Red Wolf Standard with G2 board

Hey Steve. 

I can say agree on the pellet lots. Yesterday evening I was trying 18.1s on low. Two inch groups at 53 yards, swapped tins to a different lot# and boom, same hole-put five into the tightest group the guns done yet, less than 3/16inch I'd guess. 

What would you attribute that to? Size, weight, or a combination of the two.

Hey Steve. 

I can say agree on the pellet lots. Yesterday evening I was trying 18.1s on low. Two inch groups at 53 yards, swapped tins to a different lot# and boom, same hole-put five into the tightest group the guns done yet, less than 3/16inch I'd guess. 

What would you attribute that to? Size, weight, or a combination of the two.

Bob, I honestly have no idea, but your idea of a combination of difference in size/weights is as good of a guess as any that I've got.

I've seen this a couple times though. Some people immediately jump to the conclusion that the poorer performing pellets are junk and they got ripped off and the supplier was trying to screw them over by sending them sub-par pellets, and on and on. An interesting detail here is that the poorer performing 18.1 tin actually does just fine in my Veteran. I know that because I usually like to try to finish off an open tin of pellets before starting a new one. So, I got a tin of the 18.1s from AOA to test in the RW, but knew I'd end up shooting more than one tin, so I had initially started with my current open tin (that had been shot from the Veteran and doing really good at 53-54 yards about two weeks ago). With the accuracy reports of the 18.1s in this gun from my ART friend, it just wasn't adding up. At that point I decided to crack open the new tin (that came with the gun) and was immediately rewarded with pellets dropping into the same hole.

So, just cuz a barrel doesn't like a certain batch or tin of pellets doesn't mean that batch is junk or that a different gun won't shoot them exceptionally. My two cents worth anyway.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
My red wolf is the same. Some batches of JSB 18.1gr shoot terribly. Like 4-5cm at 50m. Then others shoot supernaturally well. The best I've had are the Air Arms 18gr. I suspect probably because the rebranded JSBs probably get made in smaller batches on fewer machines? They're definitely more uniform in size, weight, skirt thickness etc. 

Mines the standard power with a first gen board. Got a heliboard sitting in the cupboard for the day I need more than 35fpe. Just too good to mess with for the time being.

A day or two ago I promised some better groups, I had already shot them at the time, but hadn't yet had an opportunity to do a write-up.

These were shot with factory configuration, all groups from Low setting here.

Black circle targets are 1 inch.

10 shot groups with 15.89:

This is 12 groups, 10 shots each. Lasered 53 yards, using 15.89 JSB. 120 consecutive shots. Pressure from 251 bar to 166 bar (I've been in the programming a bit now, and if I'm reading it correctly, 122.6 bar is the low pressure setting for Low. I think that means it could be shot down to that point-so it should be good for more than 120, 31ish fpe shots on low). I initially tried to measure with a ruler but decided to get out the calipers, so you'll see my ruler-sized group sizes crossed out and replaced with the caliper sizing. I also averaged all 12 groups (math at the bottom of the page).

Average 10 shot group size was 0.837 inches for 1.51MOA.

This was all in 15mph winds, per nearest weather station, right to left. 

1587966165_15166935565ea670d5f246a6.94788358.jpg

5 shot groups with 15.89:

Exact same scenario as above, but with 5 shot groups, and a little less wind. 

Average 5 shot group size = 0.594inches for 1.07moa. 

1587966703_2199297235ea672ef994e18.25723509.jpg

Imagine that, the 5 shot groups are smaller than the 10 shot ones. 

5 shot groups with 18.1

This is only 7 groups. I got on the phone with my ART buddy right after the 7th group for a little programming lesson and that ended the shooting for the evening. 

1587967631_8303677615ea6768fedbf68.87545072.jpg

Close ups of the top left and bottom left with 3 JSB 18.1s sitting in the group. These are the best two groups the gun has shot yet, at least in my hands.

1587968076_8914024565ea6784c1544a8.96490078.jpg
1587968076_3982247725ea6784c4626d8.13641145.jpg

Thoughts (ramblings?)

Wow, just freaking wow. Some of the best groups of my life right here.

This gun put 10, 15.89gr pellets into 1/2 inch, at 53 yards, in 15mph winds and averaged 10 shot groups under an inch with the 15.89s at that same distance.

Also with 15.89s, it put 5 into a 0.349 size group and averaged 0.594inch 5 shot groups. 

