Tuning Reconnecting with the PP750

PP750 w 4x15.jpg

Even with a half-century of monkeying with airguns of all kinds, I am often conflicted between more monkeying and "if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT"... because that's too often a good way to break it!

Having been smitten enough with my PP750 to not only fabricate custom Shedua grips and cheekpiece, but also devote a super-cool and apparently even more rare Tasco 4X18mm mini riflescope to it, I then put it away for the better part of a year due to inconsistent trigger weight/action. Sometimes the trigger broke just right, other times a bit heavy; yet other times a bit light. But ever hesitant to dive into the unknown, especially if replacement parts are not readily available, I put Sweet Thang away until which time I could muster enough courage to overcome the "DON'T FIX IT" part of aforementioned adage. Thankfully the AGN search feature turned up exactly the information I needed to dive into the trigger monkeying.🐒

The monkeying, concentrating on polishing of sear points and moly-lubing, went quite well; producing a nice, crisp, relatively consistent break that I knew would improve with use. In fact and as not unexpected, after a couple hundred rounds of testing with a 10.3" aftermarket barrel that didn't group as well as the original 8" barrel, the trigger action not only smoothed out nicely but became too light (a 5 ounce first stage, followed by the second stage breaking within another ounce :eek:).

This might be a good time to repeat a disclaimer I post with any mention of working on any trigger. "The author takes no responsibly whatsoever for anyone overdoing any triggersmithing techniques mentioned here".

After reinstalling the original 8" barrel, a simple sear adjustment (to richer engagement) got me exactly where I wanted to go. The 5 ounce first stage is now followed CONSISTENTLY by another 5 ounces before a crisp-as-breaking-glass trigger break. So INSPIRED, but not certain whether to go with the higher velocity of 15.89 JSBs or higher energy and shot-count of 18.1 grain JSBs, as usual I decided to let accuracy decide.

The target below, shot at what I consider an appropriate distance for PP750 applications of 30 yards, shows little accuracy difference between the two pellet weights/models.

1696267703026.png

Nevertheless, the 18.1s also center-punching out the aim-spot (at 30 yards) tips the scale. SWEET Thang!