N/A Recommendations for scope or red-dot for Beeman P17

Several options, but the “lower priced” red dots are a waste in my experience.
Thanks for the reply, but you didn't help me at all because you didn't make any recommendations.

Yes, I understand that "cheap" red-dots are going to be less than stellar, but hopefully there are some that will be better than the open sights.

It would be nice to have a pistol class scope, but I don't know if I want to put that much money into it as I don't intend on using the P17 for much more than plinking and as a finishing pistol, which is what it is used for mostly now.

Thanks for the reply in any case!

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

I bought 24 of these pistols at $7.50 per back in 2020. Gave away most of them, but still have 4 or 6 of them and just never have liked the open sights although I have been (a few years ago) able to put 10 pellets into a small ragged hole at 10 meters... at times. I would like to be able to do that with more consistency now. (smile)

well you can get inexpensive reflex sights on Amazon and they would work
the weaver mounted ones would need an adapter and at about 28 bucks cheap the dovetail models of the same sight would be 40 bucks but with no adapter
you can look on Ebay there are thousands listed
but weaver plus adapter will be just about a push for the dovetail

Reactions: Bandito
I bought several Bug buster scopes when they were on sale for around $90 and they are great for pistol use.
Not for off hand shooting though, but for shooting from a bag and using the pistol as a mini rifle lol!
You have to snuggle up to the pistol and scope, but it’s endless fun.
I shoot flys with my pistols when set up with the Bug buster scopes at up to 15 yards even!
Edit: Added a picture of my friend shooting a scoped pistol from the bags.
It’s very stable and you can get amazing accuracy!
IMG_6698.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

While the red dot answers loads of issues, such as finite sight radius of opens, alignment time etc, I have come to the conclusion that they have one huge issue of their own and gone back to opens....at least on pistols.
The issue I've experienced, and this is for cheap, or expensive models, is that the zero point can shift, when switching on and off after long periods of down time...
I am currently conducting experiments with a reasonable quality one to try and isolate where this error is coming from. It's around 5 diffent models of varying price range that has led me to this conclusion...
I will chime back in after a few weeks of testing. Mainly to isolate that the error is not coming from recoil but from the switching off and on...

It's a shame because they answer a lot of problems, including the issue of controlling shake you get with magnification in scopes.

While the red dot answers loads of issues, such as finite sight radius of opens, alignment time etc, I have come to the conclusion that they have one huge issue of their own and gone back to opens....at least on pistols.
The issue I've experienced, and this is for cheap, or expensive models, is that the zero point can shift, when switching on and off after long periods of down time...
I am currently conducting experiments with a reasonable quality one to try and isolate where this error is coming from. It's around 5 diffent models of varying price range that has led me to this conclusion...
I will chime back in after a few weeks of testing. Mainly to isolate that the error is not coming from recoil but from the switching off and on...

It's a shame because they answer a lot of problems, including the issue of controlling shake you get with magnification in scopes.
Most red dots, I think, have infinity as paralax distance, which mean that the POI moves with your head/eye. POI error is literally the width and height of the red dot little window. Unless you somehow keep the dot image in the exact same place on the glass.
Apart from this, some cheap knock-off have crappy elevation mechanisms which can drift if you don't do a bit of back and forth with the screw at the new setting.

Reactions: Steveoo
Thanks for the reply, but you didn't help me at all because you didn't make any recommendations.

Yes, I understand that "cheap" red-dots are going to be less than stellar, but hopefully there are some that will be better than the open sights.

It would be nice to have a pistol class scope, but I don't know if I want to put that much money into it as I don't intend on using the P17 for much more than plinking and as a finishing pistol, which is what it is used for mostly now.

Thanks for the reply in any case!

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

I bought 24 of these pistols at $7.50 per back in 2020. Gave away most of them, but still have 4 or 6 of them and just never have liked the open sights although I have been (a few years ago) able to put 10 pellets into a small ragged hole at 10 meters... at times. I would like to be able to do that with more consistency now. (smile)
I have bought two El cheapos from Amazon. One of them had to be exchanged because the knob was misaligned, and it was missing the battery. Amazons exchange policy was easy. The new sight arived the day after putting the bad one in the mail.

Screenshot_20240408_080043_Samsung Internet.jpg

As far as the sights are concerned, they work as good as my Tru-glows. They do have a bit larger dot, but that doesn't bother me, because I set them to hit at the top of the dot, like the brass bead on a lever actions front sight.
If you would like to see one in action here's a phone video of one of mine.

Please, from here on, if you don't have a recommendation that you are using, please don't comment.

So far, all of the comments have been less than useless for me. I could have gotten, and did, get as much information by using google or duckduckgo and that is a sad statement for AGN...

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry

"that is a sad statement for AGN... "
You never said what you want to spend ? most AGN members know that cheap dot's do not work well . so "we" spend at a price that will work knowing we can change what the sight is used on . Personally i would not want a sight that would not work on any of my other guns .
Maybe just be satisfied with the open sights and have fun using the gun as is .

I put a "lesser expensive" on my Predom Lucznik and I always suspected that the sight wouldn't hold zero as they had on my Co2 pistols. I then replaced it with a Holosun and haven't looked back.

That's great that your Holosun has worked out great. I have heard good things about them.
I'm really looking at a general trend and as happy with positive comments as I am with negative ones so that we might get a broad spectrum conclusion.
A couple of the fullbore sites seem to have mixed results, but mostly they seem to reach a point of failure of the zero.

I have been inside 2.
The tiny LED emmitor seems to be glued onto an X, Y adjust strip of spring steel which are moved by the adjuster screws. The arrangement is a very common method across all price points.
I'm looking at how this might shift, how robust the glue location is. Also something which I've never seen discussed yet but something I thought of a few weeks back.
This is the light intensity. Auto adjust models, or when you select yourself.
If we increase/decrease how this then impact the position in the window.
Some of these things may have no bearing, but something is effecting.... I'll try and find it.

If I buy a pistol scope, it will have to be one where the eye-relief is enough that I can use it with my arms fully extended the way I shoot pistols.

No way am I going to put a "rifle" scope on a pistol.

A friend of mine had a .22lr target pistol with such a scope and it was marvelous! Unfortunately, he is dead so I have no way to ask what it was.

All my best!

Kerry