Red Wolf Standard with G2 board

Thanks Frank, but competition is competition. I shoot in a monthly 25M BR match at LDs place (Temecula Airgun Club) and routinely get my ass kicked by the other members. In almost three years attending, every month, I've never won, and only have come in second once (if you don't break 735, you have no chance of even coming in the top three). But its fun, and I like shooting. I'd love to compete in FT or NRL-22, but there's really nothing within a three hour drive each way from San Diego...

You oughta come shoot FT with us at Mormon Lake this summer. 10 or 12 of us usually show up a day or two early and camp out-trailers, tents, backs of trucks, some get hotel rooms 20 min away in Flagstaff and come back and forth. Official match is usually on Sat morning but there's all kinds of official and unofficial airgun shooting going on for the 2-3 days leading up to that. Last summer one guy brought out silhouette targets and created a fun little side comp for Fri evening: 20fpe limit, ram, turkey, pig, chicken, chicken at 40, 50, 60, and 70 yards I think, timed. Lots of fun. 

It's almost FT season for me again Franklink, because I take a break from FT in the winter up here in the high country, so I'm starting to get excited about shooting it again. Also the camping, camaraderie, and almost constant plinking we do with any airgun we can get a trigger finger in! 😁

Yep I'm looking forward to seeing how well you do with this 22cal RW in FT.

Mike, get LD and some other friends and come hang out with us for at least 2 days, 3 is better, and bring most of your AG's. You guys will have great fun!

Do not want to divert your topic, but had to post these taken from my .177hp RW! Shot quickly before work (my only chance for a few days) shot @ 54yd in 6-11mph winds AWESOME GUN! Never ceases to amaze!
1588867307_17738696175eb430eb5e4731.31604991.jpeg
1588867308_2361062325eb430ecea8978.84590868.jpeg
1588867309_7820452365eb430ed801722.75635585.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: MysticalDragon
Thank you CC,Not hole in hole! But I’m very pleased considering conditions (and not having my comp. flags in place) yes the 16’s are even better in those conditions but I wanted to see how the light weight pellets would do? the 10.3’s I thought did extreme well! One flyer... Never shot in unlimited class! but might now... also I talked to bob before I ordered this gun and he made a reference to his wife winning 50yd at EBR, not a easy feat especially with a .177!

Thanks guys!, I’m honestly astounded by this gun! My .22 is impressive, but this .177 is even more so, I haven’t touched it yet, I considered bedding both guns as bob did to CC’s but I’m afraid to touch this.177! I’m not trying to highjack this thread but want to back up Franklink’s review and findings

Joe

• Love
Joe, I skimmed back through and noticed the horizontal wind flags in your pic!!! I had read the 6-11mph winds but that visual of those flags, man those things are straight out......yeah, impressive shooting. I'm fairly confident that I am the accuracy limiting factor with this one that I'm playing with, and that's a cool situation to be in. It seems the combo of your .177 HP with you at the wheel, equates to scary-good accuracy. 

As far as highjacking, nope. You're on point with the general topic here, which is simply real-world results and performance of the Red Wolf rifles. 

• Love
JSB Exact Jumbo Monsters, Redesigned vs Original (in this RW Standard of course)

It seems that the general consensus among the long range/high power pellet shooters, is that the Redesigned Jumbo Monsters shoot better than the Original profile of the same pellet. About a week ago I was doing a little bit of an inventory assessment and found a tin of the Originals. I'd purchased that tin sometime in the last couple years, mostly to see if they were as bad as everybody seems to think they are. At the time I didn't have a .22 that would put out much more fpe than low 30s. A 25.39gr pellet is moving pretty slow at that fpe, but I tested them a bit anyway. The conclusion at the time, from that gun and speed, was that they would stay within about 2 inches out to 50-55 yards, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn out to the 115 yards that I also tested them at.

Fast forward to last week when I found the tin of Originals....

Hmmmm......I've got Redesigns, and the Originals, and a gun that'll do 45-47fpe (still a little suboptimal speeds for this pellet, but better than 32fpe)......yeah, let's do this!

First off, here is the profile of the Originals, stolen from a stock pic online somewhere.

