Recommendations on upgrading FX Crown

killahog - I attempted to replace the barrel my 1st version Crown (with the extendable barrel) with the STX Superlight barrel w/ superior liner. I found that the part of the STX barrel that inserts into the receiver is shorter and the end of the brass transfer port sleeve doesn't extend far enough to the magazine. I want to disassemble the barrels and find out how I can make the STX barrel fit but haven't got around to it yet. Now that the weather is warmer I have more motivation to do that.

I have used the FX Hybrid slugs in the original extendable barrel and have shot up to 50 yds. with very good results though. Haven't gotten to the range to try them at farther distances. Even if it shoots well at farther distances I still want the weight advantage of the STX lightweight barrel as I hunt with the gun and sometimes have to carry it for long distances.

Well, from what I am reading so far the intial concenses is I migh just be better off upgrading the Crown to a different gun altogether. Hopefully I can find someone who has modified the Crown that has went with slugs and has good results. The gun shoots the JSB 18's excellent but I think I am being limited by the design of the pellets themself. I am not oppsed to moving into say an Impact or Maverick but I know I will not use 2 guns so I would have to sell the Crown.

Keep in mind the crown is not just built well, and accurate as hell. It’s also infinitely adjustable. Regulator adjustment, hammer spring adjustment, and even caliber changes are all things that will work well to make the fun even more accurate with the pellet or slug of your choice. A gun like the kratos may be accurate, but you will probably spend a lot of time finding the pellet/pellets it’s most accurate with, and stick to those. You will have more leeway in pellets and slugs with the crown due to its adjustments. Fx has also done a great job at making barrels interchangeable in both caliber, and twist rates to help fine tune the gun. In all, you’re paying fx for all these features, and a gun that is much more well built, and will last generations. Will the kratos give you what you want? Maybe if tuning and tinkering is not for you. The Kratos will be a fun point and shoot gun that is accurate with the right pellet, and Will be less to tinker and adjust. 
hope this helps. 

killahog - Have you tried the FX Hybrid slugs? If not I would give them a try and possibly do some tuning with them before giving up on the gun you have. 

Until I can see if it is possible to put a STX lightweight barrel on mine - I didn't like the idea of the extended barrel hanging from the unsupported liner - so I bought a threaded adaptor for the end of the original barrel, locked the barrel in the retracted position and installed a moderator. I am pretty happy with the accuracy of the FX Hybrids in it and prefer the better expansion for hunting.

Well, if it's going to be a bench shooter, go ahead and get a 700mm barrel for it. If not, I retired my 700 in place of a 500mm superior. (to favor maneuverability in brush) I shoot light weight slugs thru it around 950fps 21-25gr whichever I have most of. My gun has been ported by me, I typically run around 145 bar pressure with a 7gm hammer weight in the gun. It is a 1st gen continuum, and will do 50fpe in the 500mm barrel in .22 caliber

I also used an Earnest Rowe carbon fiber liner to stiffen my superior liner. Made the gun noticeably less picky about prejectiles or tune 

killahog - I attempted to replace the barrel my 1st version Crown (with the extendable barrel) with the STX Superlight barrel w/ superior liner. I found that the part of the STX barrel that inserts into the receiver is shorter and the end of the brass transfer port sleeve doesn't extend far enough to the magazine. I want to disassemble the barrels and find out how I can make the STX barrel fit but haven't got around to it yet. Now that the weather is warmer I have more motivation to do that.

I have used the FX Hybrid slugs in the original extendable barrel and have shot up to 50 yds. with very good results though. Haven't gotten to the range to try them at farther distances. Even if it shoots well at farther distances I still want the weight advantage of the STX lightweight barrel as I hunt with the gun and sometimes have to carry it for long distances.

This type of feedback is what I am searching for dead shot is having trouble getting the STX to fit. I am not opposed to buying new parts but want to make fact based decisions based on a Crown that has already been modified before I make the leap

Thanks 

I’m no expert, just a airgun enthusiast and hobbyist. But, if you wanted to sift through some threads of the upgrades, accessories, and parts I have have added to my Gen-1 FX Crown .25 here are the links. I use Nielsen Specialty Ammunition slugs weights 26.8, 29.5, and 33.5 grains. It shoots very well... Love it!

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/after-slug-tuning-my-25-fx-crown-lo-and-behold-the-accuracy/?view=all#post-962019

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/15-to-25-fpe-boost-slugs-optimum-fx-crown-25/?view=all#post-949827

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/ernest-rowes-carbon-fiber-stx-liner-sleeves-keep-my-fx-crowns-poi-consistent/?referrer=1

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/first-30-shots-after-installing-a-new-fx-stx-superior-25-600mm-in-my-fx-crown/?referrer=1

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/teaching-a-old-fx-crown-a-new-trick/?referrer=1

It’s a lot of information, but if you are seeking a specific, documented slug gun conversion of a .25 Crown by a average Joe... It’s sort of my library, the links are ordered (top) newest to (bottom) oldest.

JK

I just converted my earlier model Crown from 30cal to 22cal with a 600mm Superior barrel since I can shoot my Impact in 22,25 and 30cal. The Superior liner is shooting the NSA 20.2's and JSB Knockouts really well. Haven't had a chance to catch a day when the wind was blowing so I haven't stretch it out. 80yds is the furthest I've shot them so far. 

Jking