N/A Reduced cocking effort on RWS 54 ?

I bought a used FWB600 lefty for $600 and i see them around at shows for about the same price , maybe your on Ebay ? or several other gun sales sites ?
I trust what motorhead says , so i am going on that information . I do not Think the 10 meter version is sold in USA , but i will try to buy one if i can, but have you disassembled those and measured the inturnals ? it is a 28MM piston and is it the same stroke length ?
By the way i paid $240 for my D54 at the Hickory show 2 years ago in very nice condition .
where is Cornelius ? state ? country ?
North Charlotte NC USA. At the end of this year, I sold two fwb 600 series that I didn’t need for $1,200 each. One went to MO, the other to CO.A buyer from Colorado wanted to buy another one for 1200.

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
Yes sir. Last year at the show in Hickory, I saw the Haenel MLG 550 for the first time in my life, I have been dreaming about it for a long time. One gentleman showed the Haenel collection, but did not sell anything.
OH the place for that kind of buy's was Toys that Shoot Show but it is no more . i see a few guns like that at the Midwest show in Columbus

Reactions: Ievgen721
I still don’t understand why this gentleman brought a collection of rifles to the show and didn’t want to sell any of them.
watch people drool ? OR more likely conversation with other like minded people . Where i live south central KY "you mean you shoot kids BB guns " is the only reply i get.

I'm only comparing recoilless rifles! Diana 54 rifles have 7.5J(UK and RUS), 16J (Euro version) or 26J (US and other) from factory, differ only in the mainspring! It is cheaper to buy a OEM spring for the rifle you are used to than to change the rifle.

If your 54 already has the EU short stroke piston assembly, then just a replcement spring of lighter weight might get your power down, however if you have the stock piston assembly from RWS, dropping to an extremely light weight soring to get power down to 500 fps will cause piston bounce and lengthen the shot cycle which both will negatively affect your accuracy. I can tell you from 40 years of spring gun servicing, that you won't like the way it shoots!! Your gun, feel free to to do as you please, your rifle, but dropping a magnum springer down to 500 fps with just a lighter weight spring will not give good results.

You write about something you have no idea. I have more than 30 German rifles, and sometimes 50. There are several Dian 54s, including one 7.5J for use in a 10m tunnel shooting range, it differs only in the spring! I have FWBs also. The FWB 600 series is not a spring-piston rifle, it costs $800-950 and is very difficult to get.

View attachment 424350

View attachment 424351
I have plenty of .177 rifles. An Anschutz 2002 & a 2001 ten meter guns. A FWB 300S U too. Nothing is remotely close to a starling rifle. The photo is of a 2002 SuperAir with an 8X Unertl.

2002 Anschutz-basement.png

What happens if you change the spring only in a factory-made "F" version 7.5J rifle to a spring from a 26J version rifle?
Then you might ve OK as these rifles have already have the short stroke piston from the factory. When you originally mentioned 54, we were assuming a regular RWS 54 with the king stroke piston designed for magnum power...

I'm now 76 yrs. old and it is time to reduce the cocking effort of my .22 RWS 54. This is my starling gun.

I have to be able to cock it while lying prone on the breezeway floor. Velocity is not necessary. Right now I'm getting 764 fps, but only need 500 or so. Heck even 400 fps is plenty for birds at 16 yds.

Who has a decent replacement spring?

And no, I don't want to cut coils, forge & grind new ends, etc.
As Motorhead mentioned, the limitation on reducing cocking effort on the D54 is the 105mm stroke which by design is geared for magnum power levels. Yes you can go slightly lower in spring rate and drop cocking effort a bit, but it doesn't take much to go too far and introduce a bounce in the shot cycle. I just tested a slightly lower power spring and while it did result in lower fpe, it didn't reduce the cocking effort by much. It also limited suitable pellets to 16gr or lower. Jump to 18gr and I could feel the bounce in the shot cycle.

Your best bet would be to go with a short stroke kit from Hector Medina, along with his modified cocking handle. He changes the fulcrum in the cocking handle and it makes a HUGE difference, but this is only available with the short stroke kit. I tested one a couple years ago and it was impressive. Hope this helps!

Steve

I installed a lower power spring I had into my .177 D54 Pro (custom Vortek spring). I knew it would be under 12ftlbs, but wasn't exactly sure what power the spring would produce (no real preload to speak of). My gun loves wadcutters at lower power. The gun shoots like a CO2 rifle or low power pcp. Cocking effort dropped, not a huge amount. Before it made 18ftlbs or so, now 8.5ftlbs. For my needs this is fine. No major issues, accuracy remains excellent. If there's piston bounce it doesn't effect my shooting. No rattling of internals either. Some spacing would up the power, but it shoots the said wadcutters so well I'm not messing with it. Are there better ways to reduce power/cocking effort? I'm sure there are. I'm simple, just change the spring and have a few spacers on hand just incase.

I'm now 76 yrs. old and it is time to reduce the cocking effort of my .22 RWS 54. This is my starling gun.

I have to be able to cock it while lying prone on the breezeway floor. Velocity is not necessary. Right now I'm getting 764 fps, but only need 500 or so. Heck even 400 fps is plenty for birds at 16 yds.

Who has a decent replacement spring?

And no, I don't want to cut coils, forge & grind new ends, etc.

I am and old man and my preferred ag is Mr. Mike Melick XS12 .177 with his magic . At 25 yards is very good .