With the 18.1s, it printed a 5 shot group under 0.3 inches! It AVERAGED 0.8moa in this scenario of 5 shot groups at 53 yards.

This is all further impressive to me because these are 120, 60, and 35 consecutive shots (on each of the three above target pages). It's one thing to get a really good group here and there, but to have it shooting that well, on a consistent basis. Just wow is all that I can say.

This gun is AVERAGING sub moa, 5 shot groups at 53 yards with the JSB 18.1.

AND I'm using thin paper that often rips rather than has nice clean holes cut. I'm guessing the groups would measure slightly smaller with thicker paper.

AND I'm shooting off the bum bag that I used for field target as a front rest, with the rear of the gun mostly unsupported (just my left hand under the rear of the stock). No high-end rest or shooting bags here.

Furthermore, this all with ME shooting it, and I'm no EBR/RMAC/PA Cup level shooter, far from it in fact. I know that I'm not making the gun look as good as it really is. Those incredible groups have shots in them that I pulled (and not just a few). 

So, before I get the comments along the line of, 'that's not that impressive," for me and my shooting experiences, it is. It is often said that our collective life experiences form our little view of reality, or what we perceive to be reality. So, for me and the Tasco 4x scopes of my youth, and the bricks and bricks of .22 rimfire shot from an old Marlin bolt action as a teenager, and a .223 Handirifle with many rounds sent downrange, to the Field Target air rifle shooting that I took up a couple of years ago, I don't have a lot of precision shooting to compare to. Almost all of my shooting has been an all or nothing experience, a "did you hit it?" sort of thing, if you will. Even FT doesn't really require extreme precision. I'd have to say consistency in decent accuracy is much more a critical factor in FT than high levels of precise pellet placement. So, now with the RW, I feel like a caveman that a Lamborghini just zoomed past, leaving me sitting in it's dusty wake trying to figure out what the heck I just experienced. 

• Love
Programming

As I hinted at originally, this whole review series is revolving around the idea of making one high end gun fill various niches. The really appealing aspect of the Daystate electronic guns, is the fact that one gun has three power levels, and it takes no more than 10 seconds to switch between them. So, yes a RW costs a decent sum of money, but there's an argument there that it can take the place of three guns. For example, Centercut that won the Sportsman division of EBR last year, chose a Blue Wolf as his prize. He recently received that gun, and just started a thread today. He stated and explained the rationale behind his desired three power levels in the following manner: "approx 995 FPS on Medium power with the RD Monsters. On High, it shoots the JSB Beasts at 935 FPS.....on Low power, he tuned it for the 18.1 JSB at 880 FPS as per my request, since I shoot in a monthly 25M BR tournament at LDs Club, the Temecula Airgun Club." That works out to something like High-66, Med-56 fpe, and Low-31fpe, with his stated/desired pellets. That's a lot of versatility for one gun. I am not aware of any non-electronic gun that can go from 66 to 56 to 31fpe as effortlessly, and reliably, as the Daystate family of airguns. 

I share Centercut's preferred power levels as an example that we all have specific uses in mind when envisioning how and where a gun will get used. He knew exactly what projectile he was interested in shooting at each power level and had a specific type of competition/use in mind. For most guns, it's such a hassle to swap power levels so drastically, that they end up being set-up at a certain point, and left there (one-trick pony). For myself, I do that mostly because I like the piece of mind of KNOWING the fps it is shooting is consistent. The mental game of having confidence in one's equipment is very important in certain shooting disciplines. For me in FT, if I'm feeling good about how a gun is shooting, I will shoot better scores. Constantly tinkering does not instill confidence, and most guns require a large amount of fiddling to get them from one power level to the next. 

For myself, I knew before I ever had it in my hands that I wanted one of the power levels to be Field Target legal, so < 20fpe. After shooting it for a little over a week, I concluded that I was liking High at about 45fpe with the 25.39 Redesigns (will investigate High further with slugs), and Low at about 31fpe with the 18.1s. That left me with Medium as a here nor there power setting, at least for my specific uses and intent. After talking with the "Yoda of Red Wolf tuning" we decided to see if we could program it to make Medium be my FT power level, and leave Low and High right where they were. 

Today I got serious about making some changes to the programming. Before I get into the details of what I did, here is a small intro to the idea behind it, or at least what I've thus far learned, sprinkled with my opinions.

