Recommendation for springer airgun for camping and survival for a couple hundred dollars (asking for a friend)

Per my friends request, "Question for you. If you were to buy a couple hundred dollar air rifle for camping survival type use what would you recommend? Preferably something manually pumped so its self contained and unlimited use. Probably for birds and smaller critters."
$225 dollars and you can get a Crossman Mag Fire. This is a break barrel with a synthetic stock and a five year warranty, and a multi shot Magazine similar to Gamo rifles. However the Mag Fire is much more accurate. You also get included a 3 by 9 with A/0 centerfire scope.
Camping and or exposure to rain, wet, dirt, brush, rifle leaned up against a tree, strapped to a backpack the next day and drug through trails and brush, this is an ideal rifle for that.

As for all the pump up rifles currently on the market and introduced in the past 7 or 8 years, they all have serious problems with the pump systems. All of them have a very small pump piston that wears out more sooner than later. When you add the words survival and reliable to the equation, none of the current pump up rifles can be considered reliable. A great many of them fail the first week, go read the reviews on them and none of them so far have proven to be satisfactory in short term let alone long term. It is quite the chore to tear them down and replace the small pump seal or replace with double O rings.

Kit

Reactions: pdxFrank
I have Seneca Dragonfly MK2 in 177. Very easy to pump many times. On the gun, i have:
- Moderator (it comes with adapter, just need moderator only)
- Scope
- A buttstock pouch: inside i have two cans of 177. (500 total), extra magaine, Oring replacements, allen wrenches, pocket knife, patchworm, etc

Everything is attached to the gun. I can take this without anything else and shoot 500 rounds in the woods. I guess i could add bipod, slings or better attachemtns… but im new to air guns. I am using non-lead pellets to reduce weight of carrying.

Assuming for small game survival/camping hunting, no specific rifle but I would want the following:
1. Synthetic stock - for lower weight and better weather resistance
2. Common usage caliber .177 or .22 (potentially .25)
3. Iron sights - Optical scopes add weight and potential for damage, if scope dies you'll still have sights. Rear peep sight preferred.
4. Gas piston vs actual springer - Read about some cold temperature issues with springer main springs (could be fake news..) Can also keep cocked longer.
Regards

Reactions: Fixedflinger
I had a similar question as to what I wanted in my truck. The answer was a Benjamin break barrel in .22. If it’s going to spend extended time in the field the wood stock my not be the best answer but it’s been stored in a flexible case under the back seat so I’m not concerned about corrosion or stock issues. If I wanted a walk around rifle the Benjamin Maximus is good also but limited in number of shots before refill. Several others already mentioned. This is the kind of question you like to have, many good options.

Rick H

Reactions: badger5th
I had a similar question as to what I wanted in my truck. The answer was a Benjamin break barrel in .22. If it’s going to spend extended time in the field the wood stock my not be the best answer but it’s been stored in a flexible case under the back seat so I’m not concerned about corrosion or stock issues. If I wanted a walk around rifle the Benjamin Maximus is good also but limited in number of shots before refill. Several others already mentioned. This is the kind of question you like to have, many good options.

Rick H
I have a Benji Trail NP2 (gas piston) in 22. Solid 20 fpe and decently accurate at typical springer ranges. Reasonably quiet shrouded barrel. NO factory sights, so need to add a base and a sight (irons or optic). The trigger is not great but potentially could be tuned? Available under $200-$250 range.

I have Seneca Dragonfly MK2 in 177. Very easy to pump many times. On the gun, i have:
- Moderator (it comes with adapter, just need moderator only)
- Scope
- A buttstock pouch: inside i have two cans of 177. (500 total), extra magaine, Oring replacements, allen wrenches, pocket knife, patchworm, etc

Everything is attached to the gun. I can take this without anything else and shoot 500 rounds in the woods. I guess i could add bipod, slings or better attachemtns… but im new to air guns. I am using non-lead pellets to reduce weight of carrying.
Good setup for a day hike/shooting. For a hypothetical survival scenario weight and compactness of the accessories is the big thing. Scope adds weight and bulk, Irons should be fine at typical springer ranges under 50 yards. Go with a 3D printed moderator to keep that weight down, lose the bipod, use traditional prone rifle position with a shooting sling (arm loop type). Hollow butt stock is a great feature. The added weight of lead vs alloy is about 3-4 ounces for 500 pellets. Alloys can also go supersonic (more noise) and then lose accuracy when going trans-sonic. I would recommend lead but If the alloys shoot better for you than lead then disregard last bit. Regards