Red Wolf for PRS? Yes!

This gun started as a midnight blue .22 Red Wolf HP that I won at EBR 2019 for winning Sportsman Class 100Y BR. I shot it in competition in 2020 and 2021 at 100Y BR events and the gun did well, even posting the overall high score at RMAC 2021 of 229-8x. I’ve called the gun Bleu ever since I got it.

IMG_3102.jpeg

But I wasn’t happy with the ammo after JSB shifted from shallow cavity to deep cavity in their 25.4 grain Monster Redesigns. So, for 100Y BR I shifted to .25 Heavy and bought a new .25 RW for 100Y BR - and finished 3rd at EBR 2022.

So I’ve recently gotten into NRL-22 and positional shooting. And what better way to do it than with a Red Wolf in a PRS stock? It still shoots RDMs very well at 975 fps, and I’ll be testing some slugs this weekend. I’m hoping the Altaros 32.3 grain at 900 fps will be the magic ticket, but that’s to be seen. The gun balances perfectly, and of course with that trigger how can you go wrong? Thanks so much to Rob and AoA for providing that awesome red chassis! More to follow on slug tuning…
Looks like Bleu has “transitioned” to Red. 🙄

IMG_1273.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks amazing... can't wait to see the results!!!
Are you using the A.R.T. barrel with the slug set-up?
The barrel is one of the "test" barrels that AoA was testing as part of the ART team for Daystate in early 2020. I'm not sure what the twist rate is, but I think it's a poly 5 groove vice the regular poly 6 groove. It was designated the B6 (or 6B) profile as part of the many, many (40+?) profiles that were tested. At one time it shot the JSB Mk1 KOs (25.4 grain) at 990 fps as well as the Monster RD pellets. But I haven't shot slugs out of it for years. This has the upgraded RW valve and the ART pin probe. Once I see if it likes the higher BC slugs I'll install the HeliBoard to fine tune the gun. I'm not that interested in shooting low BC slugs like the KOs (0.084 G1 BC) after having shot the Altaros (0.21 G1 BC) in my .25 Panther these past 4 months...

This gun started as a midnight blue .22 Red Wolf HP that I won at EBR 2019 for winning Sportsman Class 100Y BR. I shot it in competition in 2020 and 2021 at 100Y BR events and the gun did well, even posting the overall high score at RMAC 2021 of 229-8x. I’ve called the gun Bleu ever since I got it.

View attachment 370340

But I wasn’t happy with the ammo after JSB shifted from shallow cavity to deep cavity in their 25.4 grain Monster Redesigns. So, for 100Y BR I shifted to .25 Heavy and bought a new .25 RW for 100Y BR - and finished 3rd at EBR 2022.

So I’ve recently gotten into NRL-22 and positional shooting. And what better way to do it than with a Red Wolf in a PRS stock? It still shoots RDMs very well at 975 fps, and I’ll be testing some slugs this weekend. I’m hoping the Altaros 32.3 grain at 900 fps will be the magic ticket, but that’s to be seen. The gun balances perfectly, and of course with that trigger how can you go wrong? Thanks so much to Rob and AoA for providing that awesome red chassis! More to follow on slug tuning…

View attachment 370341
which weighs more - the wood stock you took off or the PRS? do you know the weight difference?

The barrel is one of the "test" barrels that AoA was testing as part of the ART team for Daystate in early 2020. I'm not sure what the twist rate is, but I think it's a poly 5 groove vice the regular poly 6 groove. It was designated the B6 (or 6B) profile as part of the many, many (40+?) profiles that were tested. At one time it shot the JSB Mk1 KOs (25.4 grain) at 990 fps as well as the Monster RD pellets. But I haven't shot slugs out of it for years. This has the upgraded RW valve and the ART pin probe. Once I see if it likes the higher BC slugs I'll install the HeliBoard to fine tune the gun. I'm not that interested in shooting low BC slugs like the KOs (0.084 G1 BC) after having shot the Altaros (0.21 G1 BC) in my .25 Panther these past 4 months...
The Altaros site advertises three versions of that slug (for FX, LW and CZ barrels). However, each one seems to be the same .2173 diam slug so it may be a relic of past experiments. Looking forward to hearing how they fare!

The Altaros site advertises three versions of that slug (for FX, LW and CZ barrels). However, each one seems to be the same .2173 diam slug so it may be a relic of past experiments. Looking forward to hearing how they fare!
Yeah, the Smooth 32.3 comes in 5.50 and 5.52. All of mine are 5.52, since when it shot the KOs it liked the .217 better than the .216. I'm hesitant to try, since the .25 cal. 49.5 grain from the Panthera 600mm Superior Heavy were so good as to be incredible...

Yeah, the Smooth 32.3 comes in 5.50 and 5.52. All of mine are 5.52, since when it shot the KOs it liked the .217 better than the .216. I'm hesitant to try, since the .25 cal. 49.5 grain from the Panthera 600mm Superior Heavy were so good as to be incredible...
I’ve been shooting the 51g Altaros in a Huben 25. It’ll never have Panthera precision but there’s a substantial accuracy increase relative to the Zans, AVS etc.

Reactions: Centercut

View attachment 370340

View attachment 370341

that gun looks awesome!! what have you all done to it??
Other than the PRS stock it has the upgraded RW high flow valve, ART pin probe, a little barrel transfer port work (oval’d it out for better flow), 580cc bottle, and tuned on Medium for 975 fps with RD Monsters.

I tried the Altaros 32.3 grain, but Medium was 830 fps and High was 930 fps, so too low and too high for these super high BC slugs. When I get a chance to install the HeliBoard I’ll check them again between 880 and 900 fps.

One good thing is today, I tried the JSB KO MK2 slugs (0.216) at about 935 fps and they were every bit as good if not better at both 50 and 100 yards than the RD Monster pellets. They have a BC of about 0.086 RA4 so not great but 62% better than the RDM pellets. I’ll live with that for now since the accuracy is very very good.

EBR target at 100 yards, KO slugs at 935 fps, 7 mph wind from 10:30 to 12:30. The 9 ring is 1.2 inches so better than MOA for those 6 shots.

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

Last edited: