Reducing the Motor RPM of Yong Heng Compressor for Longevity

Curious if the AC motor rpm can be reduced on the Yong Heng to make it quieter, run cooler, and most importantly increase the life of the compressor? I would be happy to sacrifice the fill time of my tank/airgun to get more life out of the compressor. Thoughts?

Would a controller like this be all I need to reduce the YH motor?

https://www.amazon.com/KB-Electronics-8811007-Variable-K177-1006/dp/B000F9FCQS/ref=sr_1_10?crid=27FCLR647V40S&dchild=1&keywords=ac+motor+speed+controller&qid=1589309507&sprefix=ac+motor+%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-10

CJ 

The motor drives the piston. The piston compresses the air, therefore, if the motor slows, the piston slows and it would take longer for the piston to pump the same amount of air meaning the motor would have to run longer with the same load  -- which is the force of the piston compressing the air.

It may wind up having more of a negative effect.

If my logic is incorrect, someone will be along to straighten me out.

The Amazon page information says this speed controller is not to be used with capacitor start or capacitor run motors, and I think the YH motor has capacitors. If so, then you can't use this controller, even if you could find one rated for 15 amps. I think Lou said it right. Just make sure you use good oil and good water cooling technique.

James

A Yong Heng runs an AC synchronous motor, meaning it's RPM is linked to the frequency of the alternating current coming out of your wall. You would need a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) as noted by the gentleman above, which is basically a box packed full of electronic witchcraft in order to let you control the frequency of the AC. These things tend to be expensive, used by industry, and are usually made for two phase or 3 phase power as a result. Basically there are almost no "toy" or consumer grade ones, and you'll probably pay more for a cheapo Chinese one than a new Rong Heng. 

That dimmer switch won't work. They work by limiting current essentially using PWM or pulse width modulation, which basically switches power on and off really really fast. This is made for lightbulbs or, on bigger more serious versions, brushed motors. The other problem is that it reduces motor RPM by cutting torque. So what you get is slow with a lot less power, and that is not what you would want on something like a compressor which has highly variable torque load. 

I hope that helps and makes sense. :)

I appreciate everyone's input and yes it all makes sense. I did open it up just to see what kind of electric motor they had in there and like some of you have stated it does have a capacitor for the electric motor so it confirms a VFD is needed. While I had the cover off I decided to secure the fan shroud more tightly to reduce the vibration noise and I added a pigtail so I can plug the water pump to the same power source as the Yong Heng to eliminate an additional cord to the wall outlet.

My initial thought with reducing the speed is possibly less heat(less wear and tear?) when filling my tank because I know after running 10-15 minutes the digital thermometer is reading 55C-60C degrees even while using a 4 gallon bucket with ice.I guess one could still use a v-belt and pulley setup to reduce the input rpm to the pump ,but that would make the YH package not so compact anymore. Anyways I love my little Yong Heng and its worked great for me so far ,but seems like I'm always repairing things around the house, haha, so I try to think of ideas on how to make things more efficient because these days time seems to be almost as important as money in my opinion.

Thanks,

CJ

1589386878_18972827165ebc1e7e78f8b2.48321933.jpeg

CJ, I would suggest a change to your filter set up. I would put the small Yong Heng cotton filter before the larger filter (assuming filled with desiccant). The cotton filter will help keep any oil blow by out of the desiccant and will catch a lot of the moisture before it gets to the larger filter. It would also be beneficial to orient the filters vertically above the Yong Heng's output.

Regarding replacing YH parts

I know they can be found on Ali.

Which of the vendor(s) there has the most comprehensive inventory of parts?

I am not located in US so I don't buy via Aliexpress. I remember vaguely that a member here has mentioned that Yong Heng has an offical shop on Aliexpress. Hope the guy will chime in to provide more info. 

Thanks, airgunfans

Yes, I'm aware of the YH Shop on Ali.

Last look their inventory was not very deep, but I'll look again.

If recollection serves well the shipping was high as well

If I recall properly, you are in Hong Kong

I imagine that parts are readily available locally.

Do any of your suppliers sell internationally?

Ed