1596733521_5621698975f2c385166d4c7.95394590.jpeg

Also, Arzrover is correct about just changing voltage on a given PL. It only affects that specific PL and raises or lowers the curve for that power level. The stock settings for each PL are about as linear as you’re going to get. All set points (20) within a power level are interrelated. Changing one can have subtle affects to the one or two above and below it. I spent many hours and hundreds of pellets trying to better the stock settings, only to end up going back to them. You’ll get about a 12 to 14 FPS ES over a 60 shot string from 250b to 180b. That’s about the same as the stock GCU2.0 board. So don’t go thinking the HeliBoard is better in that manner. It’s the easy power adjustability that is the major benefit.

Thanks for clearing the voltage/pl question up. I love that board. I don't think I would be upset if it were even a little lower on the power level (but thankfully it isn't) To me the 12 levels are an unbelievable upgrade alone.

Centercut describes everything quite well. 👍

Can't say I've noticed ANY interaction between pl's but won't discount the possibility.

The only thing I can think of on your statement of 970 on pl12 is that Jack MAY have programmed yours differently than he does for his typical Safari board.... based on your communication with him. It doesn't really matter as you can change them to what you want any time.

Really good shooting with your Red Wolf already ! Nice rifles!

Bob

So I was wrong on the 970 at power 12....The 970 is the roughly midway point...

I miss interpreted his e-mail....On power 12 I should be close to 1100 FPS give or take and can tune from there....

The board is on the way from Greece so when it arrives will start a thread on the install....Nervous about it but hopefully won't be to big of a pain!

Anyone share how long theirs took to arrive?