Recommendations for a .177 springer for my 9-year-old daughter?

My 9-year-old daughter wants to start shooting air rifles with me, but she can't deal with the weight and size of my FWB 300S, which has been my only air rifle for 25 years.

Being rather old-school, I'd like to get her something well-made. That said, even if I could find a 300S Junior, I don't want to spend quite that kind of money, at least until I know that she really loves the sport and is likely to stick with it.

Any suggestions of reasonably easy to find springers that would be easy to cock and hold for a girl her age? Most of what I see marketed these days for kids looks pretty poor.

Collectively, you folks have a LOT more experience and coverage of what's out there than I do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The best I can come up with is the HW30/ Beeman R7.

It's the easiest to cock of all the low powered break barrel springers that I have personally owned...and it can be detuned even further quite easily. (Of course,this can be reversed just as easily, as well.)

Replacement stocks are available at Pyramyd Air if length is a factor...just take a little off the butt.

When the child grows you can return the rifle to stock form.

Mike

Definitely the HW30. I have an R7 and my wife has an HW30. Her gun's barrel is a little longer and therefore easier to cock than my R7 which is an older scope-only-gun with the factory muzzle "brake". Also, the barrel detent (?) on the HW30/R7 is a ball which makes breaking the barrel open easier than the chiseled detents on the larger HW guns, including the R8, which hurts her hand to whack open. Here is a pic of how I have my wife's HW30 currently set up. For all intents and purposes it is just accurate as my FWB300SU at 10 yds. and a heck of a lot easier and fun to shoot. An accurate, high quality air rifle will be a joy for your daughter to shoot and encourage her to continue.

1594099663_8382193995f0407cf6271f3.00171925.JPG

Definitely the HW30. I have an R7 and my wife has an HW30. Her gun's barrel is a little longer and therefore easier to cock than my R7 which is an older scope-only-gun with the factory muzzle "brake". Also, the barrel detent (?) on the HW30/R7 is a ball which makes breaking the barrel open easier than the chiseled detents on the larger HW guns, including the R8, which hurts her hand to whack open. Here is a pic of how I have my wife's HW30 currently set up. For all intents and purposes it is just accurate as my FWB300SU at 10 yds. and a heck of a lot easier and fun to shoot. An accurate, high quality air rifle will be a joy for your daughter to shoot and encourage her to continue.

The man speaks wisdom. Dan on GTA has a John Thomas buttoned piston fully tuned RWS 27 w/ Williams sights. I don't remember if Diopter or notch but I definitely prefer notched for anything other than a clean white target. 
It's priced pretty fair considering the cost of the tune.

And if it's the same Diana 27 I traded John long ago I know he tuned it for his Grandson.

+1 Weihrauch HW30/Beeman R7 Checks all the boxes. Easy to cock, size, accurate, well made German gun, will not brake bank, has great resale value in case she decides to stop shooting - but you may decide to keep it anyway (I will never sell mine) 

1594115144_4524162495f044448b540f6.68581708.jpeg

I could have cried when I saw I missed a stock grey laminate HW30 w/ factory sights sold for $250 shipped.

I have a John in PA buttoned HW30 but I'm an addict, and I recognize that fact. $250 grey laminate though. Who could blame me

The man speaks wisdom. Dan on GTA has a John Thomas buttoned piston fully tuned RWS 27 w/ Williams sights. I don't remember if Diopter or notch but I definitely prefer notched for anything other than a clean white target. 
It's priced pretty fair considering the cost of the tune.

And if it's the same Diana 27 I traded John long ago I know he tuned it for his Grandson.

Forgive my ignorance, but what it "GTA"?

Now for a recommendation from the dingy shadows where inexpensive guns are found...

Gamo G2 Recon. Break barrel that requires less than 18 lbs of effort. Very, very light composite stock that can take plenty of hard knocks from unintentional bumps/drops. Very good fiber optic type sights with the front sight protected by a metal globe (cage, more or less). Comes in .177 and shoots surprisingly well for accuracy. Low power yet can handle targets out to 25 yards no sweat. Under $100 easy enough to find. Trigger is stiff but not creepy and the barrel is covered in synthetic material that keeps it fairly quiet and definitely backyard friendly.

Personally I would not put out more than $100 for a child's gun as there is no guarantee that she'll be shooting once puberty sets in and boys appear on her radar. Just my experience but I've not regretted any aspect of it.

PM me if you want more information as I bought one for my 9 yr old granddaughter some years ago. I still take it out every so often for backyard shooting.

The little guy in my avatar (our son, Nash, back when) couldn't even handle our R7 at 9. He did like to shoot a little Gamo 120 (sold by Daisy and not available for some years now) Small, cheap, light and easy for him to cock and hold up. But even that stock was too long. He shot it with the stock in his armpit..

Perhaps a little vintage Slavia would fill the bill. Not too hard to find those

He also liked this little Italian underlever (he's holding it in the avatar photo) but you're not ever going to find one.