1588974831_4819887895eb5d4efaedb09.54844460.jpg

Not a bad looking pellet, in fact, for an FT shooter like myself, who has had really good results from the .177 JSB 10.34 with the same straight-walled mid section design, by looks, they SHOULD be a really accurate/wind-resistant/etc pellet. Almost slug-like in appearance. 

Here's the shape of the Redesigns.

1588974990_5713941395eb5d58e239834.96610644.jpg

The waist and general profile of the Redesigns makes me think that a .177 JSB 8.44 or .22 JSB 18.1 (TIGHT little WASP-waisted pellets) and the Originals had a baby. My experience with those tighter waist pellet designs is that they can't handle as much speed as the straight-walled ones. at least in .177. The Redesign is somewhere in the middle, by design, but all reports are that it can handle (and actually excels) at really hot speeds, like up in the high 900s. 

Both Redesigns and Original tins are labeled as weighing 25.39grains. 

Here are the results from the RW. 

1588975488_19822945315eb5d7805691d5.69640883.jpg

4, ten shot groups from each pellet at 60 yards. Using my actual dime-sized dime copy machine target. Redesign groups on the left, Original groups on the right. I alternated ten shot groups with each rifle to even-out any variance in wind conditions. 7-16mph left to right winds during the shooting, per closest NWS station reports. 

That second from top Redesign group on the left was me, the group got away from me a bit, as I could tell I was pulling shots and having bad trigger breaks during that group. Didn't put any calipers on the groups but I felt a lot better about how the Redesigns were behaving. The Originals had some impact points away from where the crosshairs were when the trigger broke, and they weren't pulled shots or anything I was doing. Simply put, the Originals did not shoot as accurately for me, out of this particular RW, as the Redesigns did. The best Original groups is pretty similar in size to the worst Redesign group. 

I didn't see the need to take these out any further, with them opening up like that at 60 yards, I can only see it getting worse as distance increases. 

It is fun and informative to somewhat scientifically answer questions like these, but after this little bit of testing, I'll also be sticking with the Redesigns out of this RW on High.

• Love
Did some pesting today with a buddy that's got some sort of in with Predator International. 

Buddy left this with me

1589086351_9281620925eb7888f425ae9.65421031.jpg

Mid forties for fpe is likely a little slow, but I'm going to test them out in the RW anyway. (This whole review started with the concept of the one gun wonder, so we're gonna see what they'll do). 

That's a mighty high BC listed there on the bottom left. 

Accuracy report and calculated BC from RW to follow.....

Random Observations

I've been keeping a notepad near me when shooting the RW in order to record thoughts, opinions, and any measurements that are being taken (fps, group sizes, distances, wind conditions etc). I've filled one up, mostly with the BSA that was being reviewed before this one, but the last third or so worth of pages is Red Wolf notes. So, before I roll over into a new notepad, I skimmed through the RW pages and found some stuff that I haven't shared yet.

#1 - I have yet to have a "LOW PRESSURE" warning come up on anything but the HIGH power level. I'm not sure if the programming calls for such a warning on other power levels, but I've not seen it if it does. (as previously noted, the message comes on around 191Bar for the HIGH power level). If it pops up at some point in my shooting for the other power levels, I'll note where and come back to share it.

#2- Cocking effort. If you've never shot a RW or Pulsar or any of the previous models of Daystate electronic guns, you have not experienced how weird it is to not feel a hammer spring compressing during cocking.

Bolt (straight-pull) guns REALLY produce that tactile effect of compressing the hammer spring-you KNOW that you just cocked the gun. Then there's the non-electronic side cockers (side lever guns). Compared to a straight-pull gun, there's usually a reduced hammer compression feeling experience due to the mechanical advantage of the angles employed with side-cocking guns, but you still know that you cocked the gun. But with a Red Wolf, wow, absolutely ZERO cocking effort! It's because there is no hammer/striker spring being compressed by the action of "cocking" the gun or working the bolt/lever or whatever you would like to refer to it as. It is really a quite pleasant experience, and it's all in the electronics.