If you have a specific use in mind and already know what power levels you want, and know that the factory settings don't provide that, the #1 recommendation from me is to pay your Daystate dealer to do the programming for you. I don't know what they charge, but for a gun costing this much, it's worth paying them do it. There are a couple of YouTube videos to help, but I'm fairly certain that I would have made a mess had I not taken advantage of the phone a friend option. Had I purchased this gun, and proceeded to mutilate the programming, it would have needed to have gone back to the dealer to be programmed anyway, costing shipping and the risk of getting broken in the mail. Most people that choose Daystate over other similarly priced air rifles are doing it because of Daystate's reputation of supplying a ready-to-go, high-performance level experience straight out of the box. Honestly, that right from the gates performance is a big part of what you're paying the premium Daystate price for. So, let the guys at the dealership bang their heads against the wall with the programming so that when you get it, you can slap a scope on it and enjoy the heck out of it, rather than being frustrated with trying to program it. 

That being said, the programming is not impossible to accomplish for somebody motivated to take on the project. These two videos helped reinforce what I was being taught over the phone and through text. One is from one of the AOA technician that does a large amount of programming, and the other is from Michael, AGN forum owner. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3Y74va4TM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqBbDOYCju0

Those videos are very helpful, and I watched each one multiple times. In those videos, recording ALL the basic parameters is stressed numerous times, as it was to my by my ART friend on the phone. So, my #2 big recommendation if you ignored #1, RECORD EVERY FACTORY DEFAULT SETTING before messing with anything. My first potential problem, was that I didn't realize how many initial settings there were. I wrote down the settings from the Read/Store screens and thought I was good. There are actually 7 more screens for each of the three power levels that make up the settings for each fpe output. 

(It's about to get pretty technical).

What helped me wrap my brain around it the most, was taking pictures of all the default settings with my phone, and then copy and pasting them together into one image. Like this:

1588053384_14977461355ea7c58880bd95.19294789.jpg

Each column is a power level and the settings for that power level. DSP1=High=Profile 1. DSP2=Medium=Profile 2. DSP3=Low=Profile 3. I initially only recorded the top image in each column. My telephone instructor's first suggestion was to drop the voltage, circled in red. The first problem I had was that I dropped the voltage from the settings that were already in the programmer (circled in blue), which happened to come from a gun with at G1 cpu/board. Luckily he caught my error because this programmer I was using is his and he realized what I had done. 

So, it's important to make sure that what you're looking at on the screen is the settings for the gun being tuned, and not something already in the programmer.

Once we figured that out and he gave me some other pointers, I was (mostly) on my own. 

My next step was to see how much the voltage needed to come down from the G2 board factory setting of 63.26v. I ended up needing to bring it all the way down to 51.20v to get to my desired fps of about 810-815 with JSB 13.43, or right under 20fpe. I shot enough shots to bring the pressure down from 244 bar to about 190 and was seeing my fps taper off much too quickly. I realized I would have to jump all the way in the pool and change each of the parameters. 

Pulse length is essentially dwell.

HS always has to be higher than LS. (Dunno why, but that's just how it is.)

Changes should be done in equal increments. 

So, I changed all three pulse lengths (measured in microseconds), and the mid and low pressure points. I used the parameters I had, and the fpe they produced, to approximate what needed done to get about 30% lower than factory Low. I initially undershot by a vast amount and had shots in the 250fps range. I thought about it for a second and realized that the voltage was likely too low now, so I bumped the voltage back up to the 63.26 and was in the 650fps range. I then incrementally brought up the pulse pressures, and eventually fine-tuned the voltage back down a hair, to arrive at my goal fps of a little more than 800fps with my desired pellet.

Here is my scratch paper roughly showing what I did.

1588054763_15360541705ea7caebeb5109.53830709.jpg

All of my changes can be summed up as studying the cause and effect relationship of the changes I was making. All of the above described programming took less than 2hrs. I spent the rest of the afternoon shooting and recording a 323 shot string. Yes, 323 shots from the Standard RW at 20ish fpe!

For this fun, the gun was left out of the stock and still hooked up to the programmer, like this:

1588055371_20232714745ea7cd4b14c424.51093826.jpg

323 shots:

1588055986_593723845ea7cfb2cac1d0.10443359.jpg

So, with how I have it programmed, I've got some creeping up of fps there in the last 1/4 of the string. The ES is too big. Though I do average under 20fpe, I've got some illegal shots in there.

