Red Ryder Display Board

As many of you know, I make various trinkets, knives, woodworking items, etc.

A month or so ago, I was approached re a commission job. I never take these as I just make what I want and if someone wants to buy, fine. If not...move along. But this one was interesting to me. It was a soon to be grandmother who wanted a 'Cowboy Themed' rustic display to give to her daughter/son in law to put in the kids room. They apparently are into that and their wedding was cowboy themed. The baby is due shortly.

I ended up using pallet wood, reinforced in the back. Charred the edges with a torch for a bit more character. Sourced the small hat and boots and gave them a weathered look with sandpaper and a torch. Secured with hooks that I forged out of horseshoe nails. The gun hooks are from deer antler. The gun itself is an early model Red Ryder that I picked up cheap at the Hickory Airgun show last month. It still works, too.

The last name is Swarts and so I made a name plate and drew out the letters and cut them in with a Dremel and then charred it a bit. Several coats of Poly later, I ended up with this.

Not directly airgun related, but close enough.

cowboy.JPG

Thanks again, gents! Unfortunately, my wife took the display to give to the grandmother on way to her work. Funny thing... when the grandma saw it, she immediately called her son to come look at it. Apparently it was a hit and they loved it. Hate that I didnt get to see the reaction, though.

Mark!! I see your name from time to time as well and I wondered if the same. I still cherish that trip out to AZ. Was my first and only time seeing the desert and I absolutely loved it! Still amazed at the sight in session yall were doing... yall made it to a science in prep for FT for sure! Hope you are doing well, sir!

Reactions: Pale_Rider
As many of you know, I make various trinkets, knives, woodworking items, etc.

A month or so ago, I was approached re a commission job. I never take these as I just make what I want and if someone wants to buy, fine. If not...move along. But this one was interesting to me. It was a soon to be grandmother who wanted a 'Cowboy Themed' rustic display to give to her daughter/son in law to put in the kids room. They apparently are into that and their wedding was cowboy themed. The baby is due shortly.

I ended up using pallet wood, reinforced in the back. Charred the edges with a torch for a bit more character. Sourced the small hat and boots and gave them a weathered look with sandpaper and a torch. Secured with hooks that I forged out of horseshoe nails. The gun hooks are from deer antler. The gun itself is an early model Red Ryder that I picked up cheap at the Hickory Airgun show last month. It still works, too.

The last name is Swarts and so I made a name plate and drew out the letters and cut them in with a Dremel and then charred it a bit. Several coats of Poly later, I ended up with this.

Not directly airgun related, but close enough.

View attachment 401852
Beautiful, thoughtful awesome work.

Reactions: Rob_in_NC
Great job on the display board.
I hope I'm not out of line showing one I made for my wife to hang her 80th anniversary Red Ryder on. It's on a Mesquite live edge board that I had. Opinions are welcome forgive the dust we live in the desert and it's impossible to keep everything dusted.

View attachment 402447
A few things...

first, no sir... you are definitely not out of line. 'Thread Hijacking' is perfectly fine by me. If a post of mine veers into other territory, it's still providing entertainment and information sharing so I'm all for it!

Second... I love the live edge! I dont get to see much mesquite. I love the color variations and I think you did a great job on it

And lastly... the fact that your wife is into this enough such that you made her such a display for her gun qualifies you as a lucky man in my book!

Well done, sir!

Thanks again, gents! Unfortunately, my wife took the display to give to the grandmother on way to her work. Funny thing... when the grandma saw it, she immediately called her son to come look at it. Apparently it was a hit and they loved it. Hate that I didnt get to see the reaction, though.

Mark!! I see your name from time to time as well and I wondered if the same. I still cherish that trip out to AZ. Was my first and only time seeing the desert and I absolutely loved it! Still amazed at the sight in session yall were doing... yall made it to a science in prep for FT for sure! Hope you are doing well, sir!
Hey Rob, indeed I am doing well. Retired for quite a while now and busier than before. Still quite active with the club and shooting weekly FT match in addition to the monthly matches. Jim, on the other hand, is working all the time, it seems. Never get to see him much anymore. I still remember your visit. Glad you enjoyed the desert; I love it. No snow to shovel ever....LOL Hope you and yours are doing well, also.