I really noticed this a couple days ago, when I got out one of my personal guns to shoot it a bit. It is a side-lever gun, with a pretty thin wire hammer spring. That personal gun is most definitely an easy-cocking gun, compared to many. Upon loading the first pellet in my gun, I was hit with an instant thought of WHOA! that's sure not as smooth and silky as cocking the Red Wolf that I've been shooting so much. The opposite happened when I got out the RW after shooting the non-electronic, fully mechanical personal gun. On that first loaded pellet in the RW I was afraid I was gonna break the side-lever cuz I just cocked it by instinct and used much more force than necessary. If it wasn't apparent in my above ramblings, the smooth, effortless working of the RW sidelever for loading of pellets and readying the gun is a very pleasant experience.

(I learned how to drive with an old farm truck, Chevy with a 454 engine, manual transmission and converted to a flat bed. It had a busted suspension spring on the front driver-side wheel and pulled really bad to one direction. Only one of the disc brakes worked so it dove for the ditch when the brakes where pushed. No parking break and wouldn't idle without dying. Had a long handled axe for holding down the gas pedal to get out and get gates, and we kept a rock on the back of the truck to throw under the tire to keep it from rolling away, again while opening a gate. It also hadn't been registered or had active tags on it for 4 or 5 years before I started driving it. In short, it was a rough ride. My dad turned me loose with that old truck after 2 teaching sessions. Dirt county roads and anything within the fences of the ranch was allowed, but no pavement. I drove it many, many miles in those couple of years before I turned 16, got a license and became street-legal. Well, I still remember the impression that first drive with an automatic transmission in one of our nicer vehicles left on me, after driving the death trap for 4 or 5 years. Not that a manual transmission or non-electronic airguns are bad things or dangerous, but REFINED is the first word that comes to mind, when comparing an automatic to a manual, or a hammer spring gun to a RW, at least in relation to the act of cocking). 

#3-Voltages. ArzRover tells me that all of the RWs with the first gen boards (that he's been in) had a factory voltage setting of 69.55 (935 bits). This Standard RW that I'm reviewing has a factory voltage of 63.26 for all 3 power levels. So, not only does the 2nd gen board put out more fpe than the 1st gen, but it does it with lower voltages. I've been told that the Safari and HP versions of the RW are running with higher volts. I'd hazard a guess that that is how this more powerful board is going into both the Standard and the Safari/HP guns. Higher voltages for the higher power output models but same board. The Safari and HP models also have longer barrels than the Standard, so it all makes sense that the pellet gets more air behind it with the higher power models, they've got the barrel length to handle it, whereas the shorter barreled Standard would get to the point of wasted air. There's been talk of non-Daystate, aftermarket boards in various places on the forums and that they it have even higher voltages. Various comments seem to suggest that you can get to a point where running at higher than intended voltages MIGHT cause adverse effects on the internals of the gun. Hardened hammers are one of the items discussed as necessary (I have no idea which guns do or don't already have this feature but common sense would suggest that the Safari and HP model come that way, to handle their higher voltages and fpe output). Just like anything else, pushing something past its design and intended use can cause premature wear. My opinion here is that there should not be any detrimental effects on a gun that is being run with factory specified voltages, within it's original designation as a Standard/HP/Safari. But, go to cranking them up past where they were designed to be, and the possibility of tearing something up is there. 

Future installments

• short report on barrel (might still push some pellets through the barrel and take a look at them up close)
  • short report on stock 
  • continued reporting on pellet selection and optimal tune for a field target combination 
  • full chronograph shot strings on High and Medium (Have shot and reported on full strings for HIGH and Medium/FT but I'll still do one for the LOW power level (31fpe)
  • long range groups (100 yards or so) at 31fpe with JSB 18.1 and 45fpe with JSB 25.39 (and maybe some slugs in the 20gr weight range)
  • test out some of my cast pellets-they're in the 19.6 weight range and look a lot like a JSB 18.1, just with a small meplat (NOE mold)
  • try to do some hunting with it (if I have it long enough for season to open-pdogs, and if not, there's a species of ground squirrel pretty local to me called Golden Mantle-they make a mighty fun airgun quarry, also have the occasional rock squirrel and starlings/euro doves, some scope cam footage of any of that would be cool)
  • monthly FT match performance report
  • one gun magic
  • whatever else comes up along the way
    • measured BCs from the preferred pellet at each of my power levels
      • 14.35s at 19.5fpe
      • 18.13s at 30-31fpe
      • 25.39s at 42fpe
    • measure BCs from the JSB Knock Out slugs
    • battery/charger adventure (I might have a faulty charger)
    • might be related to the battery/charger, but I'd like to figure out where those extra couple of fpe went on the HIGH power level
    • challenges with and learning how to shoot airguns at higher fpe, specifically the Red Wolf