Here's how 244 shots looks:

1588056695_7977531435ea7d2770abcd6.84038282.jpg

Still have an ES that is too big, but all but one or two of my shots fit within that 2% variance in chronograph readings that are mentioned in the FT rule books, so, I'm legal here. 

Here's how 219 shots look:

1588057345_8359867265ea7d50134dba2.98560371.jpg

(MAX on this one was 824.7-forgot to add it to the image)

ES is starting to be acceptable for FT use. I consider this string fully legal for FT. 

Conclusion

I don't think I'm going to call it done yet. It is a very good start, and I could stop around 165 bar and have 183 shots with a 20fps extreme spread. Just for the educational value, I think I'll try to keep fiddling and see if I can make it shoot over 300 shots within 25 or so feet per second. 

That shot count is just sweet. No, a shooter will never need that many shots for a match, but man o man will it be nice to practice a little in the evening all week, 300 pellets worth, and never need to refill.

Just cuz, I shot all 323 shots from the string at a target at 53 yards. 25mph winds, no stock, many shots taken using my longest finger vs trigger finger, 6 year old scribe bumping the table.....

1588057934_19839554625ea7d74e87db76.62826454.jpg

I'll eventually do some screen grabs of the final programming for the FT power level and share them here in the review. I'm thinking if I mess with ONLY the low pulse length I might flatten out that back end of the string where shots are climbing.

There's some ambiguity in the AOA programming video about incremental adjustments. I'm not sure if Don is saying that you cant change High without changing Low. But my instructor says that he has found each of the power levels to be completely independent of each other. He doesn't foresee the route I took here to be a problem, although I will verify High and Low fps after the tuning to see if my adjustments to Medium have had any effects there. 

The first shot taken after making adjustments was always lower fps than the rest. Once I figured that out, it helped immensely. So, don't base future/potential changes on the first shot taken after changing a parameter.

My opinion of the programmer and the process is that it's a rather clunky endeavor. The programmer kinda seems like it was originally designed for something else, and repurposed for it's uses here. It's definitely no touch screen or OS operating with the newest version of Android, or bluetooth/wifi enabled tech. This is all hardwired old-school style. That being said, it does what it's supposed to do, which is give nearly infinite adjustability and tuning options for the Daystate electronic guns. Dealing with the seemingly aged tech of the controller is a worthwhile trade-off for what is ultimately accomplished. 

The way I'm picturing programming, it's a one and done deal. Once the gun is programmed, it shouldn't need to be done again. Knowing that I will only have to do this once to get the gun right where I want it for the time that we'll spend together, worth the hassle.

(Jumping on the hype wagon a little here, sure has been bunches of it already.......after experiencing the programmer first hand and now sharing my somewhat candid take on it, I can see the excitement behind this Delta Wolf business. All the opportunities opened up by being able to program a gun to this level of exquisite detail, and being able to do it easily, and even share those settings to other shooters-at least I think I saw that advertised somewhere-yeah, game-changer.) 

• Love
(Jumping on the hype wagon a little here, sure has been bunches of it already.......after experiencing the programmer first hand and now sharing my somewhat candid take on it, I can see the excitement behind this Delta Wolf business. All the opportunities opened up by being able to program a gun to this level of exquisite detail, and being able to do it easily, and even share those settings to other shooters-at least I think I saw that advertised somewhere-yeah, game-changer.) 

Beauty of the Delta Wolf with its built in chrony is it takes all that trial and error pulse width stuff and pushes it behind the scenes, just like the old MVT Airwolf did.

Just input your desired FPS, shoot a few shots and the gun will set itself. Plus it'll use the chrony in a feedback loop as the pressure drop to ensure things stay flat.

Can't wait.

Frank, impressive gun, and just as impressive review. Super detailed and accurate assessment. Great job!

I wanted to expound on the reason for the High setting on my Blue Wolf. I requested it be set up to shoot the 34 grain Beasts at the top end of the rated power level, 66 FPE. I did this not to shoot Beasts, since I’ve never had much luck with them in any other guns (even my Eddy R3 Long shooting them at 875 FPS), but in preparation for shooting heavier slugs if it turns out to like them. On Medium it shoots the lighter slugs well, such as the NSA 20.2 at 1050 FPS, and the FX Hybrid at 1010 FPS. Both very accurate. But getting up in weight to the 30 grain range will require more power than Medium, hence the request for High power way up there. I haven’t tried any heavier slugs yet, but am anxiously awaiting the new JSB 25 grain Knock Outs and will also test the heavier NSAs and the H&Ns. This is all in preparation for competing in the Small Bore Slug competition at RMAC in August.

