N/A Recommendations for scope or red-dot for Beeman P17

If I buy a pistol scope, it will have to be one where the eye-relief is enough that I can use it with my arms fully extended the way I shoot pistols.

No way am I going to put a "rifle" scope on a pistol.

A friend of mine had a .22lr target pistol with such a scope and it was marvelous! Unfortunately, he is dead so I have no way to ask what it was.

All my best!

Kerry
What ever it was, it probably doesn't belong on a cheap P17.
Did you check my out my responce?
I demonstrate on video, a less that $30 sight that works excellent on that inexpensive gun.
👍

Reactions: BackStop
What ever it was, it probably doesn't belong on a cheap P17.
Did you check my out my responce?
I demonstrate on video, a less that $30 sight that works excellent on that inexpensive gun.
👍
Yes, I watched your video and the pistol scope I was talking about was probably not all that expensive knowing the types of scopes my friend had on his PB rifles. All I was saying was that if I put a "scope" on the P17, it will allow me to use a pistol as intended, with arms fully extended.

Since I will probably not be able to find something like that reasonably priced, I will probably end up with a red-dot of some type.

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

I will put up ANY of the 24 P17s I bought (at least the ones I still have) against ANY P17 clone, no matter how much those clones cost.

The P17 is very accurate at least out to 10 meters and I suspect just as accurate/precise as those that look EXACTLY the same,but cost MANY MANY times the price. In reality, they are the same gun, but as I have said in the past, there are a lot of people with more $$$ than sense.

Last edited:
I forgot that you 24 of them. Lol

If you have decided on a scope, BSA make a good little inexpensive pistol scope for about $70. before discounts. You would still need rings. Rings that would be easy on the P17s plastic dovetail mount,
Something like a single clamp ring with four screws.
That BSA scope doesn't have a great eye relief. That means to see the full lens view at full extention you have keep it on a lower power setting to avoid the ghost ring.
I bought mine for my Sheridan so the eye relief will be perfect as a scout rifle scope. 20240408_201356.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BackStop
Yes, I watched your video and the pistol scope I was talking about was probably not all that expensive knowing the types of scopes my friend had on his PB rifles. All I was saying was that if I put a "scope" on the P17, it will allow me to use a pistol as intended, with arms fully extended.

Since I will probably not be able to find something like that reasonably priced, I will probably end up with a red-dot of some type.

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

I will put up ANY of the 24 P17s I bought (at least the ones I still have) against ANY P17 clone, no matter how much those clones cost.

The P17 is very accurate at least out to 10 meters and I suspect just as accurate/precise as those that look EXACTLY the same,but cost MANY MANY times the price. In reality, they are the same gun, but as I have said in the past, there are a lot of people with more $$$ than sense.
I have a slap wore out P17. Thats one, two year old gun thats slap wore out.
I had a decision buy 1 HW40 made in Germany by Weihrauch, (Who I'm a big fan of), or maybe six P17s copied from the real deal "HW40" by the Chinese. I chose to own an original, which does out perform the P17.
Chinese are not known to indulge in a high quantity effort, like the Germans are.
If they are the same Weihrauch parts should fit the P17. Its my understanding that they don't.

I also wanted to mention that the red dots do give you full arm extension so that you shoot it naturally like a pistol

I do like the idea of a bunch of matched pistols for when I have guest to entertain. 😉

In any event, I hope you have great shooting experience. I'd like feedback to see how you did.
👍

I had a decision buy 1 HW40 made in Germany by Weihrauch, (Who I'm a big fan of), or maybe six P17s copied from the real deal "HW40" by the Chinese. I chose to own an original, which does out perform the P17.
Chinese are not known to indulge in a high quantity effort, like the Germans are.
If they are the same Weihrauch parts should fit the P17. Its my understanding that they don't.

I also wanted to mention that the red dots do give you full arm extension so that you shoot it naturally like a pistol

I do like the idea of a bunch of matched pistols for when I have guest to entertain. 😉

In any event, I hope you have great shooting experience. I'd like feedback to see how you did.
👍
Well, believe what you want to... Given the $7.50 per price I paid, it is hard for me to believe that the HW40 or any other copy of the P17 is worth 42 times the price or more.

