Tuning Red Wolf mag activator pin

For months I've been using the single shot tray, Well this morning I decided to use the magazines and immediately had trouble seating the magazines into position. Eventually I discovered that the magazine would not cycle. Long story short I've decided to just use the single shot tray.

I'm considering just using some hard epoxy and cementing the hole that the activator pin comes thru, removing the activator pin, spring and just screwing the two 3m screws holding the assemble back in place. 

My question is as follows. Is there anything else that needs to be done other then sealing that small hole that the mag activator pin goes thru?

John, Call AOA and get them to send you the plug that goes in, in place of the actuator pin The actuator pins almost always break! when using the single shot tray for some reason The plug goes in in place of the actuator pin piece and is a direct replacement. That way you can always go back to using the mag if you want to or if you sell the gun some day it wont be fill of epoxy. J.L.

I wanted to shoot my gun so here is what I did
There are two 3m x 16 screws that hold the cover over the mag actuator . Back those screws out and remove the pin and spring. Then I found a real hard piece of rubber and using a dremel carved a plug to fit into the cup from which I had removed the pin and spring . Then covered that with the part and screws. It worked for me. I talked to one of the techs and he said that this is a common problem. Using the single shot adaptor damages the mag actuator pin. Seems like that’s a poor bit of engineering .

Couple of comments. First, using the single shot tray has no effect on the actuator pin. The pin fires up into the recess, not touching the tray. It is the force of the pin actuation that can cause fatigue and failure. Use of mag or tray has no effect.

I'm not sure why we seek home made solutions to plugging the hole, when a Daystate plug kit is a phone call away. I guess we just like to tinker, I'm guilty of that for sure. But the plug kit from AOA is totally effective, and easy to install.

Couple of comments. First, using the single shot tray has no effect on the actuator pin. The pin fires up into the recess, not touching the tray. It is the force of the pin actuation that can cause fatigue and failure. Use of mag or tray has no effect.

I'm not sure why we seek home made solutions to plugging the hole, when a Daystate plug kit is a phone call away. I guess we just like to tinker, I'm guilty of that for sure. But the plug kit from AOA is totally effective, and easy to install.

I came up with my “home made solution” almost three years ago, shortly after the Red Wolf came out. There weren’t any commercially available plugs at that time, so necessity became my motivator.
I was just trying to help the OP with a simple solution that I feel works better than the plug you mentioned. After shooting over 60,000 rounds through .177 Red Wolfs, I think I’m starting to get a general idea how they work, but I will freely admit I still have a lot to learn.
1f914.svg
1f600.svg

Tom H.

Team Wolf Pack Daystate 

Tom, I wasn't criticizing your solution, and I'll gladly defer to your experience with the Red Wolf. My point, albeit poorly made, many owners are not as comfortable as you in self repairs. For those folks, the plug that AOA offers is a quick and easy fix. Whether it's any better, who knows, but its function and construction are so simple, I would be surprised if it is not a permanent fix for 99% of Red Wolf owners. I haven't put 60,000 rounds through all my air rifles combined in the last 10 years. I'd have to put a cot at the range and shoot in shifts 24/7 to come close. I think you're my new hero! Shoot an extra thousand for me this Memorial Day weekend.

Ed

The latest guns don't have the air path through the core, I suspect eventually they will do away with the inlet in the block for the plate and the plate altogether.

What fatigues the pin is having nothing to impact, no different to a firing pin breaking when you dry fire without impacting into the primer or the rim of a rimfire case.

As noted above, the replacement plug takes minutes to fit and is a much neater solution, of course then you cant use the older style mags anyways just the new ones.

What fatigues the pin is having nothing to impact, no different to a firing pin breaking when you dry fire without impacting into the primer or the rim of a rimfire case.

I think this is very true, but maybe not exclusively so. I know that folks who have used nothing but old style mags have reported broken pins. With the old mags, the pin impacts the advance arm in the magazine, which should obviously offer some resistance and cushioning effect. But, they still seem to break. Could be that most of these owners used the single shot tray more than they indicated, which could result in premature fatigue of the pin.

In some cases, the mag pawl/arm would over travel and strike the probe. Actuator pins breaking, mag pawl/arms breaking, probes dented and chipped.

I cut that end of the arm off two mags. Works fine.

Like any linkage, if that pin is {{still}} rising (and the pawl/arm is on the probe),... things are on a bind at that point. Trying to still move, but can not.

That was my fix anyways.