Recommend me pistol options for a vintage collection

Aside from my modern PCPs which I really enjoy shooting, I have a bug for really nice vintage pistols. Not really interested in 1800s or turn of the 19th century stuff as those are generally in pretty poor condition and are generally function over form. I guess my niche would be the 1940s through 1970/80s era. When design and form were still a part of the equation and all the gaudy warnings and legal junk weren't silk screened all over an otherwise nice pistol. I'm also more interested in spingers, SSP and CO2 than pumpers.

Here's a list of some I've acquired. Not all fit the exact "vintage" description above, but have qualities that make them aesthetically pleasing to the eye and a joy to hold and shoot.

• Beeman P11
  • Brocock Model 1851 Navy .22 BACS
  • Crosman 150 w/ White Grips
  • Crosman Mark 1 .22
  • Crosman Mac1 LD .20 10” w/shroud
  • Daisy 777
  • Edgun Veles .177
  • Edgun Veles .22
  • FWB 90 w/ Electronic Trigger
  • HYHunter American Luger
  • Hy-Score 700 .177
  • Hy-Score 802 .22
  • Hy-Score 802b Repeater .22
  • Hy-Score 803 .177/.22
  • Rohm Twinmaster Match CO2 .177
  • Smith & Wesson 79G
  • Walther LP Model 3 .177 Wood Target Grip
  • Weihrauch HW70 Vintage Model
  • Weihrauch HW75
I'm still looking to add a Crosman 600, Walther LP53, S&W 78G and UK made Webley but some are hard to find while others are asking ridiculous prices.

I'm curious to hear from others which models and variants are essential to a nice pistol collection.

Here's a list of some I've acquired...
  • Beeman P11
  • Brocock Model 1851 Navy .22 BACS
  • Crosman 150 w/ White Grips
  • Crosman Mark 1 .22
  • Crosman Mac1 LD .20 10” w/shroud
  • Daisy 777
  • Edgun Veles .177
  • Edgun Veles .22
  • FWB 90 w/ Electronic Trigger
  • HYHunter American Luger
  • Hy-Score 700 .177
  • Hy-Score 802 .22
  • Hy-Score 802b Repeater .22
  • Hy-Score 803 .177/.22
  • Rohm Twinmaster Match CO2 .177
  • Smith & Wesson 79G
  • Walther LP Model 3 .177 Wood Target Grip
  • Weihrauch HW70 Vintage Model
  • Weihrauch HW75
I want to know what your top three favorites are from that collection..

I want to know what your top three favorites are from that collection..
Wow - I don't think I could pick a top 3. I am enthralled with so many of them. Going to exclude some of the newer ones and the PCPs.

1 - HY Hunter American Luger - just wow. what a freaking awesome pistol. This thing hits hard. Accuracy isn't awesome at distance as it's shooting round balls, but I've cranked up the power and hit close to 7fpe. 8 shot repeater. The trigger is really nice.
2 - Crosman Mark 1 .22 - such a pleasure to shoot, very accurate - I've come close to shooting 1/2" 5 shot groups off hand but always seem to blow it with one of the shots.
3 - Hy-Score 700 .177 - Easy to cock. This particular model is super quiet too. Accurate enough at 10-20 yards. These Hy Scores have very light triggers. Something about their unique design just puts them spot on.

Runner ups - Walther LP3, FWB 90 and the 79G

@beerthief - I wish there were airguns shows up here in the northeast. This is mostly stuff from estate sales, AoA used, ebay and few from AGN classifieds.

Only older gun that I have is the Beeman/Webley, Tempest, in 177. A single pump gun. The lever at the back (left side) that looks like a safety, is the barrel release. Lift the barrel one time, secure it in the latch, aim and pull the trigger. The rear sight is highly adjustable. The safety is the big lever above the trigger.
About as simple as it gets.

It worked extremely well for me, for all of these years. Tells me that it's got a very good design.

I have no idea what it's age is...but I bought it back in the late 80's. A little oil here and there, it still...shoots just fine.
This isn't mine, but visually it looks the same. Mine even has the same grip panels !

