Recommend my first PCP gun, $1500 budget.

having gone through all this back in early 2000 i can tell you shooting a decent air rifle and having a good large 4500 psi cf tank is a much better life style than a little nicer gun and a hand pump ! maybe some sunny afternoon you feel like shooting with out all the exercise ! its about 15 bucks to re fill your tank , and you dont have to plug your tank in when you need air , takes about 15 seconds to fill your gun from 2k back 3300 or 3600 psi or what your gun is made to hold , if you have a .22 cal multi shot your going to get a lot of shots with out all the exercise , low heart rate makes for better shooting too! you can get a good scope 175 or less , but that pumping will pump the fun out of shooting , just saying .... have fun but a 200 dollar pump in the closet could have went for a nice scope!

Why limit ypurself to lower tank pressures? Just because the tank holds 4300 psi doesn't mean you have to pump 4300, you can stop pumping any time you want but what do I know I'm 54 years old and I can manage to pump my PCP to 4350 all the time.

I almost didn't get into PCP's because all the negative talk on pumping but I decided to give it a try with a cheap Amazon hand pump and I'm glad I did because hand pumping isn't that big of a deal.

if you havent used a hand pump you need to know .... it may look like a bicycle tire pump . but until you start to use one you'll know it was a not so good idea for charging your gun . you'll probably realize before your gun is full that this isnt what you expected , most of us have one in the closet we wont use or have given it away to a friend like you to help you get started , then you use it for its second time and in the closet it will go !! 

Why limit ypurself to lower tank pressures? Just because the tank holds 4300 psi doesn't mean you have to pump 4300, you can stop pumping any time you want but what do I know I'm 54 years old and I can manage to pump my PCP to 4350 all the time.

I almost didn't get into PCP's because all the negative talk on pumping but I decided to give it a try with a cheap Amazon hand pump and I'm glad I did because hand pumping isn't that big of a deal.

I am your age too and pump by hand. However I would say I have only a Daystate Revere with 162cc with fillpressure of 250Bar.

I use to have a Rapid with 500cc I also handpumped to 250Bar which was a true workout. Today I wouldn’t waist energy for such volume. Filling a 162cc airtank is no problem.

If you have access to a source of air, I would recommend getting a good CF tank. I guess I'm a overly cautious, but I don't want to mess with high pressure air any more than necessary. And I suspect that a dive shop's equipment might be more reliable in removing moisture. That said, I know that many folks are very satisfied with their compressors, and the convenience would be nice.

I started out with a .25 Marauder and a Hill pump and it was awesome. I’d shoot about 25 or 30 shots and then fill the gun, if I remember correctly it was about 70 pump strokes for 25 to 30 shots. Don’t hold me to that, but I’m pretty sure it’s right in there. I then bought a carbon fiber bottle and had it filled at a dive shop for awhile. Finally I got a compressor. So knowing what I know now, I would buy a large bottle to fill at a dive shop, and look for a used Crown. Doesn’t have to be a carbon fiber bottle, you can get a used fireman’s bottle for cheap I’ve heard. And it doesn’t have to be a Crown either, lots of good advice was given above for other excellent rifles. I’m betting you can get set up really good for $1500 if you consider used. I’d just recommend that you only buy from a known member here with feedback, and don’t fall for a scammer pretending to be a member. Someone is always selling a high end rifle at a discount because they have been bitten by the bug and are upgrading to a RedWolf or something, it’s probably going to happen to you too lol!

Oh yeah and then you’ll get tired of going to the dive shop and you’ll get a compressor as well! But then your done, because everyone knows one rifle is enough right? Have a great time finding your rifle and let us know what you pick.