1594180351_7876293315f0542ff3e5169.01560460.jpeg
1594180351_6459096165f0542ffd40b27.00142947.jpeg

The little guy in my avatar (our son, Nash, back when) couldn't even handle our R7 at 9. He did like to shoot a little Gamo 120 (sold by Daisy and not available for some years now) Small, cheap, light and easy for him to cock and hold up. But even that stock was too long. He shot it with the stock in his armpit..

Perhaps a little vintage Slavia would fill the bill. Not too hard to find those

He also liked this little Italian underlever (he's holding it in the avatar photo) but you're not ever going to find one.

I have a 7 and 5 year old, as well as 9 and 7 YO nephews, and I've done a TON of research on this, so OP, please feel free to PM me if you want more info. 

I'd agree with KWK's - an HW30/R7 is a terrific gun, but it will be too big for a 9 year old. My 9 year old nephew is very tall for his age and its too big even for him. Too much weight, and the length of pull is the same as "full size" Weihrauchs. Also, the reach to the trigger (which is kind of long on Weihrauchs even for adults, is even harder for little hands to manage.

I'd make two suggestions: The Umarex Embark is a great youth gun with a properly short length of pull (12" vs 13.75" for a HW30), easy cocking, has an anti-beartrap, and a decent trigger (long second stage, but smooth - good for kids to learn proper trigger technique. It's used for the Student Air Rifle Program. Good accuracy and can be scoped (but you'll need something very short). Tom Gaylord did a write-up a few years ago. https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017/05/umarex-embark-breakbarrel-spring-rifle-part-1/ Also, the Ruger explorer is virtually the same gun, but sights on the Embark are better. 

Here's my 5 year old son (who is 49" tall and more like a typical 6-7 year old: Notice he is able to get good head placement, although his left hand can't really stretch very far up the forestock.

1594219268_11606157225f05db048c5674.90400459.jpg

9YO Nephew (big for his age) with same gun:

1594225310_3323146835f05f29e0a41a6.52361101.jpg

My other suggestion is a vintage youth springer. Even guns like the Embark are going to be 5+ pounds and relatively heavy for offhand shooting until kids get more like 12+. The vintage youth guns have NOTHING like them today and are so cool. Totally scaled down and very diminutive - these are all a little more than 3 pounds. Think of an HW30 and shrink everything by a third and you'll end up with one of these. Choices include:

Slavia 618 or 619 (virtually identical guns) or 624 (identical but barrel is maybe 1.5" longer); or a Diana 23, (or maybe a 25, which is a little bigger but I'm not sure by how much). Only idiosyncrasy with the Slavias is that the length of pull is practically adult-sized. I picked up an old, beat up 618 and promptly chopped off a little too much stock to get it down to about 11.25" for my kids. At some point, I'm going to add a a piece back to make it longer again - between 12 and 12.5" is manageable for kids but still usable for adults. Here is my son with it (it fits him perfectly)

1594219966_5524634585f05ddbeea97a2.45505234.jpg

9 YO nephew with the same gun, shooting offhand:

1594225341_1799893165f05f2bd829b95.51409177.jpg

Here you can see that the LOP is actually a little too short for him. I measured and found that 12" would be about perfect for him. 

Here is my 7 YO daughter (who is 53" tall and more like 8-9 size-wise) with Diana 23 - this stock is unmolested and has a LOP of just under 13" - you can see it's still a bit too long for her, and even though the gun is a little over 3 pounds, it's heavy for her to manage offhand - hence the goofy stance, with her leaning back to keep her balance:

1594220301_5073986145f05df0d0a0cb5.14274150.jpg

Here is a look at the various guns, with triggers lined up to get a sense of the differences in LOP. From top to bottom:

• Chopped Slavia 618 - LOP originally 13.75" (same as HW30); now about 11.25" in the middle (yes, I did a horrific job cutting the stock down)
  • Slavia 624 - LOP about 13.75 (same as the HW30) This one is basically for me to play with, so I'm leaving it as is.
  • HW30 - LOP about 13.75"
  • Diana 23 - LOP about 13"
  • Umarex Embark - LOP 12"

1594221223_19687057465f05e2a7988297.60642458.jpg

Notice how the HW30 looks much bigger than the vintage guns.

If I was starting all over, I would buy one of the vintage springers and (properly!) chop the stock down to about 12.5" - that would be good for the kids but still perfectly usable for adults. You would end up with a nice gun that is as light and easy to manage as a little BB gun, but with FAR better accuracy and no worrying about BB ricochets. Watch out for broken stocks and bent barrels - there is no safety or anti-beartrap on these vintage guns, so a lot were fired while the barrel was down. My 618 was one of them - it looked ok, but the stock had been repaired and I did have to bend the barrel down - even with open sights, it was shooting 5" high at 10 yards when I got it!. But can be done easily.

And if I was going to buy a second one, I'd get an Embark, which is good for the bench and eventually for shooting offhand, and can be scoped with a bug buster or something similarly short if desired. I like these guns, but it might be a little heavy for offhand shooting until your daughter gets a little older. 

Lastly, I'll say all these (particularly the vintage guns) are great for carefree plinking, even for adults. I have done a lot of "testing" of these and remembered how much fun it is to be lobbing pellets offhand with open sights at a tin can 25 yards out. It's just like being a kid again!