• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Recommendation for gunsmith for airgun barrel

FIRST buy a bubble level for it and make good use of it. If it still not shooting as it should your gun is under warranty I suggest you make use of it rather than spend out of pocket money it simply just ain't right! Your gun already has a Lothar Walther barrel so if it ain't shootin straight... If your expectations are beyond the realm of reason for a 177 then that's another story... If it's not the shooter...but you haven't even tried to use a bubble level yet so who knows??? YO!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! and Yo, that is very generous of you to offer! Yo, where I'm going with all this is that I'm thinking about experimenting with barrel design itself not just replacing the (possibly defective) factory barrel with another one of the exact same design. Every design is a compromise or at least each design is engineered with a particular set of goals/priorities. Frankly I think that Brocock has designed their barrel/shroud configuration to be a good compromise with the UK's 12FPE requirements and the US's non-restricted environment.

In my experience with building precision rifles a properly built rifle would shoot just about everything well and would shoot purpose built ammo exceptionally well. I think the same thing is achievable with airguns and if a gun is exceptionally finicky with pellet types and velocity windows to achieve accuracy then in my opinion the issue is 99% with the barrel assuming all other mechanics are working properly (to include magazines, I've had similar issues as you have in the past).

Currently the factory barrel is about .375" in OD. I'm looking at putting the largest diameter barrel on it that will fit with the stock geometry which is about .750" for the factory shroud and LW makes a barrel with an OD of about .630". Further, the factory design has a bunch of what are essentially moving parts with the spacers supporting the shroud, the stripper on the end of the barrel, the shroud cap etc. All of these components have to return to exactly the same configuration/tension/position shot after shot for accuracy.

I think that by eliminating all of that and increasing the stiffness of the barrel by a huge amount it'll be more consistently accurate and repeatable over a larger velocity range and variety of pellets. Not to mention the exterior ballistics issues of all the shockwaves bouncing off of the stripper/shroud/muzzle cap/suppressor and upsetting the pellet before it leaves the assembly. And the overall length of free flight before it leaves the enclosure is significant at that.

I still say first bubble level then you got a warranty USE IT before spending out of pocket money. There's no guarantee your custom bull barrel LW will do any better. I know I had a LW machined for a Benjamin Discovery. I paid 2x because the first barrel shot the same as the one stock Crosman barrel. Well maybe just a LITTLE better. YO!