Red Wolf Standard with G2 board

Frank, 

First thank you for confirming my finding over the past almost 2 years. You were spot on and eloquent in taking us down this road! Most of the tips and tricks I've used, came from the people that were mentioned in your articles or from folks that have written answers to my questions here on the forum.

One of these days soon we will get together - Thanks again Rob

Thanks Rob. I need to apologize. In that brief paragraph about you and your RW, I failed to acknowledge your impressive achievement of 2nd place in the Sportsman Class at EBR last year. About a year too late, but very good shooting sir. I'm hoping that when you get into FT, you decide to shoot in a different class than myself because that kind of performance at EBR means you're a damn good shot. (Kidding actually, whatever FT class you decide to shoot in, we'll be glad to have you at matches.)

Reactions: MysticalDragon
Yes, Rob is a very good marksman. IMHO, the most impressive thing about Rob's EBR performance was that in an era of shooting literally hundreds of sighters to get 25 record shots, Rob shot only 3 or 4 TOTAL for the entire card. Now that is impressive!!! (I think I shot about 35 or so). And shows that wind reading can be and is an important attribute, even at 100 yards contrary to some big names stating otherwise... 

Mike

Frank,

What are your thoughts on the sound levels of the rifle? I noticed you used a tatsu which is a short mod. Was that adequate to dampen the bark to “backyard friendly” or “mouse fart” levels?

Most people seem to have the longer 6+” mods so I don’t have much feedback on how the shorter ones perform.

Cant speak for the set up Frank was using. But for a .177 normal power Red Wolf with G1 board, I've used my Tanto, Tatsu and Sumo. The Tanto is very quiet, very very close to the Sumo, that is a wee bit more quiet. Just got the Tatsu and I think for my setup (and I shoot mainly at medium power), it is as quiet as the sumo.

In all cases, if I shoot the RW in the air, with my head as far away as my arms will allow, it does not sound like it could possible be an airgun. However, I I use the scope and shoot in my fenced in patio at a target (cardboard box with rubber mulch or duct seal) I can hear the pop. Not sure what the neighbors are hearing but occationally I hear them closing their windows after I start shooting.

Sound levels are very subjective, both to the shooter, and to the neighbors that we're trying not to disturb. 

Individual trigger pullers, as well as neighbors, are more accepting of noise levels than others. 

My background is mostly 20fpe guns in .177 with long barrels and moderators.... QUIET. With that context, I found the RW with a Tatsu to be neighbor-friendly. But those are my neighbors, not yours. With a longer and more effective moderator (Hogan Decimeater) I found it to be VERY neighbor-friendly. With either, at 42ish fpe, the bigger concern is the sound of the pellet/slug hitting the trap.