1668127656298.png

Mike

Last edited:
Webley Senior/ Mk1/Premier (first gen blued steel). They're built like tanks and require very little maintenance. The Tempest is the next generation of these Webley air pistols I listed. They're all-steel and are hefty. One note about the .22 version: they do need wider skirted pellets which could take some locating. The .177 doesn't have this issue and most pellets seem to fit. The Mk1 and Premier had an adjustable trigger, which the Senior did not have.

Premier with original box:
W_P.JPG

Premier with aftermarket grips:
IMG_0112.jpg

Only older gun that I have is the Beeman/Webley, Tempest, in 177. A single pump gun. The lever at the back (left side) that looks like a safety, is the barrel release. Lift the barrel one time, secure it in the latch, aim and pull the trigger. The rear sight is highly adjustable. The safety is the big lever above the trigger.
About as simple as it gets.

It worked extremely well for me, for all of these years. Tells my that it's got a very good design.

I have no idea what it's age is...but I bought it back in the late 80's. A little oil here and there, it still...shoots just fine.
This isn't mine, but visually it looks the same. Mine even has the same grip panels !

View attachment 304497

Mike
Mike - those grips are really nice. Is that wood or plastic?

Benjamin's first Co2 pistols were the Models 250 BB, 252 (.22) and 257 (.177). Phenomenal vintage Co2 pistols, but hard to find in better than hammered-s*** condition. This one was like new condition-

252 FL.jpg

Virtually any European ten-meter pistol is fantastic, including the Walther LP2 & LP3, Pardinis, Hammerli, and FAS 604.
LP2.jpg

Ham Master.jpg

FAS604S-2.gif

My Crosman 600 custom-
Scoped 600 custom.jpg

The Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams Match Pistol is the sexiest Crosman 150 variant-
TW VG LS.JPG

Happy Collecting,
Ron

AAP new cover small.jpg

A lot of good candidates here. (y) I would like to recommend the FWB C55. I have collected quite a few FWB pistols over the years and that includes all FWBs 5-shot pistols. And the coolest of them all is the C55. It blends old fashion German engineering, high precision machining and rapid fire competition shooting into a perfect blend. It's a not really vintage yet, but it's a genuine retro futuristic device. :) And it was used as a prop in Star Wars... 😁

Fun thread...lots of great selections above!

If you don't mind "future classics," motor over to your local Walmart or whatever, and pick up a Beeman P17, and Crosman 1322 or 1377. Truly, the two greatest pocket-change air pistols in the history of the world.

I agree an early "steel" Webley is a must for any collection.
7D939ECC-3D8D-4E10-AE9A-3628A2836EE5.jpeg

The Tempest is the classic modern Webley, but its stablemate the Hurricane is also excellent. The two are internally identical, but the Hurricane is longer, with click-adjusting rear sight, and a bit more weight - lots of fun to shoot. This one is missing its front sight hood and has aftermarket grips:
55DEB4CC-7F50-4E3B-B8AA-ADC310B89E76.jpeg

Another I'd recommend is a classic Diana barrel cocker (either the model 5, or the amazing recoilless models 6 or 10). This is an early 5 with wood grip/frame:
F56C675D-598A-4FE6-A29C-0A3476BD0FF8.jpeg

One more personal fave is the BSF S20. Hard-shooting, well-made, nice-looking, and usually not too hard to find or terribly pricey. The action is actually a cut-down junior-sized rifle with a unique "bull pupped" trigger mechanism:
1676C09A-995D-42D7-ABB9-981242F88AC8.jpeg

Last edited:
I collect air pistols from that same sort of era, A time when things were made properly!

A couple I would definitely recommend below

Haenel 28 or 28R (if you can find one)
Record Jumbo or Champion
BSF S20 as mentioned above
Falke 33
Diana Mk4

None of the above are particularly powerful or match grade accurate but they are well made, quite collectable and great fun to shoot!

I have a video that some of the above feature in as I explain how they are cocked and show them shooting

I have BOTH a Crosman 600 and a Crosman 38T I'd be willing to part with for not-so-ridiculous prices. They would need to be resealed since they haven't been shot in a while.

I inherited them after my good friend and mentor passed so I'd love to see them go to a really nice collection like yours. The CO2 pistols were never my schtick. If you're interested send me a PM.