• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Red Wolf: GCU 2 vs. Heliboard

The GCU2 is a SOLID board and the new software gives better control. It would not be a bad choice for those needing 3 or less power level.
For myself, the Heliboard makes more sense because I have every caliber and switch those plus projectiles frequently. The ability to fine tune AT ANY TIME with the voltage is great plus 12 power levels instead of 3, PLUS more info on the display including BATTERY VOLTAGE... for the life of me don't know why that's not on the factory board.

Pro..
GCU2 - timeout, (no battery damage)
Heliboard - no timeout, display information, 12 power levels, programming from the trigger

Con...
GCU2- removed from stock to program, timeout(hunting or competition), limited display info, more expensive, separate programmer
Heliboard - no timeout (will KILL batteries if left on), MAY be more limited for speed cycling

They are relatively equal in power and build quality plus support so these are my views on the tradeoffs. They are relatively equal to switch between power levels or other options, also. A note on board operation that may affect speed... the GCU2 is always on till it times out... cycling the bolt does not shut it off , ,, the Heliboard is completely shut off each time the bolt or safety is cycled...it must charge or finish charging the caps when turned on or bolt closed. Jack gives a 150 millisecond charge time but we've seen longer on some boards. They're well less than a second, worst case, anyway .

Hope this helps,
Bob

The GCU2 is a SOLID board and the new software gives better control. It would not be a bad choice for those needing 3 or less power level.
For myself, the Heliboard makes more sense because I have every caliber and switch those plus projectiles frequently. The ability to fine tune AT ANY TIME with the voltage is great plus 12 power levels instead of 3, PLUS more info on the display including BATTERY VOLTAGE... for the life of me don't know why that's not on the factory board.

Pro..
GCU2 - timeout, (no battery damage)
Heliboard - no timeout, display information, 12 power levels, programming from the trigger

Con...
GCU2- removed from stock to program, timeout(hunting or competition), limited display info, more expensive, separate programmer
Heliboard - no timeout (will KILL batteries if left on), MAY be more limited for speed cycling

They are relatively equal in power and build quality plus support so these are my views on the tradeoffs. They are relatively equal to switch between power levels or other options, also. A note on board operation that may affect speed... the GCU2 is always on till it times out... cycling the bolt does not shut it off , ,, the Heliboard is completely shut off each time the bolt or safety is cycled...it must charge or finish charging the caps when turned on or bolt closed. Jack gives a 150 millisecond charge time but we've seen longer on some boards. They're well less than a second, worst case, anyway .

Hope this helps,
Bob
Helps a lot, Bob. Thank you.

As for programming - is that something that is required to be done for the "casual" user who only shoots 1 caliber and perhaps just three different weight pellets?

Also, I would guess that the higher power also brings somewhat higher noise levels?

And a dumb question... my 23" Red Wolf barrel is relatively unwieldy - is a shorter barrel available and what would be the downside to switching to a shorter barrel? (Lower velocities, shorter range with accuracy?). I'm actually considering getting a bull pup to have a more "handle-able" size rifle.

Love the Heli board in my Wolf/s .... ONLY downside of them is NO auto shut off. leave gun on and put away, battery will be flat !!
One MUST REMEMBER to turn them off after use !!

Also with a battery upgrade https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...nt-battery-on-the-cheap-more-cap-too.1273772/
The recharge time between shots is faster & shot count between chargings greatly extended.
Hi ...
I purchased the Heliboard for my .22 HP back in March and have been struggling. I've had the board installed for over a month a now and I've not have ANY success at getting stabilized consistency when using it.

I've programmed it numerous times and at the end of each programming session the gun WILL give consistent numbers throughout MOST of the programming range when recharged and shot from beginning to end as long as I shoot the gun that day, it will deliver standard deviations .3 or less over 80+ shots. HOWEVER, if I put the gun down for 24 hours and return the next day, although the R values have not changed, the SPEEDS they produce are dramatically changed ! Values that previously shot at 950-60fps the day before are now down as much as 40fps and as I move through the remaining R values, those speeds will shift all over the place. This has happened time after time and I've noticed are as likely to happen on the default programs as the ones that I've spent many hours refining. I'm just about at the point where I'll need to re-install the original board and call this Heliboard experiment a failure. I'm hoping that perhaps someone might offer some insight. Could this just be a bad board? Any advice offered or a string of R values numbers I might try to get some semblance of reliable consistency would be GREATLY appreciated?