Anxiously awaiting your further testing and and final opinions etc. I have a 1st Gen. RWhp in .22 and now have a newer Second Gen. RWhp in .177, so very interested in differences between generations and also differences between calibers in the newer vs. older models? My main interest is if my 2nd Gen. .177hp has all the upgraded features such as the hardened striker, capacitors etc.?it does have the larger battery and the thicker “not so dainty leads!” Thank you Daystate...

The battery is 7,4v or 11,1v, the safari and new red wolf, are 11,1v

Yes sir, as I understand it, you are 100% correct.

The voltage I was referring to is the overarching voltage parameter in the programming of the guns. Circled here in a picture of one of the screens accessed through the programmer:

1589212008_12190368635eb97368340398.90290594.jpg

(63.11 are the volts for my FT tune power level)

I don't know enough about electronics to know/understand how that 11.1v rated battery outputs the 63.26 (Standard with G2 board) or the 69.55 (G1 board guns), or the even higher volts that I understand happen with the programming for the Safari and HP versions.

Mike, yeah I was really excited when my buddy handed them to me, for the same reason you mentioned. He explained that his Predator International contact wasn't aware that the only .22 he owns is a low powered pistol. He has a .177 RW that is far from OEM now, but he uses that thing @20fpe for FT and all the way up to 40 fpe for critter getting-the ultimate one-gun challenge. He actually (jokingly) refers to that gun as "Vern the Versatile." Anyway, since he couldn't use them, he passed them on to me for Red Wolf testing. 

Your fpe output with Bleu is likely much more appropriate for these JSB slugs than the Standard will be. Either way though, I'm highly anticipating seeing how they shoot from the Standard.

• Love
JSB Knock Out Slugs (KO)

I had about 40 minutes to do a little shooting tonight after dinner. 

This tin I have is packaged like this.

1589255735_2307965095eba1e37a5a794.78637870.jpg

Some close-ups of the pellets. NSA 23gr on left and KOs on the right.

1589255764_19557302405eba1e54045bd6.66528421.jpg

1589255774_7003834855eba1e5edb4613.92394895.jpg

1589255790_2103915925eba1e6e142be0.58923368.jpg

The KOs have a thin little skirt (dished base), and yes, it is dented up a bit. Most of the pellets in this tin look like this. The hollow point of the KO seems to be an angled hole versus flat bottomed like the NSA. The KO hollow point also appears a little cleaner than the NSA.

Took 26 shots with the KOs, from 233-202bar, High power. Low of 757.7 and high of 781.4 (ES of 23.7) for an average fps of 762.64 (32.84fpe).

Took 20 shots with NSA 23grain, from 235-208bar, High power. Low of 807.7 and high of 825.3 (ES of 17.6) for an average fps of 813.67 (33.82fpe).

53 yards with a 10mph right to left wind, from 6:50-7:30pm (was running out of light real quick). 3 five shot groups from each gun (after poi verification).

Top orange stickers were in a different pellet trap, also at 53 yards, and were taken to figure out impact points, so there was some scope clicking happening during those shots. 

KOs on the right, NSA on the left.

(No great show of accuracy here.)

1589256051_21219982585eba1f733206b8.91632758.jpg

The KOs are very tight to chamber, of all the projectiles I have so far fed this gun, these take the cake for tightest, and not by a little. Some of the KOs seemed tighter and looser than others, the fps spread was greater with them as well. 

The NSAs were much easier to chamber and seemed to do so with a more consistent feel. Best group was from the NSA, but the worst group was also from the NSA.