Don't get me wrong, the P17s I bought were/are all tack drivers out to 10 meters, if I could do my part. I tested each of them before I gave them away and they were VERY consistent. Ragged holes at 10 meters, even when I was drunk! (chuckle)

As I only have a few left and my health isn't great, I need some help over the sights that come with the P17 (or any variant).

I still think the P17 is capable of sub-MOA at 10 meters with a decent sight. But, I don't believe the German variation is any better. Hell, it even LOOKS EXACTLY like the Chinese P17 version, even if you do claim the parts aren't interchangeable.

Oh well, as I said, there are a LOT of people with more $$$$ than common sense.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions!

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy
Well, believe what you want to... Given the $7.50 per price I paid, it is hard for me to believe that the HW40 or any other copy of the P17 is worth 42 times the price.

Don't get me wrong, the P17s I bought were/are all tack drivers out to 10 meters, if I could do my part. I tested each of them before I gave them away and they were VERY consistent. Ragged holes at 10 meters, even when I was drunk! (chuckle)

As I only have a few left and my health isn't great, I need some help over the sights that come with the P17 (or any variant).

I still think the P17 is capable of sub-MOA at 10 meters with a decent sight. But, I don't believe the German variation id better. Hell, it eve LOOKS EXACTLY like the Chinese P17 version, even if you do claim the parts aren't interchangeable.

Oh well, as I said, there are a LOT of people with more $$$$ than common sense.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions!

All my best!

Kerry
Buy one for $7.50!

Screenshot_20240408_213902_Samsung Internet.jpg

Me too, thats what I did.
I liked my P17. I hope to restore it.
Just to verify my $7.50 purchases, here is the camelcamelcamel.com price history of the P17:

And my purchases of the National Geographic Tripod for $13.52...

Wish I had bought more of both. (smile)

Just to verify my $7.50 purchases, here is the camelcamelcamel.com price history of the P17:

Yes, I've heard others talk about that event in Amazon history. What a deal
Kind of like that deal on Chinese copies of the Tru-Glo red dot I showed you.!
Screenshot_20240409_060527_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: jetpopt
The best sources for red dot information is usually the full bore sites.
None of these recommend the use of Chinese clones from Amazon etc. So I would not go that way.
The most likely choice for airgunners is probably the mid price point stuff like Hawke, but while we see better quality dots, instead of blurry dots, we are still find this zero shifting issue cropping up.

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

The people who buy the other gun that looks EXACTLY like the P17 have plenty of sense.
The other gun is the Beeman P3 and in reality they are NOT the same gun.
I own both and the P3 is made better.
You are correct about the accuracy being the same though.
But you are WRONG about the people who buy the P3 having more $$ than sense!
Why would you insult someone who has a better gun than you do? Weird.

Please, from here on, if you don't have a recommendation that you are using, please don't comment.

So far, all of the comments have been less than useless for me. I could have gotten, and did, get as much information by using google or duckduckgo and that is a sad statement for AGN...

Thanks!

All my best!
You are looking for a scope and people are giving you their suggestions and you are saying all of the comments are less than useful.
Perhaps just stick with DuckDuckGo!
Thanks! Smile
Edit: Sorry for the sarcasm BackStop, I try not to do that.
I have a little red dot that I’ll give you, it works fine but the smallest dot is pretty big so I don’t use it, it’s yours if you want it. You will need rings for it, and don’t forget to put on zero when done shooting or it will kill the battery!
It has a new battery in it now.
Just PM me and I’ll send it out!
It would be good for arms length shooting.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have a P3 and plenty of sense. You might have 24 accurate P17s bought at firesale prices—GREAT! But suppose you shoot all of them in rotation, instead of shooting one HW40 or P3 for the same total number of shots. Of course, the wear and tear is being distributed to the tune of 1/24 as much as the single, more expensive gun!

The storage space for 24 matching guns bought “just in case one is crap” has an opportunity cost. I’d rather use that storage space for a different kind of gun. It makes good sense to use that much more expensive item (finished indoor real estate) for more than redundancy.

👍
Which parts don't fit?