Recommendations for a new 10 Meter Shooter? (for a first gun)

Hey guys. This is Nate from Airgun Channel. I have shot alot of different airguns with all the reviews I have done. I am considering getting a 10 meter rifle to shoot at night inside or when the weather is bad.

My question: Can I buy a Hamerlli AR20 or a Crosman Challenger ($600-$900) or maybe the Air Force EDGE ($900) and get a good 10 meter experience? Or should I just get a $2-$3K Steyr or Walther. Another question: Are any of these guns regulated? 

If the cheaper guns fall short in accuracy or other areas, I will notice. I don't know anything about this 10 meter shooting. I guess you try and hit the bullseye all the time? I would be trying to put them through the same hole (maybe a few times) from a standing position? That sounds pretty awesome. I would not be competing, but that would be a cool skill to have. 

Crosman Challenger

PY-1927_Crosman-Challenger-PCP-_1505050159.1646987450.jpg

Air Force EDGE (Also in Red)

airforce-edge-blue-177-cal-2.1646987514.jpg

Hammerli AR20

hammerli-ar20-pro-silver-11.1646987560.jpg

Steyr Challenge

challenge-challenge-connect-gerade.1646987700.png

Walther LG400

walther-lg400-alutec-competition-air-rifle-2.1646987796.jpg

Hey Nate, if I remember correctly you’re not a fan of AirArms, but the S200 is a superb 10 meter rifle in my opinion. This is a .177 and it can shoot one hole groups at 10 meters off bags and bench. Plus they are balanced and nicely finished and just feel good to shoot off hand. The downside is that it’s single shot. I have the magazine for it too and it works well, but the accuracy suffers a bit with the magazine. Not sure how much they are now but I paid around $600 from pyramid years ago. It was my second airgun after my marauder and I still shoot it a lot! 
DC1AE7EC-8EC0-4709-A463-E7293C34FBBE.1647005438.jpeg

I have a FWB 603 single stroke pneumatic and a Anshutz 2002 PCP. Both are high end and affordable in used market. Pilkington is a good source to contact with your questions.

My rifles are works of art. I would suggest go high end and just enjoy the top of the line equipment. The triggers are soooo nice and one hole accurate. You can even scope these rifles if you wish. 

The ten meter game is about position, position, position, and of course trigger control. Ten meter guns are not inherently more accurate, but they are designed to help the shooter find and perfect a position that minimizes wobble when shooting standing. This takes months of dedicated practice. Your typical semi-serious basement shooter would be happy with a score in the eighties, delighted with a score in the low nineties. One hole groups do happen, but rarely.

That said, if this kind of shooting is what you are interested in I would recommend buying a mid-range gun from one of the major players. Otherwise you will always wonder if your scores would be better if you had just spent a little more money.

My concerns would be fit, weight, and long term service. You don't drop one of these guns off at your local gunsmith for servicing. Some brands are better than others at stocking parts for older models.

Although I like the look of wood and steel, the newer modular designs are designed for more adjustability in fit, including sight height. Since I shoot off the palm, an adjustable palm rest would be of particular importance to me.

Weights for most of the top end guns will range from around 8 1/2 to over 10 pounds. The general recommendation is that beginner or casual shooters start at the lower end of the weight range. Weight can be added later as experience grows.

For specific recommendations, I would go to targettalk.org. My stab at a recommendation would be an FWB Evolution TOP.

Chuck

Nate, you don't have to break the bank. A tad over $700 and you have a quality gun that will shoot with the best of them.
Screenshot_20220311-073117_Chrome.1647002114.jpg

This is very good advice. The SSP Feinwerkbau rifles are beautiful pieces of engineering and are almost ergonomically perfect. They can usually be found for very reasonable prices and will outshoot you all day long. That, and you need no other support equipment. One easy stroke of the cocking lever and you’re ready to shoot.

Good luck.

Try googling a air gun club, match ,etc in your area. Mostly the matches that come up are 10 meter matches. Often junior matches. Doesn’t make any difference if it’s a junior or adult match or club. Contact them or just show up. Shooters are more than willing to maybe bring in a new shooter and will let you feel the fit of their guns or any other information they can share. Then you can buy after you try. Word of caution. Never challenge a teenage girl 10m shooter because she will clean your clock target after target.

Try googling a air gun club, match ,etc in your area. Mostly the matches that come up are 10 meter matches.

Great idea! Hanging out at a few matches would teach me alot about the guns. I'm sure those guys know thier stuff. 

How much do you want to spend. 🙂

20220207_173515.1647049923.1647054726.jpg

I just bought a used anshutz 8002 s2 from the shooting coach at Mississippi College. Around $1600 for the gun, sights, riser, barrel weights, and spare cylinder. They can be had and are stupid accurate

Dang! I would pay $1600 for that no problem. Great deal! 

Nice combo by the way! -Nate 

2022.1647054799.jpg

I too am a new 10m shooter. I just moved to The Villages FL and found that they had a few ranges and an air rifle club. After a few days at the ranges and meetings some of the guys i’m kinda hooked. The thing is all of the club members went to have these very high end guns. I’m not ready to spend $4-6k for a PCP rifle, pistol, tank, etc. Hooked but not yet addicted I guess. 

I read all of the advice on this post about rifles. Thank you. Insofar as pistols, I did buy a Crosman 2300S, since I’m not ready for the PCP costs yet. But I really don’t like the feel of the grip and trigger. I’m getting ready to buy a AV-46M instead. Is there a better non-PCP competitive target pistol I should be looking at?

Unless you are feeble because of injury or age/maybe both, and this is not meant as a put down to anyone, get at least a medium weight rifle. Having some weight slows the wobble down in offhand to a more acceptable level. 

Just a few weeks ago I shot a S200 which is lightweight, at 10m, and it was much more difficult to get good scores with compared to my FWB601 or my friends 2001 Superair. 

Using a shooting coat also helps. 

Using NPOA will increase scores. 

Rest between shots.

Don't force the shot. The sight picture/SP must be as close to perfect as possible. Strive not to compromise!

Don't hesitate, get that trigger pulled ASAP when the SP is right because it won't last but a 1/4 second. 

Follow through. 

Reactions: BlindPig95