Thoughts

First off, not enough shots to really be conclusive, ran out of daylight. Just posting because I share the entire process. I'll need to revisit this for a greater sample size. The KOs seem to be bigger diameter than these particular NSAs, even though both manufacturers list these slugs as 0.217. I feel like that tightness is likely causing a loss of fps/fpe. I felt like the KOs were a little wild until about the 15th shot, and then they started going where I wanted them too, kinda like the barrel had to "season" to them.

This RW has a traditional 12 land/groove LW barrel, and is also choked, and is also probably shooting this weight class of slugs quite a bit slower than they really need to be pushed. A couple of those barrel and gun traits go against what has kind of become the consensus about what is best for slugs (whether consensus is correct is yet to be seen I suppose). I would assume the Red Wolf Standard wasn't really intended to be a slug gun, but it's fun doing testing with it. 

I went back through my notes and found some groups shot with the NSAs that were much better than these shot tonight, so I'm not giving up on slugs yet (NSA or the KOs). I'll report further testing whenever it happens. 

The NSAs are doing about 34fpe, whereas they were doing 38.5 when I recorded the baseline fps for each power level with various pellets. The JSB 25.39 also lost a couple fpe on High since recording the baseline chrono #s. There has been a little, and still needs to be more, troubleshooting for where those couple of fpe went. It was suggested that I maybe had a faulty battery, (and now I think a charger) and that less-than-full battery charges were the culprit. That is still being investigated, but I'm starting to wonder if bringing down the Medium power level to 20fpe might have also influenced the High power level. The only way to rule that out would be to go back to the factory settings for Medium, and see if those 3 or 4 lost fpe come back. I just might do that cuz I'm dying to know. I'll go into greater detail with all that in a future report as well.

• Love
Chasing ghosts

A little recap....

Factory (my initial, prior to any programming baseline fps gathering) fpe:

HIGH with JSB 25.39 = 44.48fpe

MEDIUM with JSB 18.1 = 38.04fpe 

LOW with JSB 18.1 = 31.68fpe. 

After all the programming:

HIGH with JSB 25.39 = 42fpe.

MEDIUM/FT with JSB 14.35 = 19.99fpe.

LOW with JSB 18.1 = 29.8fpe.

Through all the programming, the only power level that I have messed with is MEDIUM. But you'll also notice that I lost about 2.5fpe on HIGH, and about 2fpe on Low. I've commented here and there that I'm curious where those extra couple of FPE went. So this installment is essentially the hunt for those fpe, not because I'm power hungry, but mostly just curious (although a little more horsepower is never a bad thing when shooting the Redesigns or slugs). 

Battery?

The first place my ART buddy suggested to look was the battery. He asked me a few questions and my responses made him suspect that I had a faulty battery. That was mostly because the third light on the charger wouldn't turn blue. Like this:

1589444314_7472668205ebcfeda2700e5.93466553.jpg

He explained that these batteries are 3 cells. Each cell is represented by one of the lights on the charger. Four wires on the batteries mean that one is the negative, and each of the other wires correspond to one of the cells. So, no third blue light = suspected bad cell. He also taught me that a volt meter could be used to check the battery health by holding the probes on each of the terminals of the wiring harness. The outermost terminal should be over 11.1volts, and each of the other terms (cells) should be about 4 volts different. (ie. something like 11.5, 7.5, 3.5). 

I didn't own a volt meter, so quick stop for a cheapy volt meter on the way home from work last week to nab one. 

In the mean time, as soon as ART buddy told me he thought I had a bad battery I had shot my AOA contact a text asking if they could get another one headed my way. Boom, within a few hrs I got an email from AOA with a tracking #. 

On Sat me and a field target friend did some pesting. He had brought up his RW charger so we hooked it up to the original battery that came with the review RW while we went shooting. When we came back all three lights were blue. This was the battery that I couldn't get all three to turn blue on with the charger that came with the gun. 

At this point I also did the volt meter trick on both batteries and they both looked fine. One was about like the example I had given a few sentences ago, and the other was about 12.5, 8.5, 4.5. So, it seems the batteries were/are fine. Hmmmmm....

