Recommended FPE for vervet monkeys

Evening guys.
Any of you have any experience culling vervet monkeys? I have been approached by the govt vet to assist in their efforts to get rid of the IAS species starting to negatively affect the island.

I have been searching all over to find numbers for FPE recommendations but have not come up with anything.

Anyone have any recommendations or links / resources that would be of use?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Bandito
I don't have any experience with any type of monkeys, but given the size and weight of the vervet, anything good for raccoons should be more than enough. The FPE requirements would depend on if you are going to limit yourself to head shots, or open it up to shots to the lungs. I presume with lung shots they will walk off some distance before expiring. With air guns use a dome pellet and forget about those expanding pellets for this size quarry.

Physical description[edit]​

The vervet monkey very much resembles a gray langur, having a black face with a white fringe of hair, while its overall hair color is mostly grizzled-grey.[15][16] The species exhibits sexual dimorphism; the males are larger in weight and body length and may be recognized by a turquoise-blue scrotum. Adult males weigh between 3.9 and 8.0 kg (8.6 and 17.6 lb), averaging 5.5 kg (12 lb), and have a body length between 420 and 600 mm (17 and 24 in), averaging 490 mm (19 in) from the top of the head to the base of the tail. Adult females weigh between 3.4 and 5.3 kg (7.5 and 11.7 lb) and average 4.1 kg (9.0 lb), and measure between 300 and 495 mm (11.8 and 19.5 in), averaging 426 mm (16.8 in).[9][17]

Absolutely zero personal experience with Vervet monkeys.....

But this was my first thought of necessary info.....
1000006458.png

So something like 12-15lbs on average...
Makes me think racoonish in size.....I'd say 40-50fpe on the light end, if it's an official government gig like your saying. Sure you can kill a raccoon sized animal with less fpe, but I'm thinking you better err on the side of more humane in this situation.

I don't have any experience with any type of monkeys, but given the size and weight of the vervet, anything good for raccoons should be more than enough. The FPE requirements would depend on if you are going to limit yourself to head shots, or open it up to shots to the lungs. I presume with lung shots they will walk off some distance before expiring. With air guns use a dome pellet and forget about those expanding pellets for this size quarry.

Physical description[edit]​

The vervet monkey very much resembles a gray langur, having a black face with a white fringe of hair, while its overall hair color is mostly grizzled-grey.[15][16] The species exhibits sexual dimorphism; the males are larger in weight and body length and may be recognized by a turquoise-blue scrotum. Adult males weigh between 3.9 and 8.0 kg (8.6 and 17.6 lb), averaging 5.5 kg (12 lb), and have a body length between 420 and 600 mm (17 and 24 in), averaging 490 mm (19 in) from the top of the head to the base of the tail. Adult females weigh between 3.4 and 5.3 kg (7.5 and 11.7 lb) and average 4.1 kg (9.0 lb), and measure between 300 and 495 mm (11.8 and 19.5 in), averaging 426 mm (16.8 in).[9][17]
@BlackICE, that was my thought process as well.
Thanks for your input.

Absolutely zero personal experience with Vervet monkeys.....

But this was my first thought of necessary info.....
View attachment 456487

So something like 12-15lbs on average...
Makes me think racoonish in size.....I'd say 40-50fpe on the light end, if it's an official government gig like your saying. Sure you can kill a raccoon sized animal with less fpe, but I'm thinking you better err on the side of more humane in this situation.
@Franklink I think “official” is going a bit far. Hahahahaha. They want it done “quietly”.
Thanks.

Matt knows best...
@Julez , was watching one of his vids last night where he mentioned 21, 23 and 26 gr slugs for expansion, energy dump and no pass through , instead of the heavier ones that do pass through. I’m going to check some of his other vids regarding speeds, etc…..I’, thinking in the mid 9s.

Reactions: Bandito and Julez
You might have to be very adaptive. "Quiet" is going to take on a whole new meaning. Camouflage is going to be a major necessity, possibly added with distance. My .25 Cricket Carbine sounds like it would be just the thing.
Once they catch on to what's happening, you're going to have your work cut out for you.
Wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Raccoons can be several times the size of a vervet monkey - they can be over 50 lbs. 10-15 lbs is not like 1 lb squirrels or 3 lb rbbits either, however. I think somebody mentioned 50 fpe and that seems reasonable to me. I would think a reasonably powerful 25 or a really powerful 22 would work. Nothing wrong with a 30, however. As always, less fpe for head shots only.

Reactions: Bandito and Mr12PM
Around 10 min mark on linked video above

Around 12:30 in linked video above. Again around 15:57. He’s using an FX Impact M3. Watch videos for details on ammo. In other videos Dubber uses a 22-250 to hunt monkeys.
@Ezana4CE Thank you. He doesn’t mention speeds, but given that he does give distances and mils, and knowing the BC of the 26 javs, I should be able to work out the speed, fingers crossed.

Reactions: Bandito and Julez
@Mr12PM Yes from the vids I’ve posted details are lacking. I didn’t see any in the descriptions. I can’t recall the vid where he discusses details. As of late he’s been discussing more details about what he’s doing with the Panthera. I didn’t take too much time going through his videos, but wanted to help point you in the right direction. At least he demonstrates that it can be done ethically with an air rifle as well as a centerfire rifle.

Reactions: Bandito and Mr12PM
@Mr12PM Yes from the vids I’ve posted details are lacking. I didn’t see any in the descriptions. I can’t recall the vid where he discusses details. As of late he’s been discussing more details about what he’s doing with the Panthera. I didn’t take too much time going through his videos, but wanted to help point you in the right direction. At least he demonstrates that it can be done ethically with an air rifle as well as a centerfire rifle.
@Ezana4CE Your help is appreciated, and yes, totally agree with the “details are lacking” comment.

Of late, Roelf has been posting LOTS of specific details on this vide, which is great: reg pressure, barrel length, speeds, round info PLUS IHS lengths/settings. He’s running the 26gr at around 950 with a 150 bar reg pressure and 6.1mm IHS.

I’ll be trying those settings to see the results with the HN 27, 25, 23, JSB 25.39KO, and the Hybrids.

Will revert with results.

Head shots with a 50 fpe 22 would suffice I'd think. I've had 30 fpe in 22 drop raccoons with head shots, and I've had one get knocked out with 38 fpe 25 cal. That was a scary time.

Carrying a coon out of the brush by the tail thinking it's dead, and it wakes up mid carry. Good thing he was dazed! Put another in his dome point blank and got the break dance going. Should've known when it fell out of the tree and didn't bust a move that it wasn't done.