Thanks in advance.
Joe P.
the Airgun Benchrest Channel on Facebook

I guess the best board depends on your use. I have a standard power .22 RW, and it's several years old, so I assume I have the first generation electronics. It is perfect for me on high power with an 18 g pellet. So I'm satisfied with it as is, since I need no additional flexibility, not even the standard three power settings. I guess it's a good thing that I'm generally ignorant of the current capabilities.

Reactions: JoePolanco
Hi ...
I purchased the Heliboard for my .22 HP back in March and have been struggling. I've had the board installed for over a month a now and I've not have ANY success at getting stabilized consistency when using it.

I've programmed it numerous times and at the end of each programming session the gun WILL give consistent numbers throughout MOST of the programming range when recharged and shot from beginning to end as long as I shoot the gun that day, it will deliver standard deviations .3 or less over 80+ shots. HOWEVER, if I put the gun down for 24 hours and return the next day, although the R values have not changed, the SPEEDS they produce are dramatically changed ! Values that previously shot at 950-60fps the day before are now down as much as 40fps and as I move through the remaining R values, those speeds will shift all over the place. This has happened time after time and I've noticed are as likely to happen on the default programs as the ones that I've spent many hours refining. I'm just about at the point where I'll need to re-install the original board and call this Heliboard experiment a failure. I'm hoping that perhaps someone might offer some insight. Could this just be a bad board? Any advice offered or a string of R values numbers I might try to get some semblance of reliable consistency would be GREATLY appreciated?

Thanks in advance.
Joe P.
I have not change my r values on any of my Helliboards till recently, I have 3 RW 1 Hp 30 cal and I have put other barrels on it, .177 .22 the others are standard .22 .25 all have Helliboards all I have done is the volts on the Hp

IMG_6715.png

IMG_6714.png

IMG_6717.png

IMG_6716.png

IMG_6718.png

Look at the back side of the rifles pressure Transducer / Sensor
If the rubber sealant appears to be raised/ broken around the outer most edge, BAD sensor Also check the connector for a friction fit.

I appreciate that, but am ignorant of what's being referenced. If you happen to have a visual reference, that would be great. I have done a breach seal test and that appears fine, no air escaping.

I'm really looking for a full set of 20 R-Values. The relative speed shouldn't matter. I simply want to see if a known set of values will produce a lasting ( consistent) result.

I appreciate that, but am ignorant of what's being referenced. If you happen to have a visual reference, that would be great. I have done a breach seal test and that appears fine, no air escaping.

I'm really looking for a full set of 20 R-Values. The relative speed shouldn't matter. I simply want to see if a known set of values will produce a lasting ( consistent) result.
Joe, I do not have a picture of the pressure sensor being referenced, BUT, it is the small silver canister type thingy right in front of the board, which has a short electrical lead that plugs into the board.
It’s the only electrical device between the bottle and board. Easy to find.

Hope this helped

Hi ...

Thanks in advance.
Joe P.
I have a Red Wolf, and it has been trouble free. That said, this is why I'll never buy another electronic rifle. When it comes to the programming, I don't even know what I don't know, but I know it's a lot! Think I'll stick to springs.

Heck... I guess if I really want a shorter/lighter/more nimble air rifle, instead of modding my RW HR, I just need to pony up and get an Edgun Leshiy.

The problem with the entire Edgun line is that you need an electric winch to pull the trigger. It's like shooting some of the worst double action triggered handguns.

The problem with the entire Edgun line is that you need an electric winch to pull the trigger. It's like shooting some of the worst double action triggered handguns.
I only disagree when we are talking about Matador. Those are smooth, shot and fully adjustable. When polishing all contact points, it becomes lighter than Daystate electronic triggers. I was the Edgun dealer in Brazil

I considered buying a Leshiy 2 for some time and spent some time researching before "pulling the trigger" on the purchase.

Aside from the not-so-good trigger on the L2, the other issues with Edgun, for some of us, are price, the possible pressure hazard with the plenum on the L2, and reputed poor support from EdGunWest in the USA.