• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Recommend me a rifle...pls

Hi folks, first poster here. I'm very familiar with firearms, but I don't even know where to begin with air rifles. I've been shooting since I was a little kid (Red Ryder), but I have not kept pace with the airgun world since I purchased my last one in 1998. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but I remember it being rated at 1000fps, .177cal. I still have it, and still shoot it. Anyhow, I am in the market for a new one. I would like to caliber-up to .22 or .25. I would like a "break action" style for cocking. I do not want to deal with refilling tanks. I would prefer wood. I would mount an optic. This will be used for pest control, mainly squirrels and rabbits around my house. My budget is flexible...I don't like buying the cheapest stuff, but I also don't want to ruin Christmas for the kids. I am thinking around $250-$400. If there is something just outside of that range that is significantly better, I wouldn't mind jumping up a little. I would purchase a decent optic separately. So, could anyone point me to a nice rifle that fits the bill? There is so much stuff out there that it's a little daunting to know where to start. Thanks folks. 

Thanks for the responses so far. It seems that RWS and Weihrauch are the way to go. Browsing through the Krale website I stumbled upon the HW77 SE . That pretty much ticks all of the boxes for me. I'm a sucker for laminate. I'm super glad I got involved with this forum. Keep the suggestions coming...maybe someone can shake me out of the HW77 saddle. I'm currently funding a CZ452. As soon as that's in the mail, one of these will be heading my way. Thanks again...you people are awesome.

If you have never owned a spring gun just be aware that there is a learning curve in shooting them. Artillery hold, etc. My experiences are not great but I do know the better quality you get the less hold sensitivity issues you will have and also, just my opinion, the more powerful, larger calibers are more hold sensitive. This is the limitation of the platform, again IMHO.

Long range, accurate and powerful is a tough combination to find in a spring gun. Where as a PCP is just point and shoot. Read A LOT!

Thanks for the responses so far. It seems that RWS and Weihrauch are the way to go. Browsing through the Krale website I stumbled upon the HW77 SE . That pretty much ticks all of the boxes for me. I'm a sucker for laminate. I'm super glad I got involved with this forum. Keep the suggestions coming...maybe someone can shake me out of the HW77 saddle. I'm currently funding a CZ452. As soon as that's in the mail, one of these will be heading my way. Thanks again...you people are awesome.

Krale’s prices and service are excellent. I bought my .177 hw97k from them and would do so again without hesitation. The hw77 SE is a great choice. With care, it will give you decades of accurate, trouble free, shooting.

R

Hi folks, first poster here. I'm very familiar with firearms, but I don't even know where to begin with air rifles. I've been shooting since I was a little kid (Red Ryder), but I have not kept pace with the airgun world since I purchased my last one in 1998. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but I remember it being rated at 1000fps, .177cal. I still have it, and still shoot it. Anyhow, I am in the market for a new one. I would like to caliber-up to .22 or .25. I would like a "break action" style for cocking. I do not want to deal with refilling tanks. I would prefer wood. I would mount an optic. This will be used for pest control, mainly squirrels and rabbits around my house. My budget is flexible...I don't like buying the cheapest stuff, but I also don't want to ruin Christmas for the kids. I am thinking around $250-$400. If there is something just outside of that range that is significantly better, I wouldn't mind jumping up a little. I would purchase a decent optic separately. So, could anyone point me to a nice rifle that fits the bill? There is so much stuff out there that it's a little daunting to know where to start. Thanks folks.

Be sure to research scopes, particularly with regards to "spring gun ready" scopes. Spring air rifles have a tendency to "eat" even the best of scopes, if they are not spring gun rated.