(A few notes on the batteries/power source for the RW, and what I learned about them in the researching of the missing fpe.

They are an extremely common item in the remote control cars/planes/etc world. These same, and very similar batteries, can be purchased from Amazon as well as just about any RC hobby shop, online or brick and mortar. It's nice that Daystate chose to go this route vs coming up with a Daystate branded battery/charger system. Because they decided to use non-proprietary batteries/chargers, replacements and/or extras can be sourced quite readily, and for a very reasonable price. Sometimes it makes sense to use existing supply chains and technology vs reinventing the wheel. Good call Daystate.

The batteries should not be depleted too far or they'll be goners, so I'm told. If that highest cell goes below around 7.5 volts, that battery is likely toast. The shot counter in the programming said this gun had been shot 2200 times before I got it. I doubt it had been charged in those first 2200 shots, so they'll go that far. I'm hearing that a charge is supposed to be good for a couple thousand shots on HIGH. I'm kinda thinking that a good rule of thumb might be to recharge around every 1500-2000 shots.)

Charger?

Next thought is that the charger that came with the gun is a dud. So I ordered the "Amazon's Choice" LiPo charger some time last week. It was $14 and got here today. What lead us to think the charger was faulty was that I had left the batteries charging for about 2hrs, 2 different times. I was being told that they usually only take about an hour to get a full charge. 

Sometime in the last few days I decided to leave the charger that came with the gun hooked up to a battery for a while and see if it would eventually turn blue. Yep, took over 4hrs, but would eventually turn all three lights blue. So, the charger that came with the gun is slower than most, but will still charge them, eventually.

Full charge:

1589447257_19578828345ebd0a593a2e05.88473289.jpg

At this point, it doesn't appear to be the battery or the charger. 

Programming?

There seems to be some debate about whether or not the power levels are completely independent from one another. From what I knew prior to today, I personally had gotten the impression that they were independent from one another (at least from my programming sessions). The kicker was that I'd already ruled out the battery, and the charger, I was running out of ghosts to blame for where those couple fpe went. So, I was starting to think maybe my reduction of power output on MEDIUM had influenced the other power levels. 

Something else?

ART buddy texted me yesterday to tell me that he and AOA have been discussing/troubleshooting where those fpe went on this particular gun. The AOA contact was thinking maybe the PEEK valve seat, while ART buddy suspected the little oring that constitutes the valve stem seal. There was also a thought that a bent valve stem could have kinda wallowed out the valve seat, leading to abnormal wear on the valve body and valve seat, and eventually dropping fps/fpe and inconsistency. All of these are quite rare but have happened on a couple of guns. So, ART buddy asks if we could meet up today at their weekly testing/shooting/having fun session at a third mutual friends place so that ART buddy could take down the RW and investigate. Heck yeah, I'll be there was my response. It went according to plan and he had it torn down in short order. Nothing was obviously amiss but he replaced the valve stem seal. Hard to tell in this pic but they're very tiny. We got it in the sunlight and used magnifier and couldn't find that the old one was split or damaged. This is the one that came out of the gun:

1589447032_21364558405ebd0978ebd412.60962146.jpg

The replacement was a "cast polyurethane" oring. Not a necessary upgrade, but worthwhile to do if you're already that deep into tearing the gun down. I wouldn't recommend opening it up just to go to this type of oring because it's a pretty in-depth disassembly and requires the gun to be completely taken apart.

He got it put back together and went to his truck for the Labradar........................uh, no Labradar in the truck. "Did you bring a chrony?" "Nope." "Hey John, you got a chrony?" "Nope." Ha ha oh well. I just had to wait til I got home to check the fps. But I didn't pass up the opportunity to hang out for the day and shoot a bunch!

Back home at the classic ole red Chrony

I got home and got unloaded and did the whole bed-time routine. Youngest filled his diaper right before bedtime. My wife is a stay at home mom and honestly works harder than I do. We're fortunate to be able to make ends meet with just my income. The ongoing joke about diapers is that I deal with metaphorical crap at work and she deals with the real stuff at home. After getting to go hang out and shoot all day, I somewhat begrudgingly decided I needed to take this turn on the dirty dipe. So, got that all taken care of and kids asleep and I headed out to the garage, just dying to know if that valve stem seal replacement seal did anything.

