• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Red Loctite Why?

Yes believe it or not...

I have lost respect with Airguns of Arizona and FX now... If I send something in and or buy something and I will tell them NO Loctite and if you put it on there I will return it for a full refund.

These FX guns had Red Loctite on the endcap of the shroud and on the Donny FL Can cap. WTF????
I can see the "factory" using a red thread locker to "try" to keep prying hands out of places that "they" don't want us, like removing the suppressor. But the local "tuner" or the owner at home.
Locking with red Loctite on small fasteners (less than 3/16" or an 1/8") means doom in most cases.

Mike

I can see the "factory" using a red thread locker to "try" to keep prying hands out of places that "they" don't want us, like removing the suppressor. But the local "tuner" or the owner at home.
Locking with red Loctite on small fasteners (less than 3/16" or an 1/8") means doom in most cases.

Mike
It's not doom and gloom. You just have to spend some time and apply heat and that stuff melts, but you should not have to do that on an airgun.

Removing something that has Red on it is a pain in the keister. If someone puts it on a part that can't be heated up you are in deep.

I do actually use "Red" locking compound all the time on airguns and PBs --- but it is a 4 ounce 35+ year old military issue bottle that I got for $1 at a surplus store hoping it might still have some strength left. With some testing using an inch pound torque wrench, It turned out that it was slightly weaker than "Blue", which ended up being perfect for many of my needs.

Of topic a bit - Mentioning FX and AoA got my attention. I didn't think they sold FX guns, which was kind of surprising to me when I looked for one on their website a while ago. Not a single new FX gun listed for sale. Do you have to ask for them over the phone for some reason?
AOA and FX had a falling out a couple years ago. They do not sell FX any longer. Unless they take a used one in on trade or something like that.
Kit

I’ve been using the purple loctite, if loctite is needed, it is low strength. Also vibra-tite is good. I just got some vibra-tite thread tape to try. I ran into the FX shroud end cap problem…not sure what they were thinking with that one.
Yes purple works for just about anything an airgun will ever need. I put the soldering gun tip on the bolts.

In the midst of your bitching at AoA, did you ever ask WHY they did it? Or did you just assume?

Most shrouded guns with factory moderators come "glued on" for some kind of liability/legal reason to discourage it from being removed.

If the place working on your gun is an "authorized repair center" it's likely that they have to do it the way the manufacturer wants them to do it.

I've got a hunch that they certainly didn't do it simply to keep it from falling off, despite how "retarded" you think they are.

It's a pain in the butt, yes absolutely. It's also unnecessary, yes absolutely.

I haven’t tried it yet, I’ve no idea where I’ll use it, but like the idea.
E0A66872-43CF-4171-8B96-DD0BD8C9BA33.jpeg

I use the blue on springers and have never had a problem. I don’t have any experience with pcps and I can’t think of any reasons for the red except liability. I have used the red on a Ruger 22 pistol. My optic rail kept coming loose with blue loctite even after I oversized the tapped holes to 8-40. My problem was the tapped holes are through holes and I was running the bolt wet with oil and the blue isn’t oil resistant even after it cures. This was before they made the oil resistant version. And yes I degreased both the screws and holes before application and waited 24hrs before use.

Reviving an old thread here. I just bought a used lcs sk19 with a donny fl adapter and moderator on it but came with the factory pieces too. I like the factory looks and tried to take the donny fl stuff off and put fa tort pieces on. Guess what? Red thread sealer on the adapter. I asked previous owner about this and he said he didnt use thread sealer but is was serviced recently at airguns of Arizona. It doesnt make sence to me. Why damage a gun for the customer. This is like welding rims onto a car so you cant service the tires. I'm blown away by this. Its damaging a gun for no reason but they can. I hope I can get a replacement barrel now. I used to think aoa was a premier dealer. Guess i am wrong. I tried heat and it's not letting loose. Dont want to use to much heat since this is the barrel I'm working on. Im so frustrated with this.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Loc-tite 271 ..... LOL
When you ABSOLUTELY want to SECURE a Fastener or Other Screwed together connection that you DON'T PLAN ON REMOVING.
Screws smaller than 10-32 SAE or 5mm heaven forbid you even try w/o some major heat applied first !!! Same for large connections ... HOT !!! required to break down the bond. If said parts can't take such heat ? ... Yup your Screwed :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2L8