• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Redwolf .22 HP appx factory fps settings for 25.4 mrds?

Finally found some time to chrono my RW today. .22 JSB 25.4 redesigns are averaging at 1000 on high, 970 on mid, and 843 on low. I will be heading to the range Friday to see what it can do and try to get it reasonably dialed in for a XFT match on Saturday. I am hoping the mid power shooting the MRDs at 970 turns out to be a good tune for this RW at the 50 to 100 yard distances.
Aimright... what were your conclusions regarding the JSB 25.4 re-designs (.22 HP with GCU-2) at the Mid-power setting? Better accuracy than on High-power?

Aimright... what were your conclusions regarding the JSB 25.4 re-designs (.22 HP with GCU-2) at the Mid-power setting? Better accuracy than on High-power?
To be honest I have not had the time to do any detailed accuracy testing at high but I find it is shooting the MRDs pretty well at mid power at 970 fps, enough to place at a couple xft matches this year.

Reactions: Centercut
My "winning" Red wolf liked to shoot the MRD's right around 940 fps. In my experience regardless of the platform, the MRD's tend to stabilize at at much higher velocities than regular diabolo shaped pellets. 930 - 975 was the magic # for me.

1681141529232.png

Attached is a spreadsheet to help keep track of your changes

View attachment My Red Wolf.xlsx

No matter what speed you shoot the RD Monsters, the VAST MAJORITY of barrels will throw the occasional flyer, even AFTER detailed sorting. Best to switch to .25 Heavy as many of us have done.
I shot 2022 EBR Pro 100Y (3rd place) with a new .25 RW HP, wasn’t even really sure of the speed at Medium power level with JSB King Heavy. I thought it was about 955 to 960 fps but when I checked after EBR it was about 935 fps. No flyers for three relays! My older .22 would throw a flyer at least once per card even after sorting the RD Monsters.
PS., XFT doesn’t require the same amount of precision as 100Y BR.

Reactions: Stone02
A while back I noted a substantial drop in power when switching from the .177 Monster originals to the Redesigns. Turns out they have significantly higher bore friction due to the skirt geometry. At the same settings, they exhibited an FPE loss of over 15%...

I can’t help but wonder if the fliers are a result of leading getting stripped off and building up in the bore until it decides to hitch a ride with the next pellet.

( I realize this thread is about the .22 cal MRD but it has the same basic geometry as the .177 so I just wanted to mention this observation )

Last edited:
Aimright,
I don't know if this'll help you or not.......
Over the last few months I've been bitten by the bug to see what all the different pellets I have sitting around here at the house will do in the RW so I made up a simple Excel sheet to track 10 shot groups of each of "my" pellets through "my" gun. I didn't create it with the intention of getting it out there in front of everyone, I just wanted some general baseline info of average speed, etc. to see how things worked, patterened, etc. for my own info.

This is my rig:
  • Red Wolf .22 cal HP
  • Purchased new Nov. 2021 from AOA
  • Has had no tuning since I purchased it. As far as I know it's "straight outta' the box".
  • I don't know what version board is in it but it has the 11.1 volt battery if that helps.
  • This is NOT intended to suggest to everyone what YOUR gun will do. It's just what MY gun is doing at the particular date & time.
Here goes:

View attachment 325522
Scientific documentation !

Well done !

A while back I noted a substantial drop in power when switching from the .177 Monster originals to the Redesigns. Turns out they have significantly higher bore friction due to the skirt geometry. At the same settings, they exhibited an FPE loss of over 15%...

I can’t help but wonder if the fliers are a result of leading getting stripped off and building up in the bore until it decides to hitch a ride with the next pellet.
That’s one theory. Makes sense but only a theory, just like there are some substandard pellets per tin and require detailed sorting that identifies most but not all bad pellets. Both are credible theories, and EVERYONE that competes sorts these pellets in one way or another.

Reactions: Stone02
That’s one theory. Makes sense but only a theory, just like there are some substandard pellets per tin and require detailed sorting that identifies most but not all bad pellets. Both are credible theories, and EVERYONE that competes sorts these pellets in one way or another.
Indeed, just a theory. But a testable one. No one has successfully figured out how to inspect and cull bad pellets to 100% confidence, whereas a lead booger stuck to the bore is visible.

Indeed, just a theory. But a testable one. No one has successfully figured out how to inspect and cull bad pellets to 100% confidence, whereas a lead booger stuck to the bore is visible.
Yup, but no one has proven that either. 😞
I did discover a way. Sh!tcan .22 RD Monsters and switch to .25 Heavy. Also, think about it. If the “booger” theory is correct, wouldn’t that also happen with .22 Exact 18 grain, and .25 and .30 pellets? Hmmmm…,

Last edited: