Redfires & Crow magnums revisited

Since the Crow Magnums weigh 18.21 grains and the Redfires are 15.4 grains, shooting them both at 5 pumps means the RF pellets are going to be travelling faster than the CM pellets.

Since I have noticed from a limited sample, that the RF pellets might be more effective than the CM pellets at the same number of pumps. should I increase the pumps to 6 when shooting the Crow Magnum pellets to maybe enhance their performance compared to the Redfires?

OR am I worrying too much about nothing?

Theoretically you’re right but just because one pellet weights less than another doesn’t always make it faster. The diameter of the projectile, the bearing surface and the weight all need to be factored in. I am familiar with the Crow Magnums and have shot them a lot over the years. I am not familiar with the Redfire pellets. If you have a chronograph, check out the velocity and then make your decision. I wouldn’t think one pump will make much difference but who knows?

With all of that being said, you’re overthinking it! LOL! 

Use 5,6,7 or 8 pumps. Whatever is the most accurate for you and gives you the FPE that you feel you need. Growing up, I shot a Crosman 760 for years before getting my first Beeman for my 11th birthday. I shot every BB and pellet I could find out of that gun, probably tens of thousands of rounds! Heck, I even small pebbles if I ran out of BB’s and pellets. Don’t judge me, I was only a kid! I started with 5-6 pumps, then moved to 8, then 10 or even 11 pumps if I felt like I needed that extra little bit of power. Not a whole lot of difference though. Experimenting and shooting is part of the fun, just have at it! If you chrony the two pellets, I’d love to hear the velocity difference between the two. Have a great day!

Stoti

I wish I had a chronograph ... I have a chart from the internet that I use as a rough baseline for what my gun is doing, where a 392 is shooting 14.3 grain CPHP pellets at 568 fps with 5 pumps and at 602 fps with 6 pumps, 633 with 7 and 666 with 8.

I know that with airguns ballistics that a small change at the gun can make a big difference downrange, so I'm curious as to what a 38 - 40 fps increase would do for the Crow Magnum's terminal ballistics. But unfortunately, the chippers in my area have decided that it's time to hibernate and all my targets are going to be sleeping for the next few months safe in their burrows,