5 shot averages....

HIGH with 25.39s = 41.48fpe

MEDIUM/FT with 14.35s = 19.95fpe

LOW with 18.1s = 29.81fpe

Hmmm.....EXACTLY where it was prior to the tear-down and valve stem seal replacement. I scratch my head for a minute (it's 30min after midnight at this point). Dammit, I'm finding out of it's the programming changes I made, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!

Took the action out of the stock, hooked up the programmer, and reverted the MEDIUM back to OEM settings. Skimmed through all the screens for to verify that I'm back at OEM programming settings, yep. 

5 shot averages again....

HIGH with 25.39s = 42.07fpe

MEDIUM with 18.1s = 35.66fpe 

LOW with 18.1s = 28.85fpe (one pellet chambered real loose and was about 20fps less than the others and lowered the average)

Okay, it's not the programming I did. The power levels for HIGH and LOW are the same, whether MEDIUM is programmed for 20fpe or for the OEM 38fpe. 

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Decided to put MEDIUM back to my 20fpe parameters and chronograph again

still 5 shot averages

HIGH with 25.39s = 42.34fpe

MEDIUM/FT with 14.35s = 19.96fpe

LOW with 18.1s = 29.01fpe

Well, it's dang sure consistent if nothing else. 

Take-aways from all that fun

The power levels in the Daystate Red Wolf are 100% independent of one another. Having "MEDIUM" at a lower power than "LOW" will not adversely affect HIGH and/or LOW. The programming parameters are extremely and repeatedly consistent. The 5 shot average for MEDIUM before I messed with the programming tonight was 791.08. Then I went back to factory and shot some, and then went back to FT settings on MEDIUM and 5 shot average was 791.42. Pretty reliable that those parameters are going to produce that fps/fpe. 

Every gun is a unique individual, and this particular one lost 2ish fpe. I do not know exactly why, but I'm kinda thinking it just broke in.

Also, just in the last few days, the official Daystate Facebook page had a post saying the new GCU2.0 board increases the fpe 20%. Well, the Standard config with the GCU1.0 was advertised as 35fpe on HIGH. 20% of 35fpe would put us right at the 42fpe that I'm now seeing. So, for whatever reason, it was shooting a little hotter than expected for those first 2500 or so shots, but has now calmed down to be right in line with what Daystate says is to be expected with the GCU2.0. 

I had the Donny Tatsu on it today, and for a overall length of just a smidge over 42 inches, it's a nice little rifle. 

I also felt pretty cool making the bell target go "DING" at 100 yards (two kzs, one was about 2.5inches and the other maybe a bit bigger than an inch. Larger one was obviously easier, but I stuck a few through that 1" kill zone too, and the wind was WHISTLING-36mph gusts were predicted, and they sure felt it).

ART buddy passed on some lighter NSA slugs to me that were supplied to him by AOA, there's some 17.5?s and 20.2?s that were showing some SERIOUS promise on HIGH power. This weight is probably more appropriate for the power level of the Standard. So, reports on those will be forthcoming. 

So, conclusion, a SWEET 42.25inch rifle doing 42fpe. Maybe I'll call this bad boy the "42/42."

(I was pleasantly surprised to hear that AOA was parallel troubleshooting my lost fpe, consulting with their RW expert and ART tester. It's cool to know that they're concerned about how their rifles are performing for the end-user. I kinda know a couple of the employees and even the manager and owner of AOA, mostly through my Field Target activity. (They'll occasionally shoot a match.) One thing about them, that I'm not sure a lot of us airheads realize, is that they are shooters themselves. AOA actually exists because of the owner's personal love for airguns. It'd be naive to not realize that AOA is a business and makes money, but the driving force behind that is a love for airguns. I've seen a handful of different people from AOA get giddy and giggle just like the rest of us when they see a really cool airgun, see somebody make an excellent shot, or do so themselves. They're in it for the same reason we all are, the sheer enjoyment and challenge of seeing and chasing extreme accuracy and reaching for the next level of what airguns are capable of.)

• Love