Recommendation on a 2nd PCP

First time posting here and I enjoy the forum. I’m looking for recommendations on a new PCP, in .22 or .25 cal. I currently have a Daystate Huntsman MKII in .177 - the only PCP I’ve ever owned. I gradually made it to an Air Arms TX 200 in the 1990s, but once I shot a PCP, I was hooked. I bought my Daystate used in about 1999 and sold my TX200. It’s still a tack driver after all these years and I’ve never had to do anything to it. I suppose I’ve just had particularly good luck in the past 20 years with a trouble free PCP, and it makes me wonder if other Daystates are that well made and trouble free. I’m definitely not looking to sell it.

I mainly shoot for pest control in the backyard - quitely dispatching squirrels and chipmunks. My Daystate is kept in the pantry, and it sometimes sits for 3-6 months at a time. When the squirrels get a little plentiful, I drill a few, and it never seems to drift off of POI at 25 yards. I’ll take it into the woods in the fall and winter a few times, but that’s about all I shoot. I have retirement coming in the next couple of years, so I should have more time to shoot and I thought I’d treat myself to a new PCP.

It’s an understatement to say that things have changed in the past 2 decades in the PCP world since I bought my Huntsman MKII. Electronic triggers, rotary multi-shot mag feeders, regulated, dual regulated, bull pups, higher pressures, AR15 platform, slug liners, etc… a lot of choices, and a lot of things that can go wrong (probably debatable). Also, looking at the new toys on the market with all the videos and reviews is its own enjoyment.

I’m not at all in any hurry to buy anything, but I’ve been looking at 2 Daystates - a Huntsman Revere and a Wolverine HP, both of which are regulated. I’m partial to Daystates, but only because I’ve had such good luck, and because of the 5 year warranty.

Any input on these or other alternatives would be appreciated. Thanks!

I actually thought about the Delta Wolf, but for a few seconds only. I'm afraid that with all the bells and whistles, it would go the way of any new kitchen appliance or HVAC unit purchased today. These things get about half the life of those purchased 20 years ago. So the life span of a Delta Wolf might be 10 years - who knows. It sure would make a great retirement present to myself though.

buy a red wolf. I get a kick out of these guys that worry over the electronics. Good golly it is 2020 not 1920. I'll tell you what. I've had several regals and currently own a revere. It's a sweet gun but it's not all that much different then what you have. I also agree you certainly don't need another gun but if you are buying one and favor the daystates the Red Wolf is the way to go. They show up on the classified forum from time to time. The trigger is unbelievable just a nice gun, No effort to cock. Quiet uses air efficiently

Stop driving your modern day car controlled by electronics stop using your cellphone quit using computers online stop watching TV if electronics worry you.

The difference between your preferred 2 Daystates are the higher shot count and bulk and weight and price. They should both shoot equally as accurate.

I would grab the lighter gun for pestimg that's why my 5.0 pound Benjamin Maximus 6.5 pounds to include Leupold 6.5-20x40 AO EFR and mount a TKO silencer and Crosman Challenger trigger and guard gets shot more than my 8.5 pound Daystate Redwolf 12.5 pounds with scope and mounts and Huggett and bipod.

Good point on the bullpup - never really thought about that. I've never shot one. And a Red Wolf - I could buy in to that if during retirement I had a few acres to shoot (which is a distinct possibility). Those Edgun Leishy 2 videos on YT are hilarious to watch and would be a blast with the backyard squirrels. I might have to reconsider a personal guideline, to never sell a gun or an acoustic guitar!

After shooting a traditional rifle for 20 years I would suggest treating yourself to something different:

A bullpup 👍

I will go ahead and take this set and spike it home: Check out the Taipan Veteran or the Kalibrgun Cricket for the win. Don't think you can go wrong with either of these. Bomb proof, rugged, reliable, and accurate. If you are in GA, give Charlie a call at GA. You seriously can't do better than that. It is the reason I got a Kalibrgun, local dealer with solid reputation. Where in GA are you? 

After shooting a traditional rifle for 20 years I would suggest treating yourself to something different:

A bullpup
1f44d.svg

I will go ahead and take this set and spike it home: Check out the Taipan Veteran or the Kalibrgun Cricket for the win. Don't think you can go wrong with either of these. Bomb proof, rugged, reliable, and accurate. If you are in GA, give Charlie a call at GA. You seriously can't do better than that. It is the reason I got a Kalibrgun, local dealer with solid reputation. Where in GA are you?

What about the FX Wildcat?

A bullpup
1f44d.svg

What about the FX Wildcat?

Are YOu being silly?!

I have a Huntsman and a Wolverine. I like my Wolverine but it is Long and Heavy. I really have made an effort to like carrying it around but haven't warmed up to packing it around. They are both 177. I have shot higher scores with the Huntsman in hunter FT but I think it should be the other way around. The huntsman is a nice rifle. I would actually like to get a 22 for shooting pests. I really have wanted a Taipan but one thing or the other I have not gotten one. I have shot a redwolf off a bench and it was nice. The stock fits most better than the wolverine due to the adjustable comb. But I don't think I would like carrying it around either. Now one thing about the huntsman or wolverine. They are nice looking rifles. I dont have a scratch on any of my guns firearms or pellet rifles. Letting the chickens out or opening gates is tough with a nice rifle. So I carry around a P-Rod more than those two. I can lay it on a stump or lean it on a tree safely.

Don't know much about the Taipan Veteran or the Kalibrgun Cricket. Are these regulated? I wonder how difficult would they be to repair (get parts/seals) in say 10 years if needed? Just something I think about that may not be a real issue. I've read good things about the Veteran though, especially on this site, so I'll check these out some more. I'm north of ATL outside of Marietta.

The FX Wildcat - I just watched a review that was pretty negative on it. That's probably (hopefully) anecdotal info, as FX makes fine products. 

Thanks, oldsparky, for your comparison of the various Daystates. I'm definitely looking for something that can reach out +50-75 yards to drop squirrels and shoot targets, hence the interest in a .22 or .25. I'd still want something that is quite and backyard friendly, so I'm thinking that a .25 might be too loud (?) even with the best suppressors.

I own two Daystate Pulsars in .22, one standard and one high power. I also have a Taipan Veteran long in .22. It has an added power plenum and will shoot almost as hard as the Pulsar high power. I really like my two Daystate rifles and wouldn’t want to part with them, however if I was forced to sell two of my rifles the Veteran wouldn’t be going anywhere. 

Sorry, but I should have answered your question above. Yes the Veteran and Cricket are regulated. They are both simple to work on. To tell you how simple, Charlie at Georgia Airguns gives a lifetime reseal warranty with either one if you buy it from him. I bet if you ask him he hasn’t had to reseal that many, these models are just overbuilt and you just don’t hear of many issues at all with them. I would imagine it wouldn’t be difficult to find seals for either in the future. They are built like tanks and will be around for a long time. My Veteran is the quietest PCP I have been around, it’s surprising that a rifle with that much power can be that quite. I do recommend trying to find someone near you with a bullpup for you to look at. You might just not like it, some people prefer a more traditional rifle like your Daystate. I like both but prefer the bullpup design for the shorter overall length and better balanced feeling when I am shooting them. Good luck with whatever you decide, I don’t think you will make a bad choice with Daystate or Taipan.