Red wolf

Standard cleaning technique with patches wetted with Balistol, followed by dry ones. Pull them through from breech to muzzle using PatchWorm or other similar soft patch puller. I use a soda straw with a diagonal cut end pushed into the muzzle to allow the PatchWorm to get past the baffles in the shroud and into the barrel.

As my .22 HP has a poly barrel, I rarely clean it. I guess that I would if I ever saw accuracy issues.

Removing the barrel is fine, but I generally do not with the Red Wolf, just don't see the need. I think the last time I had it off was to replace the breech seal. If I had a fouling problem that needed cleaning with rod and brush, I would remove the barrel and breech seal and clean from the breech. The lead dust that collects around the air stripper does no harm, although those who are fastidious about cleaning might prefer to clean it. And I think it is a sound policy to clean only when accuracy suggests it is needed. Being a former centerfire and rimfire BR shooter, I can appreciate those who have anxiety just thinking about a dirty barrel, but most air rifle barrels just don't need cleaning very often. 

We shoot the MRDs at 970 - 980 fps. The bores lead up within 250 rounds even though I've polished them well. I've been using Gunzilla as a pellet lube for a while. It helps push back the cleaning a bit. I take the barrel off the rifle to clean because it's MUCH easier to clean that way. I remove the oring so a tight patch can be used and not rip it. Takes about 5 patches with rod and jag with Gunzilla to go from leaded up to white patch. The zero is generally not affected much by pulling the barrel.

On the other hand, when I shoot JSBs at less than 900, they may not need cleaning for a long time. I will clean sometimes before an important event, but haven't really seen accuracy decline in 500 or more rounds. If it's important, I'll clean just to be sure.

Bob

I've never torn an O ring with a pull through patch, even some very snug ones. That said, in some rifles, such as an HW100, the breech opening is so small, it's almost impossible to get the patch button perfectly aligned with the chamber, and that is a real recipe for a damaged O ring. But I've never had that problem in the Red Wolf, or most other rifles.