Again, great review, the best I’ve read here on AGN. I’m impressed!

Mike

Nice review and write-up!, I almost purchased a tuner, then started hearing rumblings about the DW’s onboard programming, so I thought I would hold out until they incorporate that board into other platforms “REDWOLF” (and should be in the future?) I also was real close to purchasing a SAFARI! Glad I held out and purchase the .177-hp instead, I’ll wait... the standard .22 RW-hp will shoot better than I can anyway! I can still compete and will have fun doing so👍

@Macros, yes, it should be quite interesting to see what on-board programming capabilities the Delta Wolf possesses. 

@Corvid_hunter, you're welcome and thank you for the compliment. Would love to read about your new RW HP after it arrives.

@nomojo65, thank you for the kind words. Those .177 HPs are pretty sweet. A friend won the 50 yard portion of EBR year before last (I think) with one. I've shot her particular gun and it is quite impressive. 

@centercut, thank you also for the kind words. Bobby seemed to be very impressed with the accuracy your Blue Wolf is capable of, and it sure is a looker! I'm sure you'll do it justice as I've seen your postings of excellent long-range accuracy results with some of your other guns. And being a past EBR winner, well, that doesn't leave much question about your shooting abilities.

@azuaro, glad that you found it interesting. The electronic guns are a new area of exploration for myself as well (saw your comment on Centercut's post), but I'm thus far liking what I see.

There had been some discussion in Centercut's report on his EBR prize about extreme spreads with the electronic guns. I'm off today so here I sit in front of the chrono. 

The goal with this programming session was to eliminate the fps climbing when the bottle pressure got less than about 150-160bar. 

I'll do a better report in front of a computer, and Excel the crap out of it, but for now and just focusing on the low end of bottle pressure.....after some adjustments..... 143 shots from 166-110 bar with a ES of 14fps. It appears that I was able to tune out the climbing fps problem as all of these shots have the same fps as the first 185 of the string. Not a bad ES either, for an unregulated gun. Just need to verify that my adjustments didn't have any effect on the fps from a full bottle (they shouldn't). 

Just glancing at all my notes, I should have about a 15-20fps spread over about 330 shots, with a 250-110 bar fill. 

Please keep us posted of the progress Frank, I am following you and Mike (Centercut) on this electronic/gun tuning endeavor...To me these two threads are the most intriguing and interesting topics going on, I see it as a redefinition of the precision parameters for a possible perfect or close to perfect tuning...I am so fascinated by this technology in the new Delta Wolf that I will be acquiring one of those new guns as soon as they become available...

I may have to split the bill of the gun in between you and Mike, because with your threads you both are responsible for the forthcoming toy! 😁...

To be honest, I am not so much interested in shooting the gun in competition, I am more interested in taking it to our lab and testing the heck out of it...I can shoot to 50M indoors with controlled environment including vacuum and artificial wind at any velocity/direction; the possibility of controlling and setting most variables in those guns for allowing the testing of another variable open a new window for learning and for determining other parameters with more precision...Ha!, this is going to be a pretty busy end of the summer-fall!

You have a nice shooting session!

AZ

• Haha
So my new Red Wooof standard in 177 shoots 10.34 Exacts at about 870 FPS on high from 15 feet off the chrony.. That number would probably increase if the Chrony was closer. 

I am gong to try closer shots but until then, I would like to see about 900+ FPS on high, but according to the videos, it seems the guns come from the factory set at "overall" optimum. I have not made a shot count as of yet, but it does seem I am getting way more shots per fill than my Wolverine, but that is a subjective assessment.

I am limited to my back yard and that is why all my guns are 177. I am happy with them in that less powerful caliber, but shooting the 177 HW 97 springer at the GTA paintball match last year was quite the challenge vs.the 22's that had better ballistic coefficients in the windy conditions we faced.

That is why I would like to see the Red Woooof maxed out even at the expense of air efficiency as long as my compressor holds up. 😏 It may not be at max, but it sure is efficient as is.

Your post was very Ko-